This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shreveport Pull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:39am
Believe that I found the problem with my B. there is a lot of slack in the splines between the rim and axle. Got to grind about 1/8" off the back of the rim to see if that will tighten it up,if not then I will have to change gear and shaft.
Sponsored Links

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 1:01pm
Jeff
     Loose fitting axle splines (another problem) won't cause the final drive to lockup suddenly like you say. Pick the final you think is best and swap it out like you did on the C.  You need to swap the hand brakes hardware to your finals footbrakes hardware  Gear ratios on all B are same unlike a C. ve
   If the splines are loose when fitting the wheel (hub) with the big nut. I have wheels by them selves with good splines.  Hard to tell by just lookin if both the axle splines and the hub splines fit tight.  you got to feel it
 What are your plans for the B after you get it going?

Edited by Ken in Texas - 02 Nov 2018 at 6:19am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Ken: Yes I do have some 28" rims that will bolt to a CA, These are what I had on the turbo CA before I sold it. These centers will even fit the bolt pattern for your IH wheel weights. The rims are 15" wide. do you think you can handle 18.4X28s ? they will give you about a 2.6MPH at PTO speed and somewhere about 3.5 at near 2400 RPM for your grandpa gear classesLOL Your 13.6X24 tires have a ground speed of just a tad over 2 MPH at PTO speed and barely about 3 MPH at 2400. What are you allowed for RPM?

The B&C are about 2-3/4 MPH at 1500RPM with standard tires. That puts them right close to the 3.5MPH with the 12.4X28 rears. 

If Jeff would like a set of late model B final drives, I have then on the Build a B that's here. I will consider parting it out if the rear sells first. This has the C style hubs, not the early 5 bolt hubs that still use the spline axles. Also this has foot brakes with new bands.

Maybe there are some other pulling parts that you'd desire that could make it worth a trip up here during your off season. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 3:23pm
Took pto cover off last night nothing wrong with rear end. The slack in the spines are making the noise. Don't believe I'm gonna pull it, got a grand son that I'm hoping will be interested in it (he's only six months old but never too early to get them started). Got a seven year old granddaughter I'm hoping will be pulling next year or two or three or four lol.
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 3:24pm
Where does Paul B live
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 6:01pm
Near Fredneck, MDWink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:39pm
It's Frederick

All the RPMs  you can get out of a CA without blowing it up Paul   Don 't have A Tach So don't really know what I have at full throttle.  This much I do know. I blow the horn at Highest Revs in Second Gear.    Horn  blows at 3.6 MPH 
 I probably don't have the horses to run in second with 28" rubber.   Jeff and I both used first in the 3000 Pulloff .    Am I right Jeff.   It was all in the tires that Gave Jeff a Advantage. 
 Jeff made another full pull and had traction and power to pull himself out of the ball park.  They finally determined a full pull was 181 feet. At first they had me ahead of Jeff by a foot at 182 feet Until I protested in Jeff's favor Getting both of us in a pulloff.  You know the rest of the story.    Sent me packing.  Back to the drawing board.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 01 Nov 2018 at 9:17pm
Bodean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 10:34pm
Yes sir I was in 1st gear and you are right about running out of horses in second with a stock engine. You could probably get a little more rpms if you played with the governor spring although yours sounds like its turning pretty good. Just have to hold the throttle back until you get under a load then let her eat.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 1:34am
Ken: i was thinking you could run those big tires in low gear, no way for 2nd. That would get you close to the allowed 3.5MPH. It’s all about matching ground speed to your HP. Even a completely stock CA will never be short of HP in low gear at 2500 pounds unless extra tall tires are used to increase the ground speed. If you were to go back to a standard set of 11.2X24 tires and use 2nd gear you would be right at the 3.5.
Increasing the engine speed is very simple. A little bit of changing the linkage geometry does the trick.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 7:16am
Did some adding up of numbers and came up with these.
     To be at 2496 at Shreveport  I had 71 pounds of weights on the studs all the way up front to pull against Jeff's C in 2500
 .  I haven't weighed  my 13 6 x24s on IH wheels with 11" MF rims.    I would think the 28s Jeff Runs with Water or even without will outweigh my 24s.
     In 3000 I hung 5 100# suitcases. 4 behind the axle and 1 ahead under the toolbox door.  3500 hung another 500 like  before.  4 and 1.    No lifting the front with this setup.
     If and when I go to 28s  I won't pull in 2500 and because of just 2 hooks concentrate on 3000 and 3500 with Bolt On weights in 3000
     A pair of 135# IH wheel weights  and a pair of 95# CA engine side weights  together weigh 460.  The unknown is the difference in weight of 28s over 24s .  I can loose the 71# off the front plus the belly weight brackets .
      There are actually two 3000# classes . Farm stock and Competition. Tractors with Factory bolt on weights and or water can compete in Farm Stock.  Any other hang on weights put you in the Comp division
       You can get your 2 allowed hooks in without changing weight

Edited by Ken in Texas - 02 Nov 2018 at 7:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic