This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simplicity Sunstar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simplicity Sunstar
    Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 7:21am
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 20hp Sunstar with the v Kohler. One of the head gasket is blown causing crankcase pressure and pushing oil into the air cleaner. My question is how do I get the fan shroud off? Do I have to loosen the motor bolts and slide it forward? Or remove the hydraulic radiator and box. Either way doesn’t look like an easy job.
I just don’t want to do unnecessary work.

Thanks John
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
Sponsored Links

Orangeisgreat190 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeisgreat190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 8:34am
Hi John,
Yes, you will have to slide motor forward.  That is the only way to get shroud back far enough to get to the intake manifold bolts so head can be removed.  Quick tip.  You can leave driveshaft on.  If you take the cover off that is between your legs when on seat, that will get you into driveshaft at the back.  It is only splined and will slide off when motor moved forward.  By taking the belly cover off, it will allow you access to get your hands in there to line up driveshaft on splines when going back together (2 person job).  1 person line up driveshaft while other pushes motor back.  While slid forward it is a good idea to grease front u joint,  when back together you can grease rear u joint.  To slide forward, disconnect lights and remove 2 front hood pins.  Then, front pulleys and belts can be removed to allow it room to slide forward after removing motor mount bolts.  Then when slid forward you should have enough room to get shroud off to get to intake bolts.  From there you can remove head to replace gasket.  This is the easiest way I have found to do them and it eliminates the step of taking driveshaft off of engine/ trying to work inside of oil cooler(there is a little cover you can take off from underneath but no room to work)/ removing cooler and having hydraulics leaking everywhere.  Hope this helps.  Will
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 9:19am
Thanks Will. That is what I thought I was going to have to do. I need to get busy on it, the grass is growing.

John
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 4:47pm
Should head bolts in aluminum block be oiled or dry?
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic