This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rocks/Stones ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:39pm
well, OK, before anyone else has a chance, I'll say it first...29
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:40pm
wait, now it's thirty
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:40pm
aw nuts! I cant keep up, now its 31
Wait for the Lord;
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:47pm
Interesting topic. I always thought country folks said rocks. Sophisticated well to do people calls them stones. A country boy will pick up a rock to scare somebody. A city slicker will frighten someone with a stone.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:57pm
Up up and away Lou. Pinch
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:01pm
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Almost as bad if not worse than when is a lake a Pond and a Pond a Lake, Dictionary, Pond: Small Lake, Lake: Large pond!!!!
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:38pm
creek or river???
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:43pm
Stream or brook ?? :-)
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

creek or river???

Creek pronounced "creak" or creek pronounced "crick"?
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:54pm
Any flowing body of water is a stream; rivers, creeks, etc. A brook and a branch I believe are the same thing. Creeks and branches generally feed rivers. Smaller rivers feed larger rivers, and so on. These are just my opinions, so don't take them as fact.

Now, how big does a creek have to be before you call it a river, and how big does a pond have to be before you call it a lake? I don't have an answer. I do know you can find rocks in any of them. Or, are they stones?
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 4:44am
A stone you can pick up with one hand. A rock requires two hands or equipment to pick up or move.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:13am
Yeah, but do country boys skip rocks or skip stones?  Or do you need a good skipping stone if your going to skip rocks?Confused

DMiller, first definition of pond follows what a pond is geologically: water flows in, but not out.  A lake, water flows in and out.  A pond can be natural or formed by man.  A pond forms behind a dam, so technically the water flows out at a level, but it flows out the same direction it flowed in from!Smile
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Hummm, twenty-eight replies to a post asking about the difference between rocks and stones..…..That just has to say something about we forum lurkers, I just haven't figured out what
I'd say it has something to do with "rocks in THEIR heads".... LOL

C'mon guys......the difference???  Easy peezee
Just look in the dictionary that was talked about..........
Rock is spelled rock and stone is spelled stone.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 1:03pm
I am a Rock Hound. I've got saws, grinders, polishers, tumblers, even a faceting machine. Yeah I've got rocks in my head. Wacko Wink

Edited by chaskaduo - 13 Feb 2020 at 1:04pm
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 1:43pm
I'm sure if you google the question you will get a scientific answer. But for the most part, I believe a rock is a stone, and a stone is a rock! Size or mineral composition has little to do with it. It's more of a matter of local lingo and how the word is used in context. For example, we say tombstone and bedrock, not the other way around. But mostly, I think it's a matter of personal preference and opinion. For what its worth, here are my opinions on the subject.

1: I tend to think of stones as being round. Hence the phrase; "A rolling stone gathers no moss".

2: A rock can be any shape except round.

3: Gravel is a small rock.

4: Pebble is a small stone

5: A boulder can be either a rock or stone.

6: Rocks and stones can range in size from a golf ball to a basketball.

7: Anything smaller than a golf ball is a gravel or pebble.

8: A boulder must be at least large enough to fill a wheel barrel to be considered a boulder.

9: Rocks and stones larger than basketballs and smaller than wheel barrels I do not have word for. They are simply big rocks and stones.

10: A boulder has no size limit, unless it is as big as a small mountain. Then I don't know what to call it.

These opinions are mine and may be different than your own. As you can see, I put way to much thought into this. Here is one more point I would like to make. In masonry, we say a house has a rock wall or a rock fireplace. Yet, we call this stone work, not rock work - interesting.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:34pm
I've heard rock fireplaces being built of field stone.
Now I'm gonna throw another monkey wrench into the works. What would you call flagstone?
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:47am
patriotic?
Wait for the Lord;
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:07am
The boxer, Roberto Duran was said to have, " Hands of Stone". I would NOT want to climb into the ring with him to find out. I will take him at his word and let it go at that.

In the movie, The Quite Man, Rev. Playfair who warned Sean Thornton that Squire Will Danaher had a tremendous right and a jaw of granite.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:21am
FWIW, most if not all of the words that have been brought up wherein two or more may or may not mean the same thing (yeah, it's weird), the answer is as simple as it is complex.

English.

Too (not to, or two) many words come from more than one language and have been incorporated into one language, much the same as invaders, conquerors, and the conquered alike were eventually forged into one United Kingdom.
Nowhere is this oddity more apparent than it is in New Yorkistan, which was originally the Dutch colony, New Amsterdam, especially with respect to navigable waterways, and riparian rights, since some areas use the Dutch legal meanings and others use the English legal meanings, while still other areas use both in combination to different degrees.
So in the end go with what works and seems to best fit local custom. At least around here it works that way. And like most words in English, no one knows which way you've spelled synonymous words like too-to-two, and they are therefore usage-defined; whichever way you use them, the ear is already programmed (ok the brain but go with it) to translate properly.

Edited by TimCNY - 14 Feb 2020 at 8:23am
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Johnwilson_osf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:47am
Alright....Now it is time for the geologist to get in on this:

From the Glossary of Geology, published by the American Geological Institute

Stone: (a) A general term for rock that is used in construction, either crushed for use as aggregate or cut into shaped blocks as dimension stone or memorials.  (b) One of the larger fragments in a variable matrix of a sedimentary rock; a phenoclast or megaclast.  (c) A stony meterorite.  (d) A cut and polished natural gemstone; a gem or precious stone.  The term is used in correctly for an artificial reproduction of; or a substitute for, a gem.  

Rock: An aggregate of one or more minerals, e.g. granite, shale, marble; or a body of undifferentiated mineral matter, e.g. obsidian, or of solid organic matter, e.g. coal.  (b) Any prominent peak, cliff, or promontory, usually bare, when considered as a mass, e.g. the Rock of Gibralter.  (c) a rocky mass lying at or near the surface of a body of water, or along a jagged coastline, esp. where dangerous to shipping.  (d) A slang term for a gem or diamond.  

Sediment Sizes:

Diameter
                   Boulder
----256 mm
                   Cobble     "GRAVEL"
----64 mm
                   Pebble
----2 mm ------------------------------------
                    Sand      "SAND"
----1/16 mm  -------------------------------
                    Silt
1/256 mm -------        "MUD"
                   Clay
Allis Express: Eastern PA on Rt 80
8050, 8010, 6080, 190, D14, DA 6035, AA 6690, 5650, Gleaner F2
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:52am
Just when it was getting fun. Wink
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:15am
Somebody is always throwing stones or rocks at glass houses...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:47pm
Yes 
Ted J and that would end the glass house and make piles of ruble
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 3:19pm
Long, long ago, when Europeans first encountered the inhabitants of Tahiti, the King of Tahiti was fascinated to learn about how other kings in Europe lived and ruled, and was particularly interested in the fact that they all had thrones. As a means to secure trade agreements with these other nations, the King declared that he would require each nation to supply him with a replica of the thrones they had. One by one, he collected these thrones and stored them above his royal residence.

One day, while the King was sitting on his throne, the roof collapsed under the weight of all these thrones and he was crushed to death in the collapse.

The moral of the story: "He who lives in grass house shouldn't stow thrones."

Sorry, I heard that one in third grade and it's always stuck with me.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 3:56pm
So what have I got rocks,boulders,stones,pebbles? I think some of all.

Edited by Ray54 - 14 Feb 2020 at 4:00pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:46pm
Looks like tuff plowing fields to me, except the fire place.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:18pm
TimCNY  I too remember the story... and am going to use it in my homily / sermon / words of wisdom this weekend. It will fit in with our scripture readings.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 2:09am
Dee Snyder:  "I wanna Rock!"
Geoff Lynn:  "I was turned to stone"...
John Cougar:  "R.O.C.K in the U.S.A"
Steve Perry:  "Stone in love..."
Wally Palmar:  "I wanna... Rock you Up"
Bob Dylan:  "Like a rolling stone"
Joe Strummer:  "Rock the Casbah"
Joe Lynn Turner "Stone Cold... and I thought I knew you so well..."
Sammy Hagar: "There's only one way to rock..."
Micky Doenz "I'm not your Steppin' Stone"
Bob Seger:  "Like a rock"
Alison Krauss:  "I'm tied to the Sinking Stone"
Prince:  "I rock, therefore I am"

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Dee Snyder:  "I wanna Rock!"
Geoff Lynn:  "I was turned to stone"...
John Cougar:  "R.O.C.K in the U.S.A"
Steve Perry:  "Stone in love..."
Wally Palmar:  "I wanna... Rock you Up"
Bob Dylan:  "Like a rolling stone"
Joe Strummer:  "Rock the Casbah"
Joe Lynn Turner "Stone Cold... and I thought I knew you so well..."
Sammy Hagar: "There's only one way to rock..."
Micky Doenz "I'm not your Steppin' Stone"
Bob Seger:  "Like a rock"
Alison Krauss:  "I'm tied to the Sinking Stone"
Prince:  "I rock, therefore I am"

Helix: "Rock You"
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 11:29am
Farming has always been rocky around here. Wink But now that the billionaires have moved in,they put a ripper 3 or 4 foot in the ground and spend another pile of money pushing and picking rock to turn into stone.LOL

We poor folks just disc very carefully as in the walnut orchard. I have never seen a plow around here. Without looking for them I have dug around 2 boulders that with over 3 foot uncovered,Wink  I could not wiggle with a D6 dozer. Which leads me to believe they are bigger than the D6. Have delta with some like the bigger one pictured,if it wiggles another hour it is out of the ground. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic