This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Road Speed Of Combines ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

drove an N5 about 18 miles one day, it went about 35 MPH. was clocked by the vehicle following me. didn't bounce all over like some do at 15-18 MPH. one of my "G" combines would do about 20, and the other did about 15, same tranny in both. the one that was the slowest was squirely on the road. 

I believe you Wink I might of had a MH up to that speed. Broke the hydraulic drive belts and the hydro free wheeled and away I went down the hill. Thank fully It did not tip over when the up hill steering brake garbed. Just bounced a few more times and slowed as I contoured it into the hill.

We moved as many as 4 MH2's down the road. The oldest most hours machine first to set the pace. The hydro's get slower the more warn they are.  They all did a bit over 20 mph. Moved 2 and 3, 50 miles or so at a time, a lot of that on the 4 lane California 101 highway. Then they added a JD 6622, that thing would not do 15 mph.

Over the years drove 6 different MH2's. One was always a little more squirrely going down the road than the rest. Several wanted to bounce the back axle more as they aged. We played with things never got like new. Also tried to keep water in the rear tires. But with repairs and all did run down the road with only one watered sometimes, it mattered.  

Do you guys still run the machines or still have them?

Met a new parts customer from Lancaster with a L2 and C2, so there is more than one Gleaner guy in Socal!
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 11:56am
Yes many of them are still around as parts machines. The guy I worked for has been gone 15 years or so. But his step son is still farming keeping 2 MH2's operational. A few years ago he had 6 total. He may have pulled some parts and sent several for scrape. Have not been to his yard in several years.

I have a 78 sitting here. Last ran in 13 or 14. Loose sprockets on grain pan drive did the grain pan in. I knew things where not good, had thought I had arrangements made for some to cut my crop. It was time to cut nobody was going to do it. So I started on 200 acres, and got it done. I had a about an hours cutting left the last morning. The grain pan was buckling no question it was gone. But it got those last acres done.

Things changed in what was making money here and I need barn space for hay storage and the combine has been sitting outside ever since. The engine is about all that I would call good as it had a AGCO engine kit and rebuilt head in the last 500 hour.

I know of one other 79 MH2 that is still running every year. Also know of 3 sitting in a barn with 2 that could run, but don't know if they have. Heard a roomer about another 60 miles north that was running 3 or 4 years ago. 

Back in the day the JD dealer was the strongest dealer and they had better than 300 95 H's sold over the run of them. Today there could be less than 50 operational combines of all ages and colors in the county. You got me thinking looked at county crop reports 1980 had 150,000 acres of wheat, barley, and safflower in 2020 barley is the only grain crop listed just under 10,000 acres. Which tells you how many combines are needed. 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:45pm
i just tell ya'll what it was, you don't have to believe me, you don't have to agree with me, i don't care. call me stupid?...well it takes one to know one!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:06am
Well, sorry, a careful read of my words and knowledge of my intent would show that I did not call you stupid. I’ve seen lots of smart people do stupid things. I’ve done plenty of stupid things. Driving a combine 35 mph on purpose qualifies as a stupid thing in my book.

I’m going to stick with you are somehow mistaken in your facts.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Yes many of them are still around as parts machines. The guy I worked for has been gone 15 years or so. But his step son is still farming keeping 2 MH2's operational. A few years ago he had 6 total. He may have pulled some parts and sent several for scrape. Have not been to his yard in several years.

I have a 78 sitting here. Last ran in 13 or 14. Loose sprockets on grain pan drive did the grain pan in. I knew things where not good, had thought I had arrangements made for some to cut my crop. It was time to cut nobody was going to do it. So I started on 200 acres, and got it done. I had a about an hours cutting left the last morning. The grain pan was buckling no question it was gone. But it got those last acres done.

Things changed in what was making money here and I need barn space for hay storage and the combine has been sitting outside ever since. The engine is about all that I would call good as it had a AGCO engine kit and rebuilt head in the last 500 hour.

I know of one other 79 MH2 that is still running every year. Also know of 3 sitting in a barn with 2 that could run, but don't know if they have. Heard a roomer about another 60 miles north that was running 3 or 4 years ago. 

Back in the day the JD dealer was the strongest dealer and they had better than 300 95 H's sold over the run of them. Today there could be less than 50 operational combines of all ages and colors in the county. You got me thinking looked at county crop reports 1980 had 150,000 acres of wheat, barley, and safflower in 2020 barley is the only grain crop listed just under 10,000 acres. Which tells you how many combines are needed. 

If you ever need parts I can get them as far as Rio Vista. for anything hillside specific we are parting 2 MH's at the Idaho location.

How much rain do you get down there? If cleaned out, its surprising how well a Gleaner can tolerate sitting outside.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 4:48pm
The rain is all over the spectrum. Eight inches on the low side to 60 on the high end. Twenty is about normal.

Are you going to run the MH you are fixing injectors on or just road it to you farm there. Your going to have a real long day roading over 200 miles as you will not average 20 mph,Wink unless it's all down hill. Maybe pulling the header would help, but we never did. For the moving most had 18 foot headers, one 20 footer.

We never had any breakdowns on the highway, now looking back just lucky maybe. The closest was the 75 MH braking the rear axle pivot tube off a hour after moving into a new field. Rear frame dropped to the ground. Found the 78 already had twice as thick of tubing.  So the next day I drove the 78 MH2 and in the afternoon the drive shaft on the left end of engine broke at the vibration damper plate so it was also dead instantly.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:12am
Ray,

I intend on roading it, I bought a R7 10 miles west of this MH2 and it made the 205 mle journey without too much trouble. Years ago we got a MH2 about 20 miles closer to home and roaded it as well.

The DOT pressure in the area is high so I'd rather play dumb farmer. :)

This MH2 is pretty straight so id like to put it back in the field. cylinder bars are the main thing it needs.

Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:21pm
Dave, at the GOTO in Washington, KS a good many years ago, there was a beautiful MM UDLZ. I spent a lot of time talking with the owner. Asked him what the top speed was and he said 40 MPH. I asked if he had driven it at the speed. He said "once". I asked how it handled. He replied " were you listening, I said once" I got the message. Bob@allisdowneast.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:29pm
UDLZ?  Or UDLX?  I Googled UDLZ and nuttin'.
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:43pm
Sorry, It was a UDLX. Fat fingers
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:09am
No worries Bob, I didn't know anything about them and was just curious!  Those are pretty, um, "interesting"!Wink
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 7:44pm
N5 will run 28 to 32 IF the engine has been worked on! ---I know cuz I bought one and got a speeding ticket from a village I went thru on the way home with it --- 32 in a 25 zone by police radar. --- NOT one of my better days. Former owner did all kinds of stupid chit to it! Also it wasnt much of a machine to combine corn with either. Still sittin at a friends place and I have NO intentions of ever driving that pos again ever! --- You could see it runnin 5 miles away due to the black soot it always put out!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 6:27am
According to the readout in the cab of my 1460 it does 13.7 MPH on the level, less going uphill. Good thing I only have to road it one mile at a time!
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 1:30pm
 My N5 will max at about 26 but way to squirrely for that if there is no head on it. 19 mph does well w/o heads. Since we got the 20 foot head, there are roads/bridges that are to narrow to navigate anyway.  Usually leave a little grain in the hopper and will take the excitement out of the ride.****Not to hi-jack the topic but a twist as it appears I have the knowledgeable audience.  I purchased a R5 with a blown engine and to be moved about 50 miles.  Thought was using a wrecker but they don't like the 15/20 MPH suggestion...I have ideas of my own but want to hear your ideas or experiences.  Thanks...Dale
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:27pm
We towed a JD 95 with the engine removed by attacking a heavy wall pipe to front axle. Out the back holding back axle up pulled with a 2 ton truck. I forget what was loose but steering was wacky so this worked good. But a lot liter than yours is going to be I would guess.

I would think you should remove drive lines from hydro to final drive for that long a trip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic