This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:36pm
My cousin near Hinckley had well over 2.5" as that's all the gauge holds and they didn't want to go out to dump it until the rain slowed down a bit.  Some local flooding also in the area.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:04pm
Folks,     
 We did not get that rain storm, Missed us some how.
Cutting hemlock for wainscoting today. Big day tomorrow get some rest!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 6:33am
Allis Tractor forum folks,
Some random pictures:
Cutting the hemlock ship lap to length:

drip angle on the bottom edge:

Still need to pick out the stain. Would like to find something with good longevity and minimal maintenance:

Floor is in the loft area:

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:30pm
Folks,
Adam and I got one man door in tonight. Nice to install a good quality product!
Also picked up the 73 sheets of 2 inch high density foam today. 4 x 8 sheets. Good use of the little goose neck trailer.

My builder was set free tonight. If I need him he is willing to come back and help. So the rest is up to me!

I did get all the siding and the man doors today. The electrical is now inspected and Nic will set up a day to get the service changed from overhead to under ground. And then complete the work to the house.

Had meeting with the propane folks and I need to have my Propane line inside some schedule 40 conduit under the driveway. At this time that is about the only mistake I believe I have made on the building project.:) 

Got my pricing on the PEX in floor heating system tonight too. Good thing I was setting down for that one!:)

Regards,
 Chris

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:45pm
that was quite a load for that ferd! 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:13am
Yeesh, so 'someone' decided to BLOCK the loft with a big steel pipe !!! Quick, grab a sawzall and 20 blades and cut it down.....

I'm curious about the PEX pricing, it's 'just' plastic pipe and some styrofoam sheets.....though I suppose there's some 'math' involved in making sure every square inch of the HUGE  floor is toasty warm !! You'll need that warm floor as access to your 'upper mancave' is blocked by that big pipe !! lol.

GREAT progress though.  Sure glad the weather's been good to you !!!

Any chance you can run the propane through  the 'phoneline/cable/cat5' conduit from the house ?? None of them could make a spark..... just thinking of easy options.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:35am
Folks that post on the Allis TRACTOR Forum,
The Ford didn't seem to struggle much with that load SD!:) In fact I haven't had any load that it struggle with yet!
Jay, That post may be in the way now but the long range plan is to have the loft end closed off and the post should be just fine. 
The PEX and items to get it just out of the floor would be about 1/3 of the total system cost. The panel and the boiler would be the other 2/3rds.

I may just get the PEX in place for now. 

I did think about the propane running through the existing phone line too. Just doesnt seem like the right thing to do??

Have to begin to look at additional costs on this runaway project!

Thanks for checking in on me. 
Regards,
 Chris

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:04am
Reason for the conduit is to prevent crushing the line or catching it directly if do grade work on the drive.
albrown915 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albrown915 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:34am
PLEASE put the pedal in !!!! I would enjoy to talk to you about my experience with radiant heat and supplying the hot water. Private message me if you would like more information.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albrown915 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:35am
CORRECTION PEX not pedal
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albrown915 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:40am
I would have a hard time putting gas line inside the existing conduit because IF you have a gas leak it will freely go to the house or shop and then KABOOM 2 fine AC people just lost their lives to gas explosion don’t need any chances!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 12:31pm
Here, you can run gas and electric in the same TRENCH. They cannot share a conduit. There are ways to run buried gas line if certain rules are followed for the condition but the safest method is to terminate each end outside the building then a mechanical joint and fittings to go inside. HTH.
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 2:19pm
Why not just set a tank near your building and solve your problem with the line under the drive way? Then you would be able to see your true cost for your LP usage.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:25pm
Thanks guys for the comments concerns and suggestions. I have about 250 feet of new propane line if I was to install  new to the house and the building both. Yea we need to be safe on these things.

Today son Eric came over and we installed the other two man doors, except for some screws and hardware that went missing.
I installed 2 inch wide strip of window wrap and  "J" molding around the first man door.
 Also some Z shape gray steel at the 3 foot mark and vinyl starter above that.

Cut the last pieces of the hemlock siding to 3 foot length. Have some stain samples coming from Sashco company. They provide stains and finishes for log homes and siding.

Also went to the neighbors and got another length of the azac stuff cut into,  two 1-5/8 wide strips. That will complete the inside of the Overhead door jamb work when I get them installed.

Cooper and I canned 15 gallons of three different maple syrup grades today also. Kind of restocking the shelves!
He is a good helper sometimes I forget he is only 2!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Sep 2020 at 8:34pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:52am
Looks like he's good help
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 7:55pm
Folks,
 Yes both the boys are handful's! Nothing to exciting today on the building. Head down and doing trim around doors and the trim on top of the wainscoting,plus the steel starter strip for the vinyl. All ready to start with the vinyl tomorrow. 
East walk door:

North Walk door:
These lock sets are the best I ever put in a door. Simple easy and every thing fits and works. Schlage brand. Have lever handles too. basically same doors and trim I put in the house and we really like them. Dead bolts in all of them too. We had no problems with the fit or the gaps around the doors. Shims in the recommended areas. The exterior  of the doors is totally maintenance free with aluminum covered jams and brick molding. These are the first things you touch and also the most used. 

Also started the process to get the PEX materials, for the floor, to at least get them in the floor. The design is waiting in my email box for me to review. The cost of the design will be applied to my order for the tubing and some fittings.
 Has anyone following along, used the staples to hold the pex to the foam? That is my plan sounds a whole lot easier than 10,000 zip ties!Smile
I know there are many tubing system suppliers out there I picked Blue Ridge. I think they are in Portland.  I will wait for a while on the panel and the boiler. One step at a time.

Nic has the electrical swap over date set for next Wednesday. Probably will take all day to get the new service connected and the house changed over.

Thanks for checking on me!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Sep 2020 at 8:06pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm
Folks,
 The building project moves on. With the help of our son Eric we started on the vinyl siding on the north side gable end. Lots of moves. It went pretty darn good. We work together pretty well I was the ground man and did most of the cutting.

Yep its dark gray:

Under the lights we finished this end:
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Sep 2020 at 8:58pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:34pm
Chris, i missed or forgot the details on the electrical.. You are running a new MAIN into the garage, then from the garage feed to house thru a new line underground.. How big ( amps) is the pole feed to the garage.. Does it divide at the meter base and go to the house and garage , or does the power go into the garage breaker box, then a breaker to feed the house ?  Is the house 100 or 200 amps ? ........... just curious.

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Sep 2020 at 9:37pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:41pm
look'in real good my friend!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:07am
Folks,
 This building will have a main service disconnect of 200 amp. Then The house will get 200 amp from that outside service disconnect panel. The sugarhouse has 100 amp circuit off the house.
 Hopefully sometime Wednesday the power lines will be pulled and the house can be hooked up. Then the service will all be underground, and the old leaning power pole and night light will be removed.
Phone company is coming Monday to evaluate/ change the phone service to underground also.
Have reviewed the PEX tubing layout, from Blueridge Co. Two zones of heat. work room and rest of building. Need to decide about getting these materials and getting them installed. Minor changes to the locations of the manifolds required to make it work.

How come I look like a tall SpongeBob in that last picture? The wife can hardly wait, I told here I would cut my hair when the old electric pole is taken down! We will see. I am getting pretty scruffy. Might be a good change, to get me going again. I am a slacker!

Regards,
 Chris

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 12:25pm
That end looks great.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:18pm
WHOA BOY!!!  Cooper is going to have BUNCHES of girls breathing down his neck later on.
It seems like things are going along rather smoothly Chris.
The electrical run is just what I am planning for up at the farm too.  i want to run the new service underground to the pole barn and then to the old milking barn and then one to the house.  I'm really scared of the $$ it's going to take to do this though.  I might have to come out of retirement and get a job again. Cry
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:59pm
Folks,
 Yes Cooper is a cutie. He has my number and can do about any thing and not get in big trouble. 
Not sure on this siding color but need to get used to it real quick!
Once I get the Tyvek covered it may grow on me. 

Also looks like I am now the proud owner of a AC 4000 fork lift! Will be swapping labor and  materials for it. Just what I need, another Allis project! Oh yes, I have pictures! Will try to find the thread I started on this awhile ago too.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Apr 2021 at 7:22am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:27pm
cut yer beard, not yer hair. it's o-k to be bald on the face...not on the head. becides that...the "pretty is coming soon and that hair on the head will help with keeping you warmer!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 5:58am
SD, Allis Tractor Folks,
 Interesting concept! I just may just consider that as option #1 for the new look! I have been lazy since this Covid thing began. Not sure why some kind of a protest I guess, but I have forgot why or what!Smile
Didnt Know getting old would be this much fun!
 Up half the night about making the next correct moves on building details. 
The concrete guys will be here Sat. Sept 19th to start grading the inside of the building, and installing floor drains. Will have three. Small 9"x 9" in the work shop, a 3 foot trench drain in the adjoining bay to the east and a 6 foot trench drain in the big bay to the south.
Should work just fine!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 8:20pm
Folks,
 I kept moving but didn't seem like I accomplished much today. South east corner got some attention. I borrowed a crimping tool for the siding at the top to allow it to clip in to the thin "J" channel I added. Just takes time. 
Several meetings about PEX tubing systems.
 Have been talking with Sashco about stains for the hemlock.
A couple pictures:

Getting dark earlier too. Would like to have the vinyl siding done by the weekend.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Sep 2020 at 8:22pm
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:36pm
I like the siding color myself. Question I have on the electric service is why the expansion fittings? Ive never done or seen it done like that on a service in my 20 years of electrical work. Only used them across the expansion joints of a building or when going from one structure to another so just curious is that a personal touch or local requirement. 
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:32am
re: why the expansion fittings?
probably a code requirement due to ground freeze/thaw cycles ?

Here in Ontario, 'they' changed the install rules. Before you'd run the wire down the pole, through a big(4") PVC elbow----pipe----up a big(4") elbow then into house.
Now, they've replaced the big elbows with sand ! You dig a 3by4' deep hole, add sand 1/2 way, then leave an upside down'?' amount of wire(slack) between pole and horizontal conduit(4" PVC),fill hole with sand. The idea is the sand allows the extra wire to survive the freeze/thaw cycles, so no stress on the terminations.
It makes sense and saves cents. Makes sense as no tight wires, save cents as no big elbows and quicker install.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:11am
Andrew, Folks,
This siding and roofing seem to change a lot with the time of day. 
 I believe Jay has it correct. The expansion joints are mainly for frost movement. Which we can have a lot of. Nic was very concerned about getting these to look perfectly aligned. Humm wonder where he gets that from!
I need to bear down today and get some things done on this project. Title "Shop Talk" needs to be Less Shop Talk, More Shop Action!
Thanks for checking on me and the building blog.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 5:36am
Folks,
 Eric and Adam put the finishing touches on the south end of the siding last night in the dark. Awesome job helping the old man!

Hope to finish the low wall exterior vinyl siding by Friday? That is if I get the missing window?

Received more stains for the hemlock wainscoting from Sashco. These are water based.
Grandson Mike stopped in on his motorcycle and helped stain some sample boards. The "Chestnut" color might work need to get pricing and availability. They do a lot of work with log home finishing.

In the afternoon we carved out a little time to fish too. Rhett and a nice bluegill, he caught, landed, un-hooked and released.

My brother stopped by to visit. 

I ordered the PEX and manifolds for the floor heating system last night from Blue Ridge. Should be hear by Wed next week. We will see, some of the shipping has seemed to slow down.
Have a local PEX installer stopping by tonight to review the plans. Looks like this is going to happen if the materials arrive in time. Well at least the plan is to get the PEX in the floor to the manifolds. The heating system may have to wait a while.

Hope things are good out there in Orange tractor land!
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 56>
  Share Topic