This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silo Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silo Question
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:33pm
Guys, I just finished up a build of a 850 forage blower.  Typical blower with the unloading trough with the optional B-125 power unit.  I didn't know they had a model number until I seen a decal called out in the parts manual.  I have made three sections of the blower tube and the curved spout at the top.
Can someone give the an idea of the height and diameter of a silo.  Thinking the old concrete type with no roof.   Thought I might make a model to display with the blower.

Tks,

Armand
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:59am
Ours was about 60' high, and I think they were in even numbers, 20-28' diameter...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:33am
16x50, Average size in my area for an old concrete stave silo.
My poured silo is 20x72, too big for your model I would think.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 11 Oct 2019 at 6:44am
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:38am
I have a 14x50 and 2- 20x60 concrete silos. Most silos in this area were 20x60.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:45am
I'll want to see the model concrete silo section forming machine that Armand will make so he can make the silo pieces !!

I have NO idea how one guy can make such beautiful miniatures ( they AIN'T 'models' ) !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Armand(AZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 6:41am
If I remember how to post a photo, this is the blower model.  This model represents the earlier version of the blower.  It I am correct (from info in the parts manuals I have) the first 1000 or so used the gathering chain delivery and had the B-125 as an optional power source.  Later versions used the belt in place of the gathering chain, and also used the flat belt drive but didn't mention the power unit.   I am sure some of you know better than I do if that is correct or not.

Edited by Armand(AZ) - 11 Oct 2019 at 6:59am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 6:52am
Jay, actually I have one of Calvin Schmidt's brochures on how his company makes poured concrete silos but I will pass on the idea!!  

Thanks for the confidence in my model making tho!!  LOL
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:22am
Armand, 
Man you do some awesome work! As I started to read this I was thinking real size blower! And I had flash backs to filling the old Unidilo silos at Dads place. We had two sided by side about 4 feet between them, I think they were 12- 14 foot in dia and I know they were 40 foot tall, open topped, wood staved with steel hoops. More hoops at the bottom. (about 2 feet apart at the bottom, 4 feet apart at the top.) Around the top was a series of boards, on the inside to make some structure. The blower like you built set in between them so the pipe could be swung from one to the other! 
You Just do Awesome work! Need more pictures of the build! I just love models!

As I read through some of the other sizes of bigger silos the scal of the Unidilo would be right for the machine. When the silos got bigger and taller. Farmers went to bigger tractor driven blowers. The 14 x 40 type was for a farm of the 50's with a heard of 40 -50 head of cows. I think that would be about the right scale and look.
Next you need the Allis fan type run by a good old WD narrow front! 
Are you building the back unloading wagon with the moving front bunk too?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Oct 2019 at 7:29am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:43am
Ya mean like this??  LOL   Finished this AC running gear and feed box last Feb.   Maybe I didn't post a picture of it.   

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:04am
Chris, another thought following your comments.   The curved shute at the top seemed to be out of proportion as to what was pictured in the parts manual, like about 4 feet from pipe to the outer end.  Maybe that is because the shute could be turned from one silo to the other as you mentioned without moving the blower??    I'll post a picture of the shute later.  Armand
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:05am
Armand,
 I may have missed that! Wow! very detailed chopper wagon! So we used the rear gate for the blower type you just completed and used the side auger with the smaller tractor driven silo blower. ( actually two completely different wagons)
Its going to be a very nice display!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:18am
My dad had a silo built in the early 60's, it was a 12x35'. I was just a kid. My friend, one year older than me, and I mixed the mud that the construction crew sealed the inside with.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 10:35am
Yes, the older open top silos were only 12' or 14' across and 30'  or so tall, back then you pitched the silage out so the didn't make them to wide as to limit spoilage from day to day
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 11:09am
Our silos are 14 x 40 on the farm I work on.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:11pm
Armand,
4 feet sounds about right on the chute dimension. They did not fill at the center of the silo. Just get it up there and in the hole. I believe they may have had a end flapper that was adjustable a little?? Lot of folks have perished from silo gas while in them, leveling off the fresh ensilage.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Oct 2019 at 2:56am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 11:04pm
jumbo pringles can?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 12:33am
Armand, I just sent you a pm with info for your Denver friend and asked what you were working on.  I should have checked out the forum first!
You could also consider making a blue Harvestor silo.  Always thought they looked cool, plus you didn't have to climb up into them every day and fork out silage.  When we helped fill silo there was a set of tubes on the inside of the silo too so the guy, or in my case, kid could direct the material all around and not have to fork as much, plus, walking around helped pack it better.  I don't think silo gas is too much of a problem when filling if it is done all in a day or two.  It's after it has started to ferment that is dangerous. I always enjoyed filling silo, now the silos are just piles of chopped corn compacted with a big tractor then covered with plastic and old tires to keep the plastic from blowing away.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 10:04pm
We have a small cement stave silo still standing on our farm that is 10 x 30. I would think that in the day that equipment was popular  14 and 16 foot diameter was a regular size and Height wise I would say 40 to 60 ft, A 20 x 80 would have been a big silo.
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:56am
Armand I don't believe that the B-125 power unit was large enough to fill a silo over 40 feet, I would think that many silos in that time frame would have been 12-14 feet in dia and 30 to 40 foot tall. Concrete stave was the popular material used also.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:14am
re: silo making
If the diameter 'works', a section of ABS or PVC  ? Turned on a lathe to make the joints where the sections of concrete meet, then vertical score for the horizontal joints .
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:23am
What memories of the 50`s and 60`s  you guys put out,  thrashing machines and silo fillers,  climbing up the chute to throw down silage.   You have no idea how much I admire you guys that redo tractors and machinery to beautiful pieces of art.  And the guys that have this magnificent ability to make models to such perfection that I have to study the piece and background trying to distinguish if it is the real thing or a model.  I feel the same way about cars,  trucks,  motorcycles, airplanes, and  steam engines.   I guess I must live in the past.  I am not a PC person,  and when I say "guys"  I certainly am not excluding our wives and daughters that without their approval and help,  many of us would be lacking.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:32am
weiner,
 Great comments! There are a lot of good folks on here that are willing to share! I respect the past but live for the future! My wife must be a saint to put up with my "problems"!
She didn't want to be a dairy farmers wife, so I chose to work in a office and help on the farm. 
Pitching out daily feed for 40 milk cows was a work out. about 150- 200 folks full. Then climb down and load it in a wheel barrow and feed two cows with each load. Then grain on top! Made lots of milk! I always hated milking wet, soggy, cows during the summer!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Oct 2019 at 5:44pm
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:26am
I've been involved in concrete silo construction since my first summer job when I was 16 and going to high school. My summer job became my business until the next generation took over in 2011. I still move the equipment. Left the farm silo business in 1994 to specialize in grain silo construction and any industrial application. The largest diameter
to date is 86' x 132' tall. This is reinforced poured concrete not a steel bin. It holds 16,000 tons or 500,000 bu. of corn and it was filled the first year. The blower and 125 engine would not do the job. 
In this area in the era of the A-C long hopper blower a 12' x 40' or 45' silo was the norm.
My Dad built a 14' x 50' in 1959 and the crew foreman asked him why he built it so big !!
How things have changed.   

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 14 Oct 2019 at 9:27am
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:11am
Our 1945(?) concrete stave silo was 14' x 40' with chute being of similar but thinner concrete staves. A 'three plow' tractor had adequate belt pulley horsepower; adding 1" thick wood to Farmall M belt pulley radius increased the belt speed necessary to prevent pipe clogging (of silage going up to top of silo). First two years I straddled top of silo staves and inched around to feed pull rope (through pulley at top ring) for pulling up the silage feed pipe; after that we left the pull rope for next year. Herb(GA)
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 11:20am
How about, when silo was full to top, adding a wooden picket fence so you could add another 4' of chopped corn, or what ever.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 4:16pm
I really enjoyed your sharing of silo stories and information!!   Guess I will need to come up with another dumb question!! LOL    So for me building scale, a 12' diameter real silo would be 9 inches in diameter.  I may get creative and turn it out of wood so I can cut the grooves and then wrap it with wire.   Tks,  Armand
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 4:49pm

Armand

I have an old Allis Forage Blower that I bot at an Auction many years ago for the Engine Power Unit.

I got bored one day and totally dismantled the Blower Unit.

It had the long shute with the Flat Belt.

The rear drive was through 3 V Belts. Had the Wagon Unloader Gear Box.

Engine is a D-14 size 149 cu.in.

Blower Ser. 400587

Engine Ser. 149 - 16981

Gary
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:48pm
Armand,
 We will need pictures of the silo build! I can just remember ours being put up in about 1957, and a couple young Amish guys walking around the top as they put the last staves in and finished up the top inside band. 
The pair of wooden silos stood for 40 years and would have gone longer if they would have had roofs!
 Sounds like you have a build plan! It will look real good with your AC blower and AC wagon! What AC tractor will you put on the wagon?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Oct 2019 at 5:50pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:20pm
years ago I had 80 acres of very wet corn still in the field. (about 25% moisture) a local dairy farm wanted some wet corn and got in contact with me for it. soooooo...about Christams time I was out with the "G" combine harvesting the corn. when I delivered it to the dairy, they had an Allis silage blower on their A.O.Smith Harvestor silo (blue one). these people were all green, and had a green blower setting about 50 ft away, I asked him why they weren't using it? he told me the Allis blower was 10 times better than the green one. I don't know how tall that silo was, but it was a tall one!   
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:27pm
Hey Chris!!   I'm thinking it would look pretty realistic if I used a D-17 high detail tractor.  I think I seen a photo by Jim Palmer and they were using a D-17.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic