This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shelling popcorn on a new level

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shelling popcorn on a new level
    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 7:55pm
Got the old sheller out, darn thing threw popcorn everywhere so I fabricated a chute out of flashing.  Finally figured out how to adjust it so it wouldn't leave the cobs half full and had to make belt for the fan, my uncle said the original was a round leather one but poly rope was as close as I could get.  Hey Ted J, I got those white corn cobs you said you needed.

Edited by JW in MO - 01 Apr 2019 at 9:28pm
Maximum use of available resources!
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:23pm
Good job on the rope trick..that braiding together looks good...how many tries did that take?..I'm guessing the white corn cobs are for the 'outhouse'!??
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 5:46am
That's the third rope, tried to melt the first one together, the second was too short.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 7:28am
My grandpa could weave barn rope back together when they broke, but this is a new one to me. I would never in a million guess you could make a belt out of one. Nice work, but how did you get the length right?
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 8:32am
I'm thinking if you get it 'close', remove, toss in water overnight, then let dry, it's shrink up just enough to be tight ?

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I'm thinking if you get it 'close', remove, toss in water overnight, then let dry, it's shrink up just enough to be tight ?

For a poly rope?  Hmm...
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

My grandpa could weave barn rope back together when they broke, but this is a new one to me. I would never in a million guess you could make a belt out of one. Nice work, but how did you get the length right?

Oh yeah, that doesn't make me feel old at all.LOL
Poly rope is the the worst to deal with, you can't ever get all the strands melted together but it was all I had lying around that was the right size.  The first one I made was too small, went on ok but where I braided it together wouldn't go around the small pulley, tried to loosen it but decided it was easier to cut another and start over.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

Good job on the rope trick..that braiding together looks good...how many tries did that take?..I'm guessing the white corn cobs are for the 'outhouse'!??

them white ones is "finishin" cobs.  If it stays white after the last wipe, yer done!Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 5:20pm
More than I Needed to Know Info!!!
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:24pm
What brand of sheller is that? I have 1 that looks the same that was made in sandwich, Il I believe.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:19pm
Back in the day, dad would heat up a scoop of lard and melt it down in the pop corn pan. Then a itty bitty of salt and a cup of corn. He would stir it with the handle through the lid. Then it would happen, the corn started popping and he would then dump some out and stir it again. He repeated this a few times, until he had it mostly popped. Then he melted up some butter and stirred it into the corn. 2-16 ozs bottles of RC cola and we were ready to go.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 4:20am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

them white ones is "finishin" cobs.  If it stays white after the last wipe, yer done!Wink

Now,,,that right there is FUNNY,,,,,,,,LOL

We use to sell all the corn we grew,,,,so we had to use rocks or a small branch,,,,,,,Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 4:29am
So that's why your such a hard   aah never mind. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by farmboy520 farmboy520 wrote:

What brand of sheller is that? I have 1 that looks the same that was made in sandwich, Il I believe.

This one is also, can barely make out the lettering of Sandwich but we have one at our club show grounds that has perfect lettering and paint, never been redone.

I shelled 2 gallons of popcorn last night, my belt stretched and was useless, but it was pretty much useless anyway, didn't get rid of much of the chaff anyway but that may be due to my chute but I doubt it.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:13am
gets a 6 sided mower belt
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:39am
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

I shelled 2 gallons of popcorn last night, my belt stretched and was useless, but it was pretty much useless anyway, didn't get rid of much of the chaff anyway but that may be due to my chute but I doubt it.

If you look close, I think you can look in the sheller and see the fan. It is not much of a fan. You would probably be better off to have a box fan or something blowing on the corn after it comes out of your chute. I usually just have a short rubbermaid tub under the sheller and a fan blowing over it to try and get what chaff I can. If it still has some that you want to get rid of, I pour from tub to tub in front of a fan or outside on a breezy day.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:44am
And how hard was it to make that chute?
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:27am
JW in MO  You can buy a round leather belt at a store that sells and services sewing machines.  About 7 bucks, and you cut it to length and join the ends with the staple thing that comes with it.  Same belt used on the old treadle sewing machines. 
I just bought one to replace mine on my old Sioux valve grinder machine and it works great!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:50pm
Well thanks JW!!  But I don't need em anymore.  The GALS decided to pitch in some $$$ and put it in there.  Now I don't have to worry about it anymore.....

Yeah, rope is not a good idea.  It doesn't matter what kind, it'll all stretch in time.  That idea with the sewing machine belt is probably your best bet.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:10pm
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:52am
Well the chute was was a good idea gone bad, worked good for a while though.  Was shelling white popcorn today and the cobs are smaller.  The adjustment to shell it is ok but there is no adjustment on the back end to eject the cobs.  The smaller ones tend to fall down below the wheel and out the bottom with the kernels.  With the chute in place the cobs can't fall out so they end up blocking the chute and when I finally figured it out there were over a dozen cobs and about 3 pints of corn lodged in there.  Come winter I will work on a different design.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:41am
A nylon rope might work, nylon stretches, so make it a little short.
I grew up making rope halters for training and dairy cattle in 4-H.
Splicing rope isn't very hard.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:49am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

gets a 6 sided mower belt

For the outhouse???🤣🤣🤣
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 3:52pm
The sewing machine belt has a little steel hook,  You just cut it to length and hook the ends together.  Just remember, you measure once and cut twice!!Big smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:27pm
John(MI)
Are you sure?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:40pm
after running the smaller ears thru once and if they still have kernals on them, run several thru together again and that should take the rest of the kernals off, we had to do that several times with regular size corn using the old green sheller.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic