This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silage Chopping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silage Chopping
    Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 8:50am
I guess I am a little homesick for days gone by........Anybody have any pics of corn chopping with A-C equip? Its that time of year!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Sponsored Links

jb from md View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb from md Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 10:09am
all i have is this one,stopped to eat some lunch and snapped it. i have some old ones but ill have to scan them.
8050 FWA, 190XT, 185, Styled wc, Unstyled wc, (2)C, (2)WD45NF, WD45WF, WD,416h, 716h, 312h, 8070 pedal.
VF Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VF Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 10:23am
We had a chopping crew come in and do ours but we had our 8030 on the blower

3-8550,7580,8070,8030,7010,7000,210,2-D21,2-D19,4-D17,wd's and wc's and old farm equipment
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 11:11am
I was talking to my 20 year old grandson last nite, Adam works for a farmer that contracts the manure disposal at dairies and some hog farms, and with the dairy farms chopping silage they can applicate rinse water and manure now. The tanks hold in the neighborhood of 500,000 gallons, and the dairies re-fill at the rate 0f 125-150,000 gallons per day. Yesterday he drove about 350 miles, with the trips only being about 4 miles, dairy to field. He drives a 377 Pete with a tank trailer, and fill time and empty time is something like 5-10 minutes.He guesses they will empty out about November.
Didn't mean to hijack the post, but just thought this was interesting.
p.s. bad thing is they use some kinda green tractor with yellow wheels!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 7:41am
Last year, made a few rounds. Uncle did most with 190 

[TUBE]F-QTZQG_b7Y&feature=channel&list=UL[/TUBE]

Edited by Don(MI) - 27 Aug 2012 at 7:42am
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:04am
Don, what turbo do you run on your D19?
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:17am
I can't remember for sure don, I believe its a rayjay turbo, it used to have a thompson on it. I have a new 'air research' turbo I bought new, it lays on the shelf now, because it DOES NOT sound like the older turbos.
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 3:08pm
Heres a few for ya.

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 3:13pm
Found some more.....

btred1466 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btred1466 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 7:00pm
Is that a one ninety xt? Awesome pics!
Michael (WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael (WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:01am
Here are a couple of pictures from 2005 before I rebuilt and painted the chopper.  I also found a two row narrow cornhead for it too, but of course it needs a full rebuild.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:00am
AHHHHHHH The memories. Dad either chopped with a 780, or a New Holland 717 hooked to either a D17 or our MF 180 Diesel. Dad set the timing on the D17 "by ear". Chopping at night the muffler on the D17 would glow red
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:51pm
Yes that is a Series III 190XT.  We used that setup until two years ago when the neighbor quit milking.  It was fun to run!

The other pictures were up at Steam Engine Days in Mabel MN where we chop some corn from time to time.

Heres a video from Mabel, someone will have to get the link posted correctly.  Im doing something wrong today.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wOCspD44GVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:12pm
   Here ya go, Jim:

[TUBE]wOCspD44GVI&feature=plcp[/TUBE]
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
carl View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:07pm
I don't have pictures here with me but many good memories of silage chopping.  Our first chopper was a 4-knife NH which would give the 45 all it wanted, especially if you were pulling an almost full wagon up a hill.  Then we got a decent chopper, AC lawnmower type that chopped better and faster than the old NH or my uncle's Gehl, used much less power, and was a dream to sharpen knives (5 minutes vs. 2-3 hours on the others).  The 17 was a great chopper tractor, but when we went to a 3 row head on a 780 we used the XT. It was hard to keep up with that using three wagons, had an AC blower at the silo as well.  All of that was excellent equipment that served well for years.  We hated to see that era end, but of course everything got bigger, and the AC choppers were pretty much maxed out at 100 hp.  But in their day they were the best.  
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 7:18am
I'm only 27 so I don't remember the old days of chopping, but still my favorite job on the dairy and grain farm was chopping corn and hay. We used a JD 4440 and Hesston chopper. No cows for about 4 years now so no more chopping :(
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:10am
Using a chopper hooked to a tractor IS the old days of chopping.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 12:11pm
Found this one on YouTube:

Gary

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 12:13pm
Here's another:

WD-45 and Allis Chopper -

Gary

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 2:36pm
thanks fo rthe memories...it is even the right time of the year to remember blowing it up into the silo...but then you had to fork it out all winter, but that is memories too.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 8:01am
The old days of chopping I hear about is when Grandpa's JD 70 didn't have enough power to run the chopper and pull the chopper and wagon in the low soft ground with tall corn. My uncle's first driving experience was about 4 years old pulling the 70 in neutral with the little Ford 600 tractor. If my little uncle had trouble Grandpa would just push the brakes and the Ford would just sit and spin.

Then about a week after silage came ear picking with the JD 4020 and New idea 2-row picker! Almost just as fun.

I know... I'm talking about John Deere's a lot here and am bracing for comments why the 70 didn't have enough power to pull the whole outfit. LOL

Edited by Allis dave - 31 Aug 2012 at 8:05am
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 10:55am
I've heard that the 2 bangers were not good for PTO work. I seem to here alot of not enough power period on those. I think the only reason they pull anything is they have a granny gear,38 inch tires and weigh alot.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 1:11pm
A 2 cylinder JD engine does not have a variable speed governor, it is a constant speed governor. There is no operating range (RPM) for the motor, they are designed to run at wide open throttle(which is PTO speed) and anything less than wide open is considered lugging the engine(taken right from the JD operators manual for my 720D) With that said, if you are running a PTO implement and hit a tough spot and the engine speed drops, not only does the RPM's drop to a point where you are lugging, the PTO spedd drops considerably as well.

Like what was said before, not good for PTO work.

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic