This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:31pm
Love the loft area but how much can you actually put up there without stressing the trusses?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:14pm
all 'we' need is a couch or two easy chairs, a big screen TV, big mini fridge and a microwave.......oh yeah, lock on the door to keep 'some' out.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:27pm
standard rafters  ( for people / storage) would have been designed for 40 pounds per square foot.... if the designer new there was going to be a second floor... If its light storage, he still would design for 20 pounds per square foot........ and they had to design for the snow load on roof.

with round numbers of 10 ft wide and 30 ft long, thats 300 square feet.... even at 10 pounds per square foot thats 3000 pounds of storage !! .......... just dont set it all on ONE rafter !

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Jan 2021 at 4:31pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:35pm
I keep thinking you needed to put pulleys over the power cord and hook the weights to them.  That way they will always be in the correct place.

Did you start browsing for a bidet yet?  They sell them seats with one built in and wireless remote control!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Love the loft area but how much can you actually put up there without stressing the trusses?

So I cant answer this really. there are load numbers that it was designed to hold. I would have to look. I think the words were light storage. Ok I am part pack rat so I will try to shove everything in there probably?Smile So the outside portions of the truss are 2 x 6. The center 16 foot is 2 x 10. I put 5/8 plywood down, Then added a strip of plywood under each floor seam between the trusses. Also build a 2 x 4 vertical wall almost down the center of the entire length of the loft. So in theory it can carry some of the proposed load too. Trusses are on 2 foot centers. I think several WD series engines could rest up there easily........just sayin!
Long non answer to your question.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

standard rafters  ( for people / storage) would have been designed for 40 pounds per square foot.... if the designer new there was going to be a second floor... If its light storage, he still would design for 20 pounds per square foot........ and they had to design for the snow load on roof.

with round numbers of 10 ft wide and 30 ft long, thats 300 square feet.... even at 10 pounds per square foot thats 3000 pounds of storage !! .......... just dont set it all on ONE rafter !

Yea, something like that! It is pretty nice floor with not much bounce at all. I was never great at the engineering side of things but have done calcs when I was a kid. Long gone skills. 
I think a guy could easily live up there and be comfy too. Steps are a long drink of water!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I keep thinking you needed to put pulleys over the power cord and hook the weights to them.  That way they will always be in the correct place.

Did you start browsing for a bidet yet?  They sell them seats with one built in and wireless remote control!

Been over on the FTE forum looking at Gold leaf toilets too! Want to cover all options for sure.
 Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:42pm
You need a 3" tube from upstairs down to the toilet so you don't have to go down stairs from the "Man Loft" when you need to releave yourself.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

You need a 3" tube from upstairs down to the toilet so you don't have to go down stairs from the "Man Loft" when you need to releave yourself.

Kind of funny. I was just thinking about that feature. Poor planning on my part at this time.
Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 11:21pm
Run a pipe through the wall into the eave downspout.  Takes care of that problem.
When are we going to have a 'shop' warming party?
It's getting better every day now Chris.  Keep up the good work and the ideas.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Folks,Always wanted a old truck! Now I have one!
Regards,
 Chris
Always wanted a old truck.......LMAO   That's all I've ever had!  I was gonna get one in 1976, but then my son was born and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yep,,, you guessed it.  So I settled for a 74 that I wish I had kept!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:43am
Folks,
 May have mentioned?? Have the guys coming week of Jan 27 to do the entire building in insulation. That will change a lot inside.
Off to help a friend insulate his building today.
Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:49pm
  you should have him come and help insulate your when you get his done 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

you should have him come and help insulate your when you get his done 
We did more talking than insulating but yes that is my plan!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:07am
Folks,
 Helped my friend Andy with is wall insulation yesterday. he is using the R-Tech product ridgid foam board 1.5 thick. Then filling any gaps with the expanding foam. 

On my project We should just about wrap up the rough wiring today. Insulation has been moved out at least a week due to how busy the contractor is. That is fine with me as other things including Maple syrup season is almost here too. 

Have just about decided on the inside wall coverings. White liner panels (steel) for all of the ceilings down stairs. The walls: a Gray color steel panel 36 inches tall from floor. Then some type of real wood vertical material above that. Maybe 8 inch wide tounge and groove? Wood upper to be a natural light color. 
Ok thats the plan we will see how that works out. Many moves and much dollars for work inside. Also need 4 walk doors and the 9x8 overhead installed too.
The saga continues!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 4:54pm
Folks interested in a old shed,

Boxes for the ceiling fans. Orange wire is to proposed two post lift someday!

Nic in the attic area pulling and securing wiring.

He pretty much has all the wires run. Thursday he will strip the wire at the boxes and get things tidied up.
Had to pull his WD out to get into the rafters for securing wiring:

Non shop picture thrown in here for good measure, just to see if your watching:

Regards,
 Chris

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:07pm
Keep up the good work, if you were about 20 hours closer I'd come supervise!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:17pm
Mike,
 Thanks! Hope things are good in Newton! Your welcome anytime!
Today like a lot of days, I did not seem to get much accomplished!  Will hit it hard tomorrow! Yea that's it! The F-40 forklift project awaits!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Jan 2021 at 7:06pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 1:26pm
  Yes you might have to move the fork lift when the insulation installation starts.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 1:41pm
Tom,
 Yes that was the goal get it to move so I can get on with life! Check that thread in the construction section. Not a good day!
Was in the shop and just took some random shots. And yes I have a lot of things to move to get he insulation completed too! Just quick walk around the shop cause I can!

Regards,
 Chris
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 3:32pm
Chris, Looks like things are progressing nicely, loft looks nice; good place to sit and look out the window. I'm guessing you didn't show the work space? Lots of tractors in there already.
     How soon is maple  season?
     Thanks for all the pictures and updates. Russell.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:42pm
I want to know WHEN the 'extension' is going to be built ? It seems a tad 'crowded' in there already ! hehehehehe...we TOLD you......

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:56pm
Russell, Jay,
 Yea you told me and I already knew how many toys I had! Sure, if I had a new big project sometime I might have to move some things out!
A couple shots of Zone 1 from the stairs Overhead door expected in next few weeks.

Not sure why this was so dark. I tend to fill up any horizontal surface with clutter really quickly!

Nic has Thursday night scheduled to do all the remaining work inside the electrical boxes. So I believe almost all all the wire is in place. Maybe the two outside receptacles need wire? Looking forward to the insulation portion of the project. I wont be able to see through the Zone 1 walls any more!

I worked most of the afternoon in the sugarhouse to get away from the Allis forklift project. I assembled the float boxes, steam pipes and filtering station. Still plenty to do.
 Will hunker down for this storm coming through.

Hope to tap the sugarbush by Mid February. All weather dependent now. A few folks have tapped. Still pretty cold here.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Jan 2021 at 7:02pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:55pm
hmmm.. will you have to 'reorganize' our shop when your sap starts flowing ???

as for forkliting...just like 'tractoring', it takes time, patience and practice , to get to know the machine and operate it like a pro.... Once you get the hang of it, you'll say  WHY didn't I get 'old yeller' SOONER !

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 9:42pm
I think you mentioned it before but my feeble mind forgot.  Do you run collection tubes from the trees to a tank or tanks?  I remember when the plastic bags came out that everyone thought was the cat's meow over the old steel buckets, didn't seem like long before everyone went to collection tubes.  Even making maple syrup has gone high tech!  My cousin west of you in Ohio is thinking mid Feb too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:36am
John, Jay, Folks,
 For sap collection I do a semi old and new school. All roadside old hard maples on short run gravity (5/16) modern tubing. 25 taps per station. Those all go into a 45 gallon container secured near the side of the road. I have 30 stations or stops to pick up sap. Not the most efficient method of collection but I get really good quantity and quality (Sugar content). Only have 600 ish taps so not a big operation.
Sap might be running today a little. If you have vacuum you might get a small run.

Jay, Hope your correct on "little yeller". She is not high on my list right now. But I can now start to talk forklift!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Jan 2021 at 10:38am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:26am
I cut down a dozen silver maples here in central Ia. over the weekend, sap was running just a little. Still pretty cold and early for it. Have several more I would like to get on the ground!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 11:46am
mike,
 Somewhat unusual way to tap the trees!
 Good luck with that!:)
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
Maybe you will have to give Mike a short course in making maple syrup! lol

Out here in Sunny Colorado, there was a large flock of robins hanging out around my place last week and I noticed the buds were swelling on the apple trees.  A bear broke into a house in Nederland, CO, elevation 8,000 feet, last week also.  What is a bear doing up in January?  I'm thinking it drank too much coffee in Oct and had to get up to pee, or maybe it ate someones weed stash and got a case of the munchies...

Edited by JohnColo - 27 Jan 2021 at 1:31pm
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 2:45pm
Looks great, and crowded already...
I've got a 54 x 72 Morton building that I'm going to partition off a third and build a shop.  Only just started the clearing out and levelling, before winter hit.  I'll start a new thread about it...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 56>
  Share Topic