This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sickle Bar Sharpening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sickle Bar Sharpening
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:02pm
I picked up an old time sickle bar sharpener from the swap meet at the Jordan, MN Threshing Show this summer. Cleaned it up and finally tried it last night in the garage. Got a couple 6' sickle bars off of a B hay mower from a friend. I was surprised how good it worked and the longer I used it I started making better time. There is a rail behind that slides back and forth and the sickle bar clamp also slides independently on that. So with one clamping you can sharpen 10 knife edges before you would have to re-clamp. The clamp tips into the the beveled stone and you can work your way through the whole edge of the knife doing 2 edges at a time. Pretty unique invention with all the gearing prior to electricity. I would still opt for a disc grinder like we used to use for speed factor.
34 WC #477, 38 B #1935, 1-116 on steel, #8 7ft dbl action disc, #9 5ft dbl action disc, 295 Chainsaw
Sponsored Links

Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:07pm
A sharpened section will never cut like it did when new,OK if you're just cutting weeds or pastures to really cut hay you need new sections in top condition.
Randy MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:07pm
34 WC #477, 38 B #1935, 1-116 on steel, #8 7ft dbl action disc, #9 5ft dbl action disc, 295 Chainsaw
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:23pm
Handy dandy is what that is and darn cool too.Thumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Pete from IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete from IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:36pm
Looks like it does a nice job. Never saw one of those.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:54pm
We had a grinding wheel like that on a shop grinder...I would hold the end of the long end of sickle bar when dad was grinding on the other end, in the middle he pretty much controled the whole thing.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by FloydKS FloydKS wrote:

We had a grinding wheel like that on a shop grinder...I would hold the end of the long end of sickle bar when dad was grinding on the other end, in the middle he pretty much controled the whole thing.
Thumbs Up Been there done that many hours.  And you'd get in trouble for swatting mosquitos or black flies, cuz you'd throw him off!LOL
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:02pm
I have one that you put in an electric drill, and like Gary says, if you cut hay or grass, you'll need new sections, but sharpened is o-k for most weeds cutting.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:28pm

Some of the old ones were made to clamp on the tounge of the horse drawn mowers.

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:36pm
There was one here when I was a kid made to clamp on the steel wheel on the old McCormick horse mower. Thought it was good when some body  let me cut with a sharpened knife,never heard of high binders that would ever buy all new sections on a knife.

Well times have changed how we are cheap now. I have even put all new on once or twice myself by now.  
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:56pm
I have to agree, Times have changed, I think these sharpeners used to be common before throw away sections were so cheap.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:36pm
Years ago we had one like Shameless said. One end had a handle, the other end went in the drill. I remember it did a good job until you got towards the ball end. The steel got thicker and you had to use a hand file. 
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:34pm
My Grandpa was a blacksmith he would sharpen many plow lays a year put on new plow points but he also had a machine to sharpen sickles he would do hundreds a year.
turbocharged
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:16pm
Looks like your stone is loaded up with debris, you need to get a stone dresser, or stick, to clean it up.  You will be amazed at how much quicker a clean stone works...
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:32pm
we cut many acres of grass for a lot of people  and we cut it so it looked like you mowed your lawn  with a 80r mower .  grandpa always sharpened a knife  when the spare  spare tye wired to the side of the wd  got dull .        so icould change a knife in the feild and keep going instead of riviting on a new section or if it just got dull ,    you could cut alfalfa with about anything that would go back and forth                                                           ..the key to it is good ledger plates and clips
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:42pm
Hudco has it right we cut hundreds of acres of alalafa, grass hay with sickles and sharpened sections with no problems. Using New Idea trail type, JD #5, JD belly mower, New Holland mower, AC trail type mowers, AC #7 mowers. As long as you have good guards and a sharp sickle you can cut hay all day long.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:06pm
We had a stone like that on a simple grinding arbor my dad bought. He mounted it on an old cream separator stand and hooked it up to a salvaged washing machine motor...he thought he was in heaven as he was used to using a carborundum  stone to sharpen them for years. I would just take a 4" angle grinder to them now :-) I remember he always saved a new sickle for cutting 'wild hay' (grass).
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:54pm
What a GREAT FIND!!
You know I loved to wonder around my Grandfather's shop. He had some very unique tools.  I still have some of his tools but am really sorry that I let those "unique" tools get away.  
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:01pm
Whether it works or not, whether a sharpened sickle works or not, that is one cool tool that I would love to have as well. Saw one on CL awhile back, let it go. Now that I see how they work, I will snag the next one!
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:15am

That's an interesting knife located at the end of the bar.

Never seen that shape before.

Gary
albatros_3 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 6:38am
That is a cool piece. I think it would work great on my under serrated sections.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

That's an interesting knife located at the end of the bar.

Never seen that shape before.

Gary

A split section at the end will keep the grass from clogging the end,amazing how many
mowers I've bought with a regular section on the end.No wonder so many people hate to use sickle bar mowers without one of those sections in short grass the end will constantly
clog.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:42am
As far as using  sharpened sections I've noticed the same folks that say sharpened sections work well are the same ones that will say how much better a haybind is than a sickle mower to cut hay.A lot more to a section cutting as it should than just being sharp.
Angle,serration,how it matches up to the guard all gets changed when a section  is
sharpened.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:45am
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Hudco has it right we cut hundreds of acres of alalafa, grass hay with sickles and sharpened sections with no problems. Using New Idea trail type, JD #5, JD belly mower, New Holland mower, AC trail type mowers, AC #7 mowers. As long as you have good guards and a sharp sickle you can cut hay all day long.

Yep.  Maybe new is "more perfect", but we'd go for hundreds of acres / several years in some cases without new sections.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:48am
Gary, do you mean a disc mower?  Cuz dad would sharpen the sections on the haybine too!LOL  I mean, it was still a "sickle bar". 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Gary, do you mean a disc mower?  Cuz dad would sharpen the sections on the haybine too!LOL  I mean, it was still a "sickle bar". 

I mean sickle bar haybinds they won't do anything a sickle bar mower won't do except drag the
 hay off the bar which will cover up for a lousy cutting bar. Same goes for those, new sections will out cut sharpened ones, as cheap as new sections are I can't understand anyone sharpening a section.Plus half dull uneven sections puts a strain on all the drive line parts so you'll end up paying way more in the long run using a sub standard cutting knife.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I mean sickle bar haybinds they won't do anything a sickle bar mower won't do except drag the
 hay off the bar which will cover up for a lousy cutting bar. Same goes for those, new sections will out cut sharpened ones, as cheap as new sections are I can't understand anyone sharpening a section.Plus half dull uneven sections puts a strain on all the drive line parts so you'll end up paying way more in the long run using a sub standard cutting knife.

Got ya on dragging it off the bar......

And to be clear, we haven't sharpened a bar in years, more like decades.  The ones now, the serrations are pretty much self sharpening the way they wear, it's pretty neat. 
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:00pm
Dad had a Craftsman portable grinder with a flexible shaft and hand-piece.
The motor and stepped pulley parts were on a small frame with 3 casters.
The double angle stone was mounted on the end and was used to sharpen a sickle.
It could also be used with a plain flat stone for general purposes.
What I remember most about it was that if it were damp out, you'd get a little shock sometimes because the machine didn't have a ground in the cord.

Wouldn't have mattered much if it had, 'cuz the outlets in the shop didn't have the grounded receptacle anyway.

We had an 80R with serrated sections on the D17. 

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:02am
If you have a sickle that needs pretty well all of the sections it's usually a good idea to change all the plates at the same time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic