This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rural Security Mailbox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rural Security Mailbox
    Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:11pm
Anyone use one of the locking mailboxes, which type and any success preventing a$$holes from stealing mail?
I would set up a game camera but large box is mounted at roadside so motion sensing would catch all traffic and it's on a busy hwy.
Thought about a sensor buried an inch or two below ground where both the mailman and jerks are driving up to box, then mounting a no glow game camera down the fenceline so as to catch the vehicle/license plate at night. Fence for cattle is only about 20' up a slight grade from roadside box.
Causing issues for a number of folks in the area and hoping I don't have to go the PO Box route at post office in town as sometimes don't go to town for a couple of weeks.
Heavy penalties if you can catch em' and I would like to but may just try one of those pricey security boxes knowing sure well that nothing is absolutely theft proof.
Sponsored Links

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:43pm
i would like to see it a federal offense for any of the porch pirates just like the us mail
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:16pm
Maybe set up a micro-switch under the door of the mailbox where it isn't seen and then run the cable under ground up the fence line and then set a camera to take a picture of the mailbox area and possible car plates and face etc.  Use a fake hollow post for housing the camera or video... 

Or maybe put up some Burma Shave type signs...
 To let you know... this mailbox is.... under 24/7 security...  It will be your last.

Hope you catch the rotten Censored Censored and get some satisfaction too...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
irlbeck A-C'S View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:06pm
This won't help with the mail thiefs but it would cure the box bashing issues LoL

B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:30am
I love the guy who puts 'paint bomb packages' on is own porch. When the thief opens it up, ka-blamm..... ..instant red face !!!!
That's what I'd do..
Maybe mix in some liquid pepper spray ??
Can you imagine the MESS of the perps car  or house ? hehehe
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:40am
Old hermit used to live up the road when I was a kid.  He used to bring his mailbox out, chain it to the post with a log chain and heavy lock, then sit there for an hour +, however long it took for the mailman to show up, the literally GET his mail: box, log chain, lock and all!  Everyday!LOL

He'd probably kill the idiot mailman we have now, you never know when it'll show up.  You could about set your clock by the guy back then.LOL
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:24am
Placement of the camera would not be an issue as metal tee posts with sheep and goat fencing topped by 2 strands of barbed wire. Have a tall reed type grass year round, can't quite get up close with the brush hog and that is okay as grasses "catch" plastic bags from hwy for the most partso curious calves don't ingest em'. Camera could be mounted about 2' above ground in the fence line to shoot through the grasses.
Looking on-line, don't see anything for game cameras pressure (weight) activated that I can use for putting in the ground right at the mailbox.
Shame really, plenty of scumbags out there and remember an old timer neighbor farmer that told of his dad hollowing out firewood for for just enough explosives to catch firewood thieves back in the early 1900's.
Even then, said word would eventually get out on who was buying a new wood stove in the area.
Lawsuits would be flying if done today but this was very rural and they started by tracking foot prints/sled marks in the snow between farms as wood was piled up in the woods to dry for a year or two after cutting.
This from the same guy that would stop by our place each spring when he was ready to get rid of manure piles from a heavy winter. Just wanted to let us know there would be a "boom" and always teased us for using a FEL to load/spread ours as he was "done in just a few minutes".
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 2:24pm
Don't place the game camera in the weeds. I have cameras from three different manufacturers and anything that dangles in front of the camera will set it off such as weeds, branches ect. The hollow post idea would be best and usually as high as you can get it is better as most do not look up. Maybe just a smile you are on Candid Camera on the door would be enough.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I love the guy who puts 'paint bomb packages' on is own porch. When the thief opens it up, ka-blamm..... ..instant red face !!!!
That's what I'd do..
Maybe mix in some liquid pepper spray ??
Can you imagine the MESS of the perps car  or house ? hehehe

Did I hear a request?

[TUBE]isxaKofBufg[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:39pm
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:42pm
BIL had a Mailbox full of Crete, after the third one was mashed, Heard a car screech to a almost stop then WHAM then MALE SCREAMS, Guy tried to Sue him for two broken hands but that would have to await his trial for destruction of Postal Equipment AND Mail as had destroyed several other boxes getting to this one!! Needless to say 12 years now and STILL No charges!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:51pm
I can cut the grass a tad where needed, weight activated would be best to snap pics starting when they drive onto it. Motion can't be used as busy highway would have it record every vehicle, up high can't be used as it will be visible during the day on the busy road, I'll figure something out and will likely start with a sign or two.
No Trespassing, and something along the lines of Video Surveillance In Use may be enough to deter them.
Best sign I have seen read: "If You Can Read This You Are In Range".
smokechaser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokechaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:58pm
Around here, the knowledge of what we would do to a thief or vandal stops most of them.  Except my father, who keeps trying to steal my property tax bill.
A-C HD5G, HD3, I600, WD-45; IH 424, B414, B250, Cub; Oliver OC6; Clark R60; Bungartz T5; Ferguson TO-20; MH 44
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:57pm
Tim... I think the best answer, is a magnetic reed switch triggering a remote control transmitter that trips a camera.

It'd require a camera with remote trigger... and a remote of some sort, and a magnetic reed switch.

The switch is easy... any home security outfit will have 'em... mount the switch inside the box (so they can't get to it to disable it without opening, and thus tripping)

The remote... and the camera...

Rather than hiding it in the grass a few feet away, the other option would be to use a telephoto lens on an SLR from a much further distance...

OR... put a video camera on it, with a hard drive, and just film ALL of it, so there's no trigger event required...

How far is the mailbox from your nearest building with electricity??
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:41pm
If you wanna throw some $ into it, these magnetic vehicle detectors can be used as switches for cameras.  Not saying for sure that this particular one can do it, just do a little research...  Turf farm I used to work at, has'em, and also has cameras, on most alla the road.  Still didn't stop them from havin a zero turn stolen, this summer, but the route that the thief took, is indicative that he knew about all these devices(inside job, by one of the manuel laborers...)Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic