This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silo 'reno'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fleeter allis fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silo 'reno'
    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:31pm
Hi All. I thought I would post a couple of photos of the 'reno' job I recently completed on my silo. My place was origionally part of a larger working farm. Most of the land was divided and sold in the past, and I have the origional farmstead and 25 acres that I operate as a hobby farm. The silo is pretty neat but needed some work. 

It was origionally built in the early 1950s by a man named Harold who owned the place at that time. It is built out of hand formed concrete blocks. Harold's son Alan is a friend of mine and according to him, Harold bought a form, and over two years, hand mixed concrete and made blocks throughout the winters. During the summers, he built the silo. 

It is about 13 feet in diameter and is about 28 feet tall.  There are 42 courses of 22 8"X8"X20" blocks, all hand mixed and hand poured. In total, there are 924 blocks.

Some of the mortar was falling out and the surface of some of the blocks was flaking away. I patched up all of the concrete with mortar and with parging compound, spray painted it with one coat of primer and one coat of exterior latex paint. My daughter did the artwork.

I am not aftaid of a bit of work, but I cannot imagine that anyone would ever tackle a job like that today. It is about 70 years old now, and I hope it stands for 70 more.

Have you ever seen one like that Calvin?
I'm a man...and I can change...if I have to... I guess.
'44 B, '46 WF, '49 G, 810GT, 916H, 620
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:44pm
Old timers sure weren't afraid to work. Great that you saved/preserved something unique 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:31pm
fleeter,
You really did a nice job restoring the special silo. A land mark for your White Silo Farm!
Thanks for sharing! Most folks now days would not take on the restoration project!
Great looking farm too!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:53pm

That right there is NICE, Fleeter. Tell your Daughter she done such a Great job,,,you gonna go buy her some more paint,,,,,,and,,,,and,,,a scaffold,,,,,ClapClap
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 9:48pm
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:59am
Outstanding job on restoring the silo. Your daughter did great on the artwork too. That barn looks nice enough to turn into a residence also.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 7:27am
NICE !!!!...
now, come Spring, the leaves will come back on that tree, right ???

sadly only one of 10 barns are still standing in my neck of the woods...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 8:18am
Thanks for sharing and restoring that silo. Nice barn too. Noticed that the blocks are textured on the outside. I suppose hidden somewhere in the blocks are some steel bands to hold the outward pressure of the sileage. Do you know if there is any interlocking feature about the blocks or are the sides all flat? As said above, I wonder how many young folds today would start and finish a project like that. Compliments to the artist too. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 8:32am
Great restore job.... I cant imagine making 1000 blocks BY HAND and then building that !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:17am
Looks great. A lot of work there in the original build and the restoration. Wonder if there is any reinforcement there? Kind of hard to do with block.
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 2:41pm
  Slightly off topic but I had a great uncle that worked for AO Smith and was on the design team for the Harvestore, I believe he also had a patent for the unloader. I don't know if he got his way but he wanted the base designed so being hit from equipment wouldn't ruin it, and that the top should resist a 22.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:15pm
Great job of restoring and beautiful art work by your daughter
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:20pm
If i built a silo, it would be 20 ft in diameter and 8 ft tall........... my BUTT dont need to be that high off the ground !  Wink

Do you still use the silo... or storage shed ?

Wonder why the face of the block is textured ?  What was the "FORM" made of ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 08 Feb 2021 at 4:25pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
fleeter allis fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 9:55am
Thanks everyone for all of the nice comments and questions.

Regarding the blocks, I believe the form used must have been something that was commercially available at the time. Probably steel or aluminum I expect. There are grooves formed in the blocks so they kind of interlock. They are also curved to follow the radius of the silo and textured on the outside. When I repaired some mortar joints, I could see some heavy steel wire in places. Between the wire and the interlocking feature in the design of the blocks, that has been enough to resist the pressure.

Regarding the height, it is 28 feet and I did the restoration and painting from ladders. There is only about three feet between the silo and the barn, so I couldn't really get around it with scaffold. I have quite a bit of experience with heights and ladders, but of course, you always have to be careful. Gravity never takes a day off. I used a 32 foot aluminum extension ladder for the top. I also have a 40 footer that I have used on the barn.

My daughter is the artist. I can barely draw a straight line. I have seen pictures of some beautiful silo art. I doubt if we can ever match some of them, but we may add more in the future. I have a small tree farm and we have cut your own tree sales at Christmas. We got a lot of compliments this year from customers who liked the silo and the artwork. We don't use it for anything really, except for a conversation piece.

Regarding the barn, the silo only took me a couple of weeks, the barn restoration took me about five years. I will see if I can dig up and post some before and after photos of the barn.

I'm a man...and I can change...if I have to... I guess.
'44 B, '46 WF, '49 G, 810GT, 916H, 620
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic