This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 3:43pm
There's a pipe coming up right next to the stairs for a deposit station to connect to!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by GSTROM99 GSTROM99 wrote:

Looks great, and crowded already...
I've got a 54 x 72 Morton building that I'm going to partition off a third and build a shop.  Only just started the clearing out and levelling, before winter hit.  I'll start a new thread about it...

That will be a nice sized shop! Hope it works out well, So many details on one of these.
I am starting to think about elevated storage areas.
got lots of positive ideas from the guys on here. Good luck!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:26am
[QUOTE=JohnColo]
Maybe you will have to give Mike a short course in making maple syrup! lol

John, that is something I was interested in years ago. Could have tapped all the trees on the farm and probably had enough sap to do something with? Their population continues to go down around here every year. If I had a saw with a 36" bar it would go down faster!
Faster by tonnage that is.

Since going on a low-carb diet three years ago my interest in making sugar has gone to zero. Just as well, like I've got that much free time anyway. Still like to watch others produce though.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 3:46pm
Mike,
 Low carb doesn't sound like fun. Good luck with that. Yes maple syrup is a lot of carbs. Everything in moderation I guess.

I think we are working on making up electrical boxes tonight.
 Maybe insulation starting to go in the shop by this time next week? I am in the schedule when the crew gets some houses done. 
 Have the builder coming over to give me a estimate on the ceiling panel install. Would like to get that done right away if I could. I have too much junk to move around!

Friend Matt is coming over to look at the prototype jib crane. Will re view pins and leveling issues.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Jan 2021 at 3:48pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 3:43pm
Shop Talk folks,
 Friend Matt came over last night he is going to make new pins for my jib crane pivot joints. Need to be custom made 1.020 dia by 12 plus, long with a shoulder or head feature.
We talked about my all welded version of the pivot points and agreed that a adjustable lower pivot point would be better. This would allow some movement to level the swing of the boom. 
I decided after he left to secure the swing end and cut the bottom bracket off the jib post.
Used the saws all. And in a few minutes had it on the bench for review.

Going to re attach with two 3/4 inch bolts into the Allis frame channel on the post. Then have a angle on each side of the web of the bottom support. The holes are in the second picture. I tapped then 3/4-10. 
The angle will have some slots for adjustment right to left and I can also adjust the support in or out from the post a little. This may be enough to get the boom to a more level at all swing positions.
Since this jib crane was just a prototype these things are not unexpected to happen.

Remember: Recovery is everything!

Off to work on those brackets. Need to whittle them out of some scraps I have laying around here somewhere?

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Jan 2021 at 3:46pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 6:59am
Folks,
The jib crane update:
 Not real pretty, added a piece of angle iron on each side of the cut off I-beam stub which is the lower pivot point. Then bolted these to the I-beam. Had to shift the lower position about 3/4 to 1 inch to the west to get the swing boom much closer to level. I dint think I was out that much?But this is now more plumb. May have those new pins coming from Matt this week and that may tighten up the pivots more too:

All the more reason to add some adjustment or tunability to things like this.

It swings easily and pretty much stays where you want it. The WD rear end final drive bearings worked good!

Used the jib with the 2 ton Dayton hoist, to help assemble the mast in the F-40 forklift last night. Worked well. Only thing that could be better would be if it was up even higher. By the time the hoist is added the actual hook is about 8 feet off the floor. Not complaining here. As I have used it several dozen times lately. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Feb 2021 at 7:05am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 8:34am
A little gray paint and nobody will know you made a repair. Looks good
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

A little gray paint and nobody will know you made a repair. Looks good

Tom,
 Thanks!
Waiting for the new pins as then I may have to do some additional tuning. Then a coat of paint to hide the sins!
I have to get out and do something!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Feb 2021 at 8:52am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 10:30am
Glad it's working for you.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 10:32am
I'm wondering if you can drive UNDER the 'chain bucket ' ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 1:39pm
Jay, 
Yes the chain bucket might have to be adjusted. I didnt measure it maybe 7'6" ?? 
I wasn't going to cut all the extra chain off for a while. It is low. Will check that.
Regards,
 Chris
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 4:33pm
Chris, I know I said this before, But one of these days, My wife and I will head North for a visit!  NOW for the "deal breaker".  Can I do the old TARZAN swing type thing on the jib?  LOL  I will have the proper clothing, a EMS unit on stand-by, and a funeral director in route for me, if needed!  Looks good!  One thing for me, SHE loves Maple Syrup, and good stuff!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 8:41pm
Dave,
 The jib is open for you! Might need pictures of that! Not warm in the shop yet! Let me know. We haven't started even tapping trees yet. Its been too cold. 
Regards,
 Chris
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:35am
Very cool!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 12:43pm
  If the weather they are calling for here in Ohio for next weekend and first of next week goes your way it's going to be aful cold, like 0 and below
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 10:17am
Tom,
My Dad always said we need a good freeze down into the ground to be ready for a good maple syrup production. We may get just that. 
Have plans for working on the shop for a week or two. And or working on the kitchen in the sugarhouse too, prior to our season starting. We will see how that works out!Smile

Resting today!
Prepping for insulation crew to come in soon. Zone 1 is better:

More general cleaning up to do. The plan is to insulate the north end of the shop, loft and zone1, 2 and bath, then over the weekend, move all my junk to the north end and insulate the south end (high bay area) Monday. 

Electrical rough in should be done just hours before the insulation crew arrives too! Perfect!

I did get the land line phone cable in place too. That's about the extent of my wiring skills!

Cold in the shop maybe about 33 deg F! Brisk!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:44pm
Folks,
 Its amazing how much stuff can quickly accumulate in a new area or on a horizontal surface! Getting ready for insulation:

Move the counters out and should be ready for the insulation crew.
Regards,
 Chris
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:11am
You get a lot of things done. It seems like all I do is sit and spin my wheels. Good to see progress is happening on your shop after having progress in the shop with your forklift. Keep up the good work Chris!
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:38pm
Looking GREAT!!!!

Yes, a matter of seconds can accumulate hours worth of cleanup..."hmm, this will be kept in this area, but has been in the basement for the past 6 years, I should put it back there until I'm ready to keep it here. Yep, I'm bringing it ba... shoot, I need this to do that over thing, and putting it back will just make it take even longer to get done. I'll just set it over here instead"

Can't wait to hear how comfortable it is after!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:42pm
re: It seems like all I do is sit and spin my wheels.

I did that last week... 7000# forklift with brand new tires on snowy ice....

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:33pm
Jay now you need a set of chains, that will stop the spinning of your wheels.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:44pm
yeah, I actually just came in as I KNOW I HAD a 1/2 barrel FULL of 'misc chains'.... they're gone, barrel's gone, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
so.......
I may take a nice 50' code70 tow chain and start cutting it up to make a custom set of chains for the forklift,make a nice summer project.....

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:33pm
Folks,
 Well I have teased you long enough! The crew for the insulation was here at 7:00 and at noon had the loft done,and started on zone 1 and zone 2. My what a difference. I knew it would be. Like getting walls in place, so you cant see through the rafters anymore!
And the echo in the loft area is pretty much gone. Might be a nice place to get a quiet nap in sometime too?Smile

Talked to the OH doors guys and my 9 x 8 door is in Ohio about 15 miles from me. They may be able to get that in this month. 

Te two man crew set about calking the windows and the electrical box openings. Adding venting and placing the insulation.

Weather is cold raw low 30's with wind. glad we are inside!

Some pictures:

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 Feb 2021 at 6:22pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:41pm
Wish it was 30 here. I think around 12 with a strong NW wind. Fixin to go below zero tonight.
Shop lookin good BTW
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:47pm
Looking good, Chris.  Now of course you will be thinking "I better get the walls covered with something"!

Was 66 on Tuesday, 68 Wed, 44 and very windy yesterday, so far 44 and calm today,  we are supposed to get some 30 degree days next week.  I feel for you guys back east.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:49pm
heck even 12 would be NICE !! about 3*F here when you factor in the windchill...
by 8 tyhis morning I'd done all my neighbour's driveways with my rider/blower.
Hopefully one of them will rnet me space for my 'orange collection' come Spring...
Nice to see my loft's got insulation...now... when's the sofa and bigscreen TV getting installed ???

Jay

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 2:52pm
Looks good, wish it was 30 herre we are at 26 with windchill 17 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 6:48pm
Guys,
Yes temp is dropping like a rock! 
Couple of updates: Friend Matt brought out the pins he made me for the jib pivot points. He helped install them. Much improved. Not as much sag in the swing beam. 

The insulation crew did pretty good today. Not sure they will be able to finish on Monday??

I went to the local Amish metal shop and got pricing on the steel painted liner panels for the inside ceiling, along with the F&J channel trim and the fasteners. Panels would be cut to my specs for a small amount of overlap per panel. Going with straight seams not staggered. Approx,  3, 12 foot lengths per row, in the 36 foot high bay area of the shop. 
The panels cover 36 inches wide. I need to pull the trigger on that and get the material here to get this ceiling up while some of the floor space is open!

More insulation shots:

Bringing it back to a Allis shot:

All these need to be moved to work in the high bay area for Monday.

Regards,
 Chris

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:08pm
does that mean you have to "leave them out in the cold?"
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:17pm
Mike, there are 13g of Carbs in that beer that you like....Hmmmm

JohnColo,,,,,,,,,,hey good buddy,,,,I don't even want to HEAR or READ of your temps....  Heck, it's gonna be WAY below zero around here for the next couple of weeks according to the weather service.  Tonight alone, it's gonna be -35 with the wind chill.
Chris, it's headin your way too.....  You have come a LONG way with the shop my friend!!!  I'm really jealous!  My 36'x72' is shoddy by comparison.  No insulation, the floor is dirt and gravel, but it's nice to be out of the wind.
Now IF spring would come, I could go to work in it and get some long awaited stuff done!
Wishing you well and lots of stuff done when I check in again.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 56>
  Share Topic