This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running Gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running Gear
    Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:31am
Hear is one I've never understood. Why is the tongue, frame and axles of a 4 wheel farm wagon called a "running gear".

Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:11pm
Old railroad term defines a pulled rail car as a “running gear.” The railroad locomotive was defined as the “drive gear.”

So maybe a farm wagon running gear is such as it’s pulled by a tractor/truck(drive gear)??

Also a trailer is defined as a pulled fixed axle(s) vehicle. The front frame of a farm wagon running gear steers while it’s rear frame trails. So maybe since it steers, then it’s a running gear vehicle?

Edited by AC7060IL - 24 Jan 2021 at 1:19pm
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:17pm
Here’s another definition

Running gear
The term running gear is used to describe the wheels, suspension, steering, powertrain & chassis/bodyshell of a motor-car or automobile, or the tracks and road wheels of a tank or similar tracked vehicle. The Running-gear was patented in 1906 by Thomas A. Gray of Farmville, Virginia. Patent # 858.807
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 5:15pm
So was anyone good at backing one? I never was. Dad could do it, but it seemed easier to hook to the front hitch on the tractor and push it where it needed to go.

I've heard of those tractor rodeos..........I would do OK on anything but that. No problems with 2 wheel trailers, but 4 wheels gotta go forward or I'm out of luck. I can push one by hand, but not if it's loaded.

Edited by modirt - 24 Jan 2021 at 5:16pm
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

So was anyone good at backing one? I never was. Dad could do it, but it seemed easier to hook to the front hitch on the tractor and push it where it needed to go.

I've heard of those tractor rodeos..........I would do OK on anything but that. No problems with 2 wheel trailers, but 4 wheels gotta go forward or I'm out of luck. I can push one by hand, but not if it's loaded.

My first experience with one, I was with an 80+ year old Farmer.  We needed it "backed up" to a different spot.  Farmer says "well I'll just circle around with it".  I looked at him and said, "why don't we just back up".  He looked at me, smiled and said "sounds good.  I'll watch.....".  You all know the outcome.......LOLLOLLOLLOL
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

Best way is with a NF tractor, and a front push bumper with a stub drawbar(4"stub with a hole in it for connecting the trailer tongue)...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:12pm
Some days it's easy. Other days I wish for a front hitch. The biggest puzzle for me is why is it easier to back a short wagon with my crew cab long bed than a longer wagon?
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
I often wondered where the name came from to. I always call it running gear and get weird looks by some people that’s not around wagons much.
I do all my backing up with my truck. Try not to let it get to out of shape, some days goes better then others. As long as it’s one shot when someone is watching lol.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:47am
easiest way to back a 4 wheel wagon straight back is as you are backing up...keep turning your steering wheel back and forth left to right. do it fast not slow.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:48am
helps to have a tight tongue too
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 7:39am
Reading this post brings a lot of humor! There are several factors with geometry for each set-up — length of tongue, steering ratio of tractor (good ps is a big plus)and length of wagon. I luckily figured this out at a very young age during competitions at our local fair. On the farm growing up, I never told my brothers which wagons/ tractor combos were easier and we bet on who would be quicker with the least amount of pull forwards. At 46 now, my brothers still haven’t figured it out yet lol.. We still have our fun to this day!
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:38am
Another little trick you have to see to believe is backing a tractor with too wide front mounted cultivator through a narrow gate. Couldn't believe my eyes first time I saw it done (my dad), but once concept was understood, that one was easy. Narrow front tractor essential for that one too.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:50am
the best, very best thing I ever saw was an old farmer backup TWO wagons with his tractor UP the driveway grade.....
I was awe struck that it COULD be done.he just did it , 'matter of fact'.......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:03pm
I'm pretty darn good backing up wagons, if I don't mind saying so myself.

FWA tractor, short wheelbase gravity box uphill into the barn on the ice can make a liar out of me though.

FWA tractor, at least mine, you have to learn it's one little nuance: when you make a turn backing up, it leans the wrong way first before it make the turn you want. Have to stay ahead of it or you're screwed.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:16pm
Although I haven’t had much time to support the local AC events, this could be a great idea for entertainment, maybe even with a cash prize! Don’t know how I would fair out with (2) gravity flow boxes, maybe with practice? I would go for two 18’ foot hay baskets uphill though!

Edited by allisbred - 25 Jan 2021 at 12:18pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:45pm
I had a uncle  that could back a tractor , baler or chopper and wagon and put the right where you wanted it

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:59pm
Seen a few running gears with BENT reach (pipe connecting front/rear frames. How does this happen - backing up a wagon so one of rear tires pushes into a stationary item??

Reach connection bolts can become worn in two, then front/rear frames separate, producing a wreck. Have seen a few gears contain a short tie cable or chain strung around each frame near reach(rear of front frame to forward part of rear frame).
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:48pm
Most likely, turning too sharp. Any time you see the front tires skidding pulling or pushing after hitting turn restrictions (tie rod travel or stops). Can even bend them up with a load going over uneven ground such as ditches in and out of fields. My father upset a gravity flow hitting a ground hog hole, broke front axle, flipped box and pulled a picker apart. That was a 8 ton, a lot of gears used to be made way light years ago for the weight sitting on top, not accounting any obstructions you encounter in the field. Plus you add that we never fastened all 4 corners solid and pushing or pulling could bend the connector tube.

Edited by allisbred - 25 Jan 2021 at 6:50pm
Orangeinwisco View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeinwisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:08pm
Skid steer with trailer receiver hitch attachment. Only way to put the wagons in the barn for the winter. Hurts the neck with the tractors, and takes too long.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic