This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sayings and colloquialisms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Today at work one of our plumbers asked me if I like country and western music? I looked at him and said, Son western is to music what a dog turd is to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

From the Blues Brothers movie-

Jake and Elwood ask the lady at Bob's Country Bunker what type of music they play.

The lady says "both kinds, country AND western!"
Sponsored Links

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:25pm
Sign over the commode in our house back in Illinois read  IN IT NOT AT IT. WE AIM TO PLEASE. YOU AIM TOO PLEASE.
    We had a 1/32nd scale slot car track in our basement.  One night a week the basement would fill up with slot car racers .  Wife finally said.  Last night that bunch of friends of yours pissed up my bathroom for the last time. It's time you do something about. Sooo'
    I made this sign big enough a blind man could read it.    Worked Too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:35pm
A Cracker Jack      Just name a trade or Occupation       Joe is a Cracker Jack plumber.

SOB                       Son of a BEE

Shoot first - Ask Questions Later

Falling over Dollar Bills picking up nickels and dimes

Edited by Ken in Texas - 11 Apr 2019 at 8:39pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 3:43am
FLUB-A-DUB

How wormy can it get

MICKEY MOUSE        The worst you can say about just about anything.   This is why I dropped out of the local MICKEY MOUSE Antique Tractor Club

Take time to smell the roses

Best if left alone

If that aint a crime it should be
ford8nwd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 7:56am
It ain't what you want that makes you fat, it's what you get.

Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 8:07am
As you slide down the banister of life , May the splinters never point in the wrong direction.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 8:08am
Hahaha!  I like that one Gordy!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:20am
Dad would say this sometimes if you wanted him to help do something, but he always helped anyway.  "I'm too light for heavy work and too heavy for light work".

Also one of his weather sayings: "all signs fail in wet and dry weather".
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:36am
When a cow tries to scratch he ear it means a shower is very near.

If sheep ascend hills and scatter expect clear weather.

Edited by Gordy - 13 Apr 2019 at 8:39am
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:44am
another one from highschool, 'if I had a dog with a face like that i'd shave his asx and make him walk backwards'
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 9:05am
the early worm gets eaten
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:51pm
One I heard in Canada... it is so flat around here you can watch your dog run away for several days. .
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:59pm
I've always liked, the hell ya say. Works good on telemarketers too. Breaks up their predetermined spiel just long enough to get em all screwed up.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:34pm
The boss was wound up tighter than a bulls ass in fly season.
He had me runnin around like a chicken with its head cut off.
Then I got wound up tighter than the G string on a Silvertone banjo.
I had to repair some storm damage. The boss asked how it looked ? I told him it’s like the ole boy said that sewed the bulls ass shut with grape vine. It ain’t too pretty but it’s hell for stout. 😁
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 6:50pm
 One momma overheard telling her friend while watching her son miss yet another flyball at a Little League game,,,, " Hold my purse,,I'm gonna go get his azz"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:07am
Good Golly Miss Molly

Once a King always a King. Once a Knight is enough

Livin on Borrowed Time

Rock-a-by Baby in the tree top. When the bough brakes the cradle will fall. Down will come Baby cradle and all.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:45am
Dad always said on a job or project not going as planned or tougher then expected:

"This is about like shearing a pig! A heck of a lot of squealing for the little bit of hair you get!"

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Dad always said on a job or project not going as planned or tougher then expected:

"This is about like shearing a pig! A heck of a lot of squealing for the little bit of hair you get!"

Regards,
 Chris

That's a good one! There are days I can really relate to it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:58am
I wish I had a 5 cents for every ear of corn I shucked by hand
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:54am
If trips around the world were a nickel I couldn’t afford to get out of sight.
There ain’t a nickels difference between a workin man and a deadbeat. The deadbeat is usually the one with the nickel.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:57pm

Confucius says-
He who farts in church sits in pew.
He who runs in front of car get tired, he who runs behind car gets exhausted.

You can lead a horse to water but it is a lot easier to ride him.

We were so poor-
Growing up we had wieners for supper one night and wiener water the next.
I couldn't afford to pay attention.
Our house was so small we had to go outside just to change our mind.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:03pm
A couple coats of paint will hide a multitude of sins.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions!

Both of those were repeated frequently by my grandmother. She believed in "paint it if its not moving" and she tried to get things done.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 5:23am
Caulk and paint don’t make a carpenter what he ain’t
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 5:45am
Do the drapes match the carpet?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:21am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Do the drapes match the carpet?
So you saw the carpet first???!LOLLOLLOL
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:17pm
Nervous as a whore in church
busy as a cat on a hot tin roof
No sh t?
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:13am
Some people are like blisters, They don't show up until the work is done.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 6:50am
She is so Country she makes Loreta Lynn look like a city slicker.
No bones about it.
Cant beat that with a stick
Old dogs and Children and watermelon wine
Jimminy Christmas
Got her tit in the wringer
Living the life of (Guess Who?)   
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:19am
....Riley.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:36am
Rogers on that Mr Tbone        Don't yah just love it when a plan comes together.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic