This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Riding the govners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brbrooks83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riding the govners
    Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 6:57pm
Well took the wd out for the 2nd time this year and got 2nd of 6 in the 3500 and 4 th of 9 in the 4500. I feel like I could do better with it but it rides on the govners for about half track what can I do to to fix this?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 8:31pm
Well, you're gonna have to explain exactly what "ridin the govners" (governor) actually means.
brbrooks83 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brbrooks83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 9:25pm
It hits its rev limiter off the line and stay on them it's like it revs up and then refuels until about half track I have to throttle way down until half track until it gets some load on it then I can open it all the way up.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 9:38pm
your explanation makes no sense.  does it sputter or act like its running out of fuel until its loaded?

"it revs up and then refuels until about half track"  ?????????
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 6:54am
Sounds like she's surging at wide open throttle until it gets a load on it.  I've seen a lot of diesel tractors with a 3000 rpm limit do this.  Few gas antiques as well, but she should run smooth at WOT until the load catches you.  The guys that can really help are going to need more info, what tractor, what rpm, whats under the hood, etc.
AaronSEIA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 7:26am
You just bought this "WD" Puller. I'd suggest you cal the guy you bought it from. He should know what is wrong. He should know what carb it has and the governor set-up. He should know more about the tractor than amyone else. Governor terminology :  hunting.....surging.....galloping.....lazy.......dead.......sticking.....slow responding........etc.
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 8:42am
could be running out of fuel . as horsepower increases so does fuel demand .
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 9:19am
Must be surging like most of the Olivers do.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brbrooks83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 9:33am
Well all the guy I got it from said its a gleane motor and it has had some head work.
I don't think it's running out of fuel cause it getting feed with a electric pump. I don't know what you guys call it but it like its bouncing off of a rev limiter.
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 11:02am
If its like its on a electronic rev limiter . Then it's missing . A rev limiter doesn't fire every cylinder through the firing order to reduce rpms . Depending on the rpm it could be valve float from week valve springs to too hot a plug and spark being blown out. Possibilities without being there may not be just possibilities.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 12:55pm
Here is a video showing engine SURGE when he takes the choke off. Is this what your engine is doing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4y8tHzu4CA
[TUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4y8tHzu4CA[/TUBE]

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 24 Aug 2013 at 12:56pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 3:16pm

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/o4y8tHzu4CA[/TUBE]
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 3:33pm
Great example of a perceived governor problem, when in reality it was a lean/dirty carburator making the governor do weird things.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brbrooks83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 10:00pm
I don't thinks its that kind of problem I am tuning maybe a timing issue but not sure I know it's will ol y pull first gear tried 2nd bu just didn't have much power so maybe I just need to pull it apart and see if has really had head work and check some other things. It would be nice if it was just a dirt carb cause if that's he case when he that fix it will be hard to beat. I wl try to stap my gopro on for the next pull and post a video
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 8:31am
A lean mixture will make the gov. do its job, and without fuel to mix with the extra air it makes it worse. My tractor will surge a little when hooked to a light sled, about 150 foot the load will stop it form surging. most of the time we never hear it surge anless at full throttle under no load then it will plain out in a few seconds. I am turning 2050/2100 rpm's.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brbrooks83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 8:09pm
Anybody on here pull in the east tn area??
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 8:20pm
 I'd start from scratch, do a compression test,  take  a vacuum reading,  It would take some of the guess work out. Also, what do your plugs look like ?
allismanamp View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allismanamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 9:58pm
My WC with a gleaner engine does the same thing if you gun the engine then quickly idle it it lopes and surges until you get it under load but it runs fine wide open with weight behind her
Maybe governer is been tinkered with and screwed up by previous puller?
A lot of cheap pullers take chances and screw around with the governor when they have no clue what they are doing in the first place
I think you would be money ahead buying a stone boat and inviting the guys over for a fun private pull that will save you tons of $$$$$$$
Besides the guys around here I used to try and pull with are running over 100hp in any class and have at least 5,000$ stuck in just the motor so why go through the trouble
Build your own sled and pull to have fun in pulling the one with the most $ and time always wins and j don't have much of ether
~AMP~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic