This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signage At A 4 Way Intersection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signage At A 4 Way Intersection?
    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:53pm
Did the rules/laws get changed in the last several years regarding a "roughly" 3x3' 8 sided, red in main body color, and white letters spelling STOP !!?? It just blows me away that 90% of traffic that comes up to a 4 way stop intersection "rolls" through on opposing corners from me, but the ones that REALLY chap my A%^ are the ones that roll through right behind me!!! Perhaps the rules have changed for the up and coming citizens in the Drivers-Ed classes of today?? Been my experience lately though it's the 30-40 year old class of drivers :-(
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:03pm
"Im in a hurry, and im SPECIAL "..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:23pm
Lawlessness abounds. MY OPINION ONLY, I think that it's become so second-nature that people aren't necessarily doing it to disobey or willingly violate the law (NO ONE "breaks" the law, it's still there; we just break ourselves AGAINST it), it has just become what and who they are. If that makes any sense...
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:26pm
I always heard it called a California Stop.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:37pm
Um, isn't 'STOP' short for Squeel Tires On Pavement ??
heck I'm guilty..one intersection   has TWO STOP signs 13' apart...yes I measured it years ago..
so I always slowly roll through the 1st one as to the left it's a dead end with one house..
They recently reduced speed on my road from 50KM to 40KM ( 30 mph to 24mph), NO EFFECT....idiots still do 50MPH ....
wish I still had the Gleaner A some dayze !!

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 6:24pm
Around here they stop and look at one another wondering what to do!  That's when I drive on!  I guess they don't teach them it's, first come first served.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:12pm
I thought those were only suggestions.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 8:35pm
When someone would spend too much time stopped at a stop sign, we used to holler at em, "Hey, it says slow and go; not give up!" Darrel
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 9:16pm

Actually,,,I really like the 4 way stops as traffic can and does move right along until some cheating MOFOs wants to pull up and then shoot across knowing most others will not want to risk getting their vehicles hit.......Most people are honest, tho,,,,,

MY absolute mostest PEEVE is those that will hog the high speed lane or the left lane,,which I know that in New Mexico, Texas and Colorado is for PASSING only ,,,,!!! New Mexico has a sign ,," LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY" and Texas has a similar worded sign,,"KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" as well. Just gripes me to have to follow an AH for miles because in New Mexico is is also illegal to pass on the right,,,,,GRrrrrr
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 9:45pm
One thing for sure,todays drivers do not know the rules for 4 way stops.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:49am
Steve ,'they' don't know ANY of the road rules....
East Indian trucker drove his dump trailer UP on the QEW right into the Burlington Bay Skyway bridge, cost millions to patch, ,illions per day while closed( ONLY road between Toronto and Niagara Falls). drunk ,open booze, cops never tested(racial ??), slap on wrist and he's ON THE ROAD AGAIN !!
They're changing a highway/sec road 'T' intersection here , into a 3 way stop. That'll slow down the traffic BIG time. I can't figure out who the bigger problem is... new drivers or city 'planners'.

Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:48am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

I've heard it called a "Hollywood roll"...
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:56am
Well, a "New York Hello" is when you bump the rear of the car in front of you to wake them up. But "stop" -- nope. Not in the NY dictionary.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 8:06am
Surprisingly most of these cars that are not able to come to a complete stop also have non-functioning turn signals.

jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 8:38am
It seems here if they have a problem intersection they put in a roundabout. Main highway with a 55mph speed limit the roundabout was the answer for the guy coming off the side road that didn't stop. I guess it slows everyone down.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Actually,,,I really like the 4 way stops as traffic can and does move right along until some cheating MOFOs wants to pull up and then shoot across knowing most others will not want to risk getting their vehicles hit.......Most people are honest, tho,,,,,

MY absolute mostest PEEVE is those that will hog the high speed lane or the left lane,,which I know that in New Mexico, Texas and Colorado is for PASSING only ,,,,!!! New Mexico has a sign ,," LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY" and Texas has a similar worded sign,,"KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" as well. Just gripes me to have to follow an AH for miles because in New Mexico is is also illegal to pass on the right,,,,,GRrrrrr
THAT, and.....couple that with you follow some AH for miles, get to the passing lane, he speeds up to 65 mph, you get to the 2 lane again and he's back down to 48!  Mere words cannot express my anger, though I have been known to try!CensoredCensoredCensored

Edited by Tbone95 - 06 Mar 2020 at 8:51am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

I think I resemble that SOMETIMES.Wink The T intersection in the middle of my ranch never had a stop sign until 20 years ago. So I still roll on through, BUT I LOOK REAL GOOD before I go. Because all the truck traffic is on the non stopping side going to the lime quarry. And with hills and curves you don't have that much sight of what is coming.

But this day and age it is the wino Confused tasters trying to read GPS and drive and decide which winery is the next on their list.  

Wink But JOE all the overloaded truck and no money to fix the important things like a highway that moves the goods. You have to drive the left lane to keep from your automobile falling apart around you.LOLLOLLOL But I have not been the I 5 where that was true in years.Wink But it had lanes each way,so maybe it doesn't count.

Yes common courtesy has become Confused every person for yourself. And heaven help you if your not in a race car to get out of the way.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:17pm
Years ago I was riding my motorcycle into town and didn`t come to a complete stop.  The county Sheriff pulls me over and gives me a warning.   The very next night I come into town and done it the second time,  at the same stop sign, got stopped by the same sheriff.  He was very gracious,  had a good laugh and give me another warning and let me go.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:36pm
The ones that really gets me is the passing a stopped school bus, it's sad when they hit a kid and then drive away. What with these people or kids
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 2:55pm
Cameras on all buses around here except one school district. The deal worked out is the company installing the cameras gets a cut from each ticket issued for drivers who run the bus's stop sign. As far as I'm concerned, I hope there's never a need for a ticket to be issued!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 4:19pm
boy howdy, you guys would go nuts around me! rolling stop common practice for me, and I don't use turn signals. left lane, I try to stay out of everyone else's way, and I expect the same from them.
four way intersections can be a bit confusing. the rule, when the state granted me a license, was driver to the right had the 'right of way', or first one to the intersection had the 'right away'. Well, both of those rules leave a lot to be desired for some people. It turns out curtesy and common sense should preview.

Next to the left lane road hog, and the dude that speeds up when you try to pass him on a two lane, my biggest peeve is the clown that will squeeze into that three car length buffer I have left myself from the car in fount of me, for no reason other than he feels the need to be in the left lane. second on my list is similar, the idiot that comes off of a merge lane and shoots across the right lane and right into the left, without ever stopping to check his mirrors for traffic in blind spots. But, of course they are using their turn signals!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:43pm
You talkin' New Yorkistan driving, Lou??? Sure does sound like it!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 6:20pm
Lou rolling stops and no signal when there's no traffic around ain't no biggie most of us will agree. Heck MN has a stop at red light, no traffic you can continue on while it is still red, "unless marked" for motorcyclists law.  Common curtesy and sense seems to be becoming a thing of the way distant past.   Never enough time to get there, but always time to die trying. 
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 6:22pm
Just this evening had a a@#^ole Roll through a stop sign on THEIR road( a T road that HAS to stop for the main road) to get in front of me to go a 1/4 mile to turn LEFT with 20+ oncoming cars so I had the pleasure of "parking" for minute :-(. There was nobody behind me for at least a half mile BTW
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:50pm
ALL the kids under the age or 35 should be thankful that I'm not a drivers license examiner.  There'd be a LOT less idiots on the road!!  AND this includes the LA CROSSE POLICE dept.  THEY roll through stop signs, right turn on red without stopping and looking.  I'd really like to get a one ton truck and weld 4" pipe ALL the way around it and go play 'bumper cars'.  Get a few millions insurance for a couple of hours and have a ball.  The other one that burns my butt is the ones coming down an entry ramp and just pull into traffic.  They think they have the right to do this.
In Wisconsin now, it's upwards of $500 for a kid to get his license from an accredited teaching institution.  I'd like to test those AH's cause NONE of em would have a license.  Either to drive OR to teach.  Everyone thinks it's a RIGHT to drive.....Good thing I was a Firefighter instead of a policeman.  Heck, my BIL is a cop and HE doesn't even know the law......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

"Im in a hurry, and im SPECIAL "..
Steve said it,"I'm special". It is no different then driving 2 or 3 or 10 over the speed limit. In our GMC Acadia, you have no excuse, for you are told your speed digitally, old school needle pointer, and from the futures with a heads up display. So why does one still drive 57?
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 5:47am
re: So why does one still drive 57?

gee that's 2 over the limit ! or can you go faster now ???  Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic