This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rust proofing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust proofing
    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 11:16pm
Anybody ever have this done to car or truck?   Results?? Any cons? Any brand preference? Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 12:23am
I talked to a body man several years ago, and he said that that spray in/on rust proofing is the worst thing someone can do to their vehicle. he said the vehicles will rust faster with that stuff on/in them than if just left alone. I've never had one done, so I don't know. MOPAR offers a rust insurance policy on their new/and some used vehicles.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:13am
If 'they' put ONE grain of salt on your roads... RUSTPROOF is a must !! My '97 F150 is still on the road and SOLID, everyone else's is long gone. Guy next door(fantastic body guy) resells parts and 2010s are 'history'.
The key to rustproofing is 1st, take to carwash and CLEAN the underside really,really good. Next day, go back and do it again ! 3rd day let it dry. 4th day..NOW go get it rustproofed. Best to be done late summer,early fall.You want the car to be warm/hot. Leave in sun..helps the 'stuff' flow a bit better. Drive down gravel road for dus to stick on. Do NOT go to carwash and spray the underside !
What amazes me is guys paying 50-60-100K for their new ride,, NOT paying <$200 for rustproofing ,and then 5-7 years later BUYING another ride....
Everyone who has calcium filled tractor tires KNOWS what salt does...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:13am
jay, you should explain that "rust proofing" in Canada is basically spraying the bottom of the car with an OIL, not  TAR, and the oil is redone every year ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:30am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I talked to a body man several years ago, and he said that that spray in/on rust proofing is the worst thing someone can do to their vehicle. he said the vehicles will rust faster with that stuff on/in them than if just left alone. I've never had one done, so I don't know. MOPAR offers a rust insurance policy on their new/and some used vehicles.
Sounds like a body man that wants to guarantee future work.

Of course it works, as jay said, great prep work is absolute key.  I had a Thunderbird that was rustproofed when I bought it ~ 5 years old.  I had it redone when it was about 9 years old.  The car was 22 years old when I sold it, and had very little rust.  That's saying something for Ohio / Michigan!!!
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:25am
I absolutely believe in rustproofing especially on new vehicles,  but good preparation  is essential,  clean,  dry, and warm.  Hopeful the guy doing the job knows what he is doing and does a good job.  I always warn them that I will inspect it and they will redo it if not done to my satisfaction and one place did have to redo some of it.  Like Tbone95 insinuates  Michigan is the rust capital of the world when speaking of vehicles.  If you have a nice classic rust free vehicle,  stay at least 50 miles away from the Michigan border.  That rust monster has long fingers.  Someday they will have to reclassify the fresh water Great Lakes to salt water Great Lakes.  Funny that back in the early 60s when I was heading out to do my term in the US Army,  I had never been out of the State of Michigan before  and as I was riding in that bus in other states I started noticing junk cars setting in junk yards were looking great compared the cars we were driving on the streets back in Michigan.

Edited by weiner - 24 Jun 2019 at 9:28am
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 10:38am
For sure weiner.  Few years back, my friend and neighbor was with a group heading out to Wyoming for a hunting trip.  They had truck troubles in I think it was Nebraska, or maybe Iowa.  Anyway, at the dealership, the manager came to get them, totally freaked out, wanting to talk to them about this horrible defective material in their truck and wasn't sure if he should let them go back out on the road.  They wondered what the heck he was talking about, so he took them out where the truck was on a hoist.  "Just look at this!"  To which they were all, "Look at what?"  "ALL THIS RUST!!! This is not normal for a truck of this age!"  To which the owner said, "Looks pretty typical to me.  In fact holding up better than my last one!"
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:47am
My 95 and 97 had that crap put on when new and it ate the frame in half!---salt gets in the cracks of the coating and sits there eating away! ---Spring hanger brackets go first. Stay away from that crap, just keep truck washed and hope for the best.
Ban the salt from being put on the roads in the first place and we all would be better off in the long run, but carmakers and salt makers are in cahoots to sell more cars.

Edited by ac fleet - 24 Jun 2019 at 11:48am
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 2:06pm
Oil under coating works great if you redo it yearly, so does regular under coating if it is touched up every year.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 4:51pm
So what brand are you guys using? I can't find a ziebart dealer.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:38pm
All the 'rustproofing' done up here is some kind of 'friendly' oil coating that's 'waxy'. It is NOT a 'one shot deasl', you do have to touchup and reapply, generally based on miles and conditions. I also use 'Rustcheck' products, spray bombs ,thick and thin. Thick for 'undercoating', thin for lubing things that people think WD40 is made for. Rustcheck stays on the parts, like quick attach parts, D-14 lift latches, etc. Hard to believe Michigan is worse than Ontario for dumping salt on the roads !

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:14pm
there's a line-X here, and a gorilla one in Omaha
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:33pm
I'm not a fan, since the mid-eighties almost all under car components are E-coated, and petroleum based products will degrade it, plus most undercoating products attract dirt which plugs drainage holes and holds moisture. I buy a monthly pass to the car wash and go at least 3-4 times a week in the salt season, and I haven't had a car or truck with any rust problems in almost forty years. Clean, dry, coated metal will not rust.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 6:18am
I worked for Michigan Department of Transportation plowing snow and they used to use chloride to treat curves, intersections and overpasses especially during extreme cold as that was the only material that would work. I sprayed liquid chloride. Anyone who knows chloride will tell you it is highly corrosive. MDOT trucks are sandblasted and frames repainted every few years. They use a special soap that neutralizes salt when washing. Trucks are washed after every event. MDOT now uses salt brine instead of chloride except when mixed with sand during extreme cold. I had my new truck oil undercoated as years ago I had one Ziebarted and it rusted out just as fast. Living in Michigan I believe it takes a lot of effort to keep a vehicle up between the potholes and the salt! And the salt is why we have the potholes! Freezing and Thawing! Road freezes ,salt thaws,water runs into cracks refreezes and pops out the pavement!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:39am
Yeah, and then the geniuses have to cut rumble grooves all down the center line of new pavement and then fill them in the following year because of how broken up it gets. Brilliant!
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:58am
But,  but, but,  our new governor (Jenny`s twin) will fix everything just as soon as she gets that 45 cent a gallon TAX in place to fix the roads.   Hmmmmm a new tax to fix the roads,  does that sound familiar?
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:00am
Hmmmm....yeah.....familiar from somewhere.  Jenny's twin is friggin' right!Censored
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:07am
I have bought a gallon of the DESALT stuff that klinemar is talking about...  A few oz in a weed sprayer with a gallon of water goes a long way under the truck... Wash that off and you have no "SALT" left, just WET .............. I have also bought a gallon of RUST CONVERTER than when painted on rust will chemically convert the surface to a hard BACK OZIDE coating..........I then repaint the frame with Black paint, or spray inside the rocker panels with thin tar undercoating...

What ever you do, you have to check and touchup every couple years to keep the rust away.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:54am
YES, it's an on going battle NOT a 'do-it-once-and-done' thing !!
Idiots up here have dumped so much salt that one  bridge has been 'rebuilt' 3 times since it was erected in 1967. They now use 'coated' rebar BUT of course don't use  coated wire ties, paint the cutoff ends, etc.
Anyone who has properly reurbished a rim that had calicum in it KNOWS the PITA job it is, cars are just bigger, more complicated ....

Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:45pm
The last Governor raised taxes to fix the roads also, but he felt it more important to re-appropriate the money to his special interest friends and Corporate Welfare programs. "I'm sure Enbridge, Nestle, and Meijer, along with a few more are grateful. At least he didn't balance the budget by selling off State owned revenue producing assets like his role model Engler did, probably discovered that  there wasn't much left to sell.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:21pm
Lots of companies making the brown wax used to "oil the frame".
 CRC has SP-400 which soaks into the rust and turns to wax.
 LPS is maybe LPS3.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:34pm
They use cosmoline to prevent rust when they store & then ship parts across the big pond, stuff is tuff to remove.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:40pm
Tbone I used to think the same as you about Rumble Strips until one January Night the wind was blowing 40mph and it was snowing too. I could not see the 12' plow on the front of the truck! I knew there was a big gas station not too far up the road and I figured I could make that and get off the road until I could see better. Truck radio was blaring with other plow drivers in the same shape all over the county. I  steered the truck to the middle of the road until my drivers side front tire was on the rumble strip then I knew where the middle of the road was and made it too the gas station. My biggest fear was hitting a stuck car. All I was going was 15mph! Waited at the gas station about an hour and the wind let up some so back on the road I went plowing. Gas station did not stay open all night. Too bad I could have used a cup of coffee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic