This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SAE 250 Gear Oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAE 250 Gear Oil
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:27am
For steering, WD45 wide front. Not an easy item to find and pretty expensive when it is found. Nothing local to me but I did find Lubriplate SPO-288 available for $65/gallon shipped. I know it takes just a quart or so, but this tractor's going to be on a tight maintenance regimen from now on; better the prevention than the cure. Any recommendations? Lubriplate OK? I'd rather stick with dino instead of synthetic, the synthetic is just crazy more expensive from what I've been able to find.
Thanks!
- Tim
Sponsored Links

TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:51am
Also the Lubriplate APG-250, not sure if a better choice. In line with the SPO-288 price-wise.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:58am
Why not just corn head gearbox grease ??   Readily available one tube at a time and much cheaper than you are thinking.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:08am
What SAE weight is the corn head grease?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:09am
Well, Doc, I figure because I didn't know that corn head grease was a suitable substitute. If you say so, that's what I'll get! Thank you.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:24am
John, didn't see your post when I replied. I haven't a clue, either. Just on my way out right now to get a tube or two on my way back to the farm, maybe I'll hold off. But I figure if DrAllis says good to go, who am I to say otherwise? I'll get the corn head grease and call it good until and unless there's a reason to replace it. But for now I'm calling it good enough.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:27am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

What SAE weight is the corn head grease?

This would be NGLI 00 or 000 grease. It isn't the same as oil. Oil is supposed to flow. Grease isn't
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:31am
Like Doc when I rebuild front ends they all get corn head grease, I pack the bearings and as they are being built then just fill the housing up to the fill hole, drive it around in first gear turning hard left & right and refill back up again. You might try removing the grease fitting off the end of gun it might pump in faster I have not tried doing that but might help.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:32am
OK. That's corn head grease for me. Hard to say that or read it and not get hungry for a stack of johnnycakes lol!

Edited by TimCNY - 25 Jun 2019 at 10:34am
jorstad brothers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorstad brothers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:05pm
Pack with grease than top off with Lucas hub oil.
remember plunder than burn
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 5:50pm
I've seen several times where guys mixed grease and oil in the front end to make something close to 250 wt, less scientific that way but if it doesn't leak out lubrication is lubrication.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 6:21pm
I put corn head grease in all mine it's a little thicker than 250w but still will flow around the gears. When we had problem gear boxes on aircraft we mixed grease and hyd fluid 50/50 and heated til you could stir. It was a leagle fix for leaky gear boxes on air planes till it went to the next 5 year depot Maintance.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:05pm
Corn head grease is in. But I think it's a lot easier to tell how much is in there when it flows a bit. I figure there's about 1-1/2 tubes of grease. Turned left-right stop-to-stop a lot in-between fillings. Topping it off with Lucas hub oil doesn't sound like a bad idea to me, might try that after a few days of working her.
Thanks, all!
- Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic