This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sheep question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheep question
    Posted: 08 May 2022 at 8:07pm
I must say I don't know anything about them except that you could try counting them if you are having difficulty falling asleep. With that being said I pass a small hobby ranchers place every time I drive to our farm. I noticed his 6 or so sheep were out grazing this evening and still had their huge winter fleece on. With temperatures going into the '90s this week shouldn't they be sheared by now??? Seems like that coat of fleece would be unbearable. Anybody know?? Ryan
Sponsored Links

tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 10:02pm
It will shed if not sheared!

Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 10:39pm
Hi all in New Zealand we would take the wool off in November (late spring early summer) but  some farmers will pre lamb shear August (late winter)  this makes the ewes head for shelter and lamb in the shelter 
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 10:52pm
way to trick em KIWI!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 4:26am
Neighbor has sheep

His are done similar to what kiwi noted during lambing. Are really over sensitive critters, get excited easily where if get too excited, die. Sneeze among them and some die, gets too wet too long some die. Yell too loud and one will die.

Have to worm them a LOT as eat just off grade where ingest nematodes and other nasty worms where many commercial worming meds no longer work.

They get wet in summer and the lanolin odor is awful, their manure stinks something terrible.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 6:11am
my renter shears sheep on the side for extra $$. says he shears about 5000 a year. he has a semi trailer he stores the wool in, dunno where he sells it.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 8:22am
Check out "Freedom Farms" you-tube.  This guy is active duty Army but raises sheep (I believe meat not wool) on his Missouri farm.  Also farms with A C stuff so he's got to be O K.  Interesting operation and would probably answer questions, I think it's been a learning experience and believe he started it from the ground up.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:36pm
Everyone forgot they taste terrible.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:59pm
i'm kinda with Festus on this one, i really don't like the meat either. i raised them in 4-H, but never butchered them. i spose that's why they serve mint jelly with lamb...helps kill the taste? 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:35pm
Meat from a lamb not some old ewe is one of my favorites.  My wife likes it too but can be over frugal some times.  She had some cheap chops she was cooking, an something smelled a bit off.  Looked the package over "product of Australia" , and me thinks this was a lost in the desert lamb that got 2 maybe 3 instead of less than one year old.

Wool is not worth the price to shear in the USA. A good friend leaving the sinking ship here has 3 garbage bags full to go in the trash if my DIL does not want to mess with it. She is city girl wanting to get back to nature and is into all things making her own wool, and then making stuff.   

Several citydots have had a sheep or 2 and never got them sheared, did not kill them.  But looked very mangy as it came off in patches over summer. Generally sheep are just looking for a excuse to lay down and die. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic