This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I respond to this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I respond to this?
    Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:00pm
   In the classified section here on this site I listed a Denison hydro for an L3 a while back, it's still on the first page. Two days ago a Doubled83 asked if it was still available. I replied yes, he replied by giving me his number. I clicked on Doubled83, he joined 1-17-22 at 12:09 am, his first post was to me asking about availability. 
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:07pm
I sure would !! I'd love to play along if he thinks he's thief ….
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:27pm
Those last guys or maybe one guy pretending to be two guys would never give up a phone number, so that is a positive.  If he answers the phone call, I am pretty sure you can tell if he is legit or not.  Regarding the last scammers on here, and I understand they have returned with new names, I tried asking questions via private messenger about what they were selling and they had no clue really.  Tried to charge me $200 for a part I got for $10. 

Some guys sign up for a single purpose and leave or simply lurk but generally the first thing someone does is ask a question about their equipment.  They don't buy something first, so I see your hesitation.  We are all traumatized by their few successful attempts at scamming our online community.

The craiglist scammers always offered some fantastic tractor for a fraction of the correct price so you don't have that problem.

I guess proceed with caution and if you talk to him, see if he really knows something.  That's also a pretty unique part to buy in my opinion.

I guess if the guy shows up with cash, he is legit.  I have good luck buying stuff from people on here but most have been active participants.  It is so hard to know now days.  He may never answer the call but if he does I think you will know what he is.  At least you are selling and not buying.  Proceed with caution as always.  Please let us know if he is a scammer in your opinion so we can be on the outlook.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:36pm
I believe  there are a lot of people that read this forum, but do not post. I am hoping the guy needed this part and the only way he could contact you was to register. 

I agree that him giving you his phone number is a positive sign. 

I guess the only way I would deal with him is if he paid first. I don't know if it's still available, but you used to be able to send things through the US mail by C.O.D.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 6:33am
Some of the modern banking apps are not safe, so do not use them. 

Someone had problems with PayPal "friends and family", so never use that. 

Regular PayPal might be safe, but I generally go thru Ebay for that. 

I have become a Cash Talks and BS walks type of guy.

some folks are trolling for phone numbers for spammers. 

If he is legit, check his knowledge.  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 6:44am
in your ad you should add, 'if ads up, it's still for sale'
Now when someone replies 'still available'..pass on them, scammers......
could add 'can deliver but must be bought in person'. I've done that with riders and furniture. They come here, I get PAID cash, then follow them home, they unload.

you can 'google' the phone number and some info can be had, area code for one bit.

agree, ask specific info, maybe cw vs ccw or gear ratio ? something that'll tell if legit or not
get them to reply with their address, then google that !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:35pm
I do hate to think he is a newbie and legit. So, we cannot pick on everybody that signs up. I hope and wish he is a good guy.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic