This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 53545556>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 9:23am
I had the "high lift" garage doors, and the 100k btu Hot Dawg heater installed.  Pricey, but well done and I'm happy.  Good to go for winter.  Now to start putting up the cabinets and organizing all my "stuff".

Edited by GSTROM99 - 24 Oct 2023 at 9:29am
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2023 at 6:59pm
GStrom99,
 Awesome bright shop you have. Do you plan on a lift in the high bay area? What is the size of your building? I am interested in your plans to add storage! I really need to be doing something rather than throw tools in a pile!
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 7:59am
Thanks.  The pole barn is 54x72.  I sectioned off about a third, so the shop is 54x28.  10 foot walls, 12 foot 4 inches for lift area.  It's almost too bright with all the lights on, but they're all cheap screw-in LED's on pull cord light holders, so I can turn them off as needed.  I wanted a USA made lift, I ordered a Rotary - back in late July.  NOT HERE YET.  I've called the dealer/installer and he said he's just as frustrated with the delay.  I'm gonna call Rotary and see what they say... Plan on getting out there today and work on finishing the wiring, for the doors, outlets and A/C on that wall.  I waited on that part until the door/tracks were in so I could work around them.  I've picked up a bunch of used metal kitchen cabinets and industrial shelving units (you can see two, at the far end of the pic)  off of CL and FB Marketplace.  The new wood ones are nice but too expensive for me.  I've got about $40k in this build - not including the missing lift...

Edited by GSTROM99 - 26 Oct 2023 at 8:11am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 7:34pm
GSTROM99,
 Yikes on the back order for the lift, hope that changes soon. My friend John suggested the Rotary brand two post as he had these in several shops he worked in. 
Good suggestion checking on FBMarketplace for good used storage too.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 12:52pm
About an hour after I posted the "missing lift" issue, they called and said my lift was there.  They brought it down and installed it today.  Took two guys about three hours.  I still need to hard wire it.  They were able to temporary wire it on 110, to adjust and bleed it.  Would've taken me three days, probably.  I'm happy!

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 2:09pm
nice  

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 8:11pm
GSTROM99, AC Folks,
The new lift looks very good. It took me a long time to age my used lift and get the shims, and get it cleaned up and painted on the base. About like most of my stuff. 

My friend John came over to the shop today in his very nice 55 Club Sedan, and we took the starter out of the D14 and found lots of dirty connections on the solenoid and starter. Also found about 2 gallons of mouse nest materials in and around the clutch/ flywheel. Maybe both of these things were contributing to poor starting?? Trying to decide if I want to clean this up and try it on 6 volts again or start to change to 12 volts? It has not been charging either, so the generator needs some love if I am going to leave it at 6 volts?? Opinions are always welcome.
My preference is to go to 12 volts and have a good fresh clean system. Using a Denso alternator.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 3:20pm
Allis Folks,
Well John was determined to get the D14 working on 6 volts. I cleaned up the starter and bench tested it. Seemed fine. Installed the starter and cleaned all the connections bright and shiny.
The tractor started better than new! We proceeded to remove and clean the generator also. Finding no major issues other than dirt and grime it was installed. The voltage at the battery was around 7 volts at idle, at increased RPM it was at 8+ volts. This small project has been bugging me since I brought the D14 home from a local auction. Should be a great improvement to the good running Allis.
If I get the chains on we should be ready for the big snow Shameless will be sending our way near the south shore of Lake Erie.
FYI the temp in the shop was about 65 on a rainy, windy, miserable day outside! Love the heat in the floor!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 10:02am
Allis Folks,
 Finally got a picture of the mini shop (on the left)  to load.

Of course its full of stuff already.

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Oct 2023 at 10:03am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 12:33pm
I found that working on a heated floor is easier on the feet and legs
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 8:27am
Very nice, Chris. How's that pup doing?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 7:23pm
tadams, Mike, Folks,
We often take some breaks in the shop from the cooler outdoors temps. Setting on the couch is a nice change of pace.

Ruby is still a pup for sure, very spoiled and un trained for the most part! She is a very good companion for Cheryl too. Spends a lot of time shadowing her throughout the day. Most of its good. But she also knows she can get away with stuff around Cheryl, that she would not do around me. Ruby can open most of the doors on the buildings if she wants. Most of the doors have the lever type handles and she learned that very quickly. If she would close them I would mind as much:)!
We visited a friend and he just got a new golden pup. A boy named Dakota. Sooooooo cute!

Cheryl and I picked up a new toy for the shop. A rolling 20 gallon oil drain tank for used motor oil changes. A lot of folks don't change there own oil anymore. Not sure its much cheaper, but I still do it.
So with the lift this will be easier to change oil in the F-250 and Cheryl's Edge. She misses being able to drive but doesn't complain often. 

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Nov 2023 at 7:27pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 12:09am
a bunch of us still change our own oil, and we give it to another friend that heats his shop with used oil. saves all of us $$$. give Ruby a hug for us! our youngest Golden (Ruby's twin) really takes care and watches out for our 13 year old Yellow Lab, as she can't hear anymore and sometimes don't see our hand signals. nothing cuter than a new Golden puppy! awwwww shucks...most all puppies are cute! glad you got the new building enclosed before my "machine" can bless you this winter!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 6:08am
Still change oil ourselves here. Also have a live and 20gal oil catcher. Used oil goes to my cousin's truck shop
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 8:17am
If the vet bills weren't so high, I'd have three or four Golden's myself! They are fantastic creatures. At my age I would have to hire some youngster to throw the tennis ball though!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 7:37pm
Folks,
 Here is friend Jim with Dakota.

Ruby, Cheryl and I resting during a break in the action!

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Nov 2023 at 7:42pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 8:10pm
Allis Folks,
 Well i got an early Christmas present for myself. A Verizon wireless 5G router. OH MY Goodness! I am going to provide some pictures of the mini shop that we built this summer:
 i forgot that the trusses and some material were here before I had the poles in place:

Ruby was trying to tell Jim how to auger the holes:

We put the trusses up with the D14

Building the end trusses:

10 foot side walls made good use of the materials, very little waste:

Even used the D14 to lift up the roof sheeting, 1/2 inch OSB.

Eric working on the shingles:

Wrap it:

Fascia and sofit:

Siding same as the big shop:

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 11:48pm
It looks just great Chris!  Ain't it fun using these OLD tractors to help us out now.  Ya gotta think outside the box though.
Did you make your own trusses?  I don't remember numbers, but I saved a bunch making my own for my pole barn.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 9:59am
Ted,
 i did not build my own trusses. I actually spent a little extra on that area of the build putting the 6-12 pitch roof trusses on 16 inch centers! Almost unheard of anymore. But we did save a bunch doing almost all the labor ourselves. It just took most of the summer and fall to keep picking at the build. Going to get the D14 out of the mini shop and plow the foot of new snow into piles today!
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 2:02pm
Sure looks good Chris, we had a dusting of snow with 19 degrees yesterday morning and 19 again this morning with no snow as I am typing the snow is shing in the window on me and sure feels good. I have give up building any more around here. My main building ended up being 100' X 34' with the last 60' cemented but no heat in any of it. I am in the downsizing mode now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 6:12pm
tadams,
 I should also be in the downsizing mode too! Just too darn stubborn to stop with projects!
Son Adam's Subaru on the lift for a brake pad replacement.

Friend Jim's F350 up in the air just because we can:

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 9:45pm
I could SURE use one of those Chris!!  No more laying on the cold damp ground.  No more back, neck and shoulder aches!

I'm jealous........
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 9:59am
Ted, Folks,
Into the winter season, my energy level falls off pretty fast. A little bit of deer hunting several times a week and a lot of visiting!
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
 Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 11:31am
Lifts are wonderful. I have a 4 post. Hunting is a great for some relaxation and maybe even fill the freezer. Arrowed 2 for myself this year. Love the new building
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 11:32am
Plummer,
Yes, I just got done processing a small doe. Final tally on meat was about 20 lbs. So it was not big but will be very good! still have a week of rifle season then Muzzle loader season after Christmas.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 3:06pm
Folks,
 Merry Christmas!
Cheryl and Ruby

Our son Adam and the pooch:

Yea 52 years! amazing!

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Dec 2023 at 3:08pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 1:03pm
  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from here in Ohio to you and your family Chris.  Tom
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 4:51pm
Tom,
 Hope things are good across the line! Happy New Year to you and your family and to all the Allis folks!

Having friends and family in the shop for coffee, visiting and solving all the world's problems! The heated floor keeps these old feet warm and toasty!:) 

The new mini shop has off loaded the big shop and allowed us to have some large gatherings for Maple folks, and antique car folks too. We can seat about 30 folks in the shop. More if we had more tables and chairs!

Cheryl agreed to get another big toy. I struck a deal with a local car guy to buy his 1965 Mercury Comet Caliente. I'm hoping Cheryl and I can do a bunch of car shows, outings with the AACA car club and ice cream runs next summer. Will try to get it home in January, and start to do a review of its systems. (oh we have pictures, but may hold them till we make sure this is real)

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 8:15am
My first new cars was a 1963 red Comet convertible. I wanted to be a mechanic so I started as wash boy at 18 years of age. The 2 older mechanics sure talked me out of that job and I quit. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 9:05am
Tom, We have a grandson that is a mechanic. at almost 30 he is complaining of sore knees and joints. Working overhead and on cement all day can take its toll.
I just joined the Comet Forum today and will start picking their brains just like the Allis guys!:)

Does anyone have suggestions for painting area inside a building? I need to do something or wait till good weather, and paint outside? I need to do massive amounts of cleaning. sanding, filling, priming, and painting on the Allis CA project.

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 53545556>
  Share Topic