This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat covers over leather

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat covers over leather
    Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:38am
We got a new Tahoe for a family vehicle.  We want to put some seat covers in it to keep it nice as we have a dog that travels with us as well as three kids.
The seats are leather and the front ones are heated.  Would you put a cloth or a leather cover on a leather seat?  I wondered about cloth as they could be washed but usually they are such a bugger to install the first time that I don't want to do it again!
Sponsored Links

Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:44am
Duluth Traders sells some nice seat covers that are quick to install when you need them and pull out when you don't.  They also have a matching deal that covers your backseat for dogs.  I use in my truck when working at the farm and pull them out when not doing dirty work.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
If you cover them up you can't enjoy them.  How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle?  I'm the type of person that uses the good china every day.  It doesn't make sense to me to sell something that looks, or is new, after having it for 25 years.  Enjoy it while you have it!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:13pm
Put cloth covers over the two front leather seats on my '99 F150 after the leather was pretty much worn out. They were a bit on the pricey side but were exact fit for the vehicle and have held up well. About ready for a whole new seat on the drivers side but the cover is still good.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:18pm
My wifes car is the dog car, it has leather as well.  She got a thing, for lack of words, that hooks on the head-rests and cradles the back seat for the dogs.  Not sure where, or the price,  but works very well!  Now the kids???

Edited by Dave in PA - 12 Dec 2018 at 4:18pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 5:12pm
I work till I look rode hard and put away wet.. Then I jump in the truck with leather bucket seats to go home...... The son just bought me a "cover" that is made like a carhart jacket.. It has a small strap around the head rest, then two  Velcro straps about 2 inches wide across the back and one on the bottom at the back edge.. I installed it in about 2 minutes. Thought about removing it on a daily basis, but have left it on for 2 weeks straight so far. I can pop it off if we go out on the town.  It covers the seat and back where you sit, then wraps 3-4 inches around the side to grab on... don't seem to slide around much.

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Dec 2018 at 5:12pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:13pm
You might want to check if you have side restraint pillows on your back rest you may not want to put a cover over it. there should be a warning tag on the side of the seat. Randy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:09pm
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:33pm
My uncle installed seat covers for Montgomery Wards way back in the 50s.  He never understood why people cover new seats up for the next owner to enjoy,  enjoy the original seats and put the new seat covers on when you sell the vehicle.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 10:09pm
If you put permanent covers on you will more than likely remove them to find your seat damaged from trapped dirt and wear.
Use the seats and cover them when they look bad, or just throw something quick over them and remove regular to keep the big stuff off.
Like a towel.
Leather seats usually end up looking bad anyways.

HD3
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 10:26pm
Kind of a shame to send a worn-out broken-down vehicle to the scrapper with brand-new looking seats.
I carry a big beach towel for those times when I need to get in looking like I was wrestling with the pigs. washable and folds up nice behind the seat when not in use
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:49pm
I hate leather seats in vehicles! always cold in winter, always hot in summer, always slick and my butt slides around on them to much. our new burb has leather, only cuz we couldn't get cloth seats. i'll drive the old burb anyday over the new one. it has cloth seats and is more comfy, same as both my pickups. had leather seats in my old hearse, hated them seats too, and they wasn't in the back.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 7:04am
I have a pet cover for my back seat in the suburban. Got it at fleet farm. Looks like a chunk of car hart jacket with straps on it takes about a minute to install. My wife used to put sheepskin covers on her van I took them out ant threw away. The kids kept spilling on them. And they looked like crud. The leather seats underneath were much easier to clean. Leather just wipes off if you get it right away.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 7:31am
easy solution.. just put it up on blocks and never drive it again...Wink
YOU paid LARGE for them leather ,heated seats so use them 'naked' !!
As for the dog issue, I'm assuming hair, friend uses his leaf blower to clean the cars. 60 seconds and there isn't one dog hair,gum wrapper or sales receipt in the car.

Have to ask , do you have them clear plastic covers on the sofas ?
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 10:23am
Dang Shameless, you found a burb cheap enough that it did not have heated and cooled seats in it.  LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 1:41pm
naw Dave, it has them. I just ain't found the right buttons to activate them yets!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 1:43pm
we did find one used burb with cloth seats, but it had been wrecked and re-built in not such a good way, we passed on that one.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm
No sofa covers Jay!
I am wondering about the temporary covers that some mention.  The dog likes to jump in the front seat when we are out of the vehicle too so he might not stay where the covers are.
Some food for thought here definitely!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 3:45pm
Shameless, you are not supposed to be driving buck-a$$ed naked!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 8:42pm
NAKED ??  GEES, how do you get that picture out of your head ?? Dead
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 11:28pm
I have a 07 Ram with 317,000+ miles that has the foam hanging out on the driver's seat. Whenever helper and I do a muddy or a sewer job we just throw a contractor's garbage bag over the seats and roll. Have never washed since I bought it in 09.
The 14 Ram is starting to look kind of tacky lately. Yikes!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 11:45am
the puppies ain't been in the new burb yets, kinda afraid that their toe nails might puncture that leather
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 12:00pm
our labs toe nails have not bothered the Toyota leather seats since 2015  Confused
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:10pm
we kept the old burb, that will be the wet dog hauler!
marnetromburg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marnetromburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:48am
I recently got the same model, and those leather seats are killing me. I thought of buying velvet covers for them, what do you think?
freyafrigohre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyafrigohre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:53am
It's always a tough decision, whether to go for cloth or leather seat, covers on leather seats. Personally, I lean towards cloth covers. They're easier to clean, and you can simply toss them in the washing machine when needed. While they might be a bit tricky to install initially, it's worth the hassle, considering the convenience in the long run.
But I recently came across a fascinating blog about leather crafting that you might find interesting. It delves into the intricate process of how leather is made and shares some valuable insights. If you're curious, check it out at https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/how-is-leather-made/. It's always fun to learn more about the materials we love, right?

Edited by freyafrigohre - 19 Jun 2023 at 6:33am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 5:59am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I work till I look rode hard and put away wet.. Then I jump in the truck with leather bucket seats to go home...... The son just bought me a "cover" that is made like a carhart jacket.. It has a small strap around the head rest, then two  Velcro straps about 2 inches wide across the back and one on the bottom at the back edge.. I installed it in about 2 minutes. Thought about removing it on a daily basis, but have left it on for 2 weeks straight so far. I can pop it off if we go out on the town.  It covers the seat and back where you sit, then wraps 3-4 inches around the side to grab on... don't seem to slide around much.

Like you, I often get in the truck dirty and sweaty. I don't want to cover the seats long term, but I would like something like you are talking about. 
Do you have a brand name or link where your son got it (or one like it)? I clicked on the link you posted, but it was for a dog anti-barking device.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 12:05am
friend just puts a T shirt over the seat back , head rest fits through neck hole , and a terrycloth towel on the seat area . can just wash when needed 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 6:59am
As this an old thread revived, I see John (MI) posted, has anybody heard from John? It’s been over a year from his last post. I know he mentioned he was suffering from cancer.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 3:23pm
WF--- i have something like this... Only on the drivers seat... 90% of the time im by myself..... take it off every 4 months and put in the washer.... on and off in 2 minutes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic