This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retaining rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollymon68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retaining rings
    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:54am
Ok guys what tool do you use to install those heavy thick retaining rings?
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:18am
Retaining rings on what ?????
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:19am
snap ring pliers --- unless they dont have holes in them---for that kind its a battle and anything goes.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

snap ring pliers --- unless they dont have holes in them---for that kind its a battle and anything goes.

There are snap ring pliers made for nearly any kind of snap ring. There are, of course other ways, like tiny chisels, screwdrivers, etc.
jollymon68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollymon68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:31am
They are to ones without holes that are on the lift arms on my d10. .
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:51am
look for external flat tip ring pliers I got mine from Sears many years ago https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J250G-9-Inch-Horseshoe/dp/B00209ETSS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=flat+snap+ring+pliers&qid=1611079359&sr=8-2

Edited by Dakota Dave - 19 Jan 2021 at 12:06pm
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:28pm
Dave, got mine at Sears too, maybe 30 years ago, still use them to remove the clips on my backhoe pins
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

look for external flat tip ring pliers I got mine from Sears many years ago https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J250G-9-Inch-Horseshoe/dp/B00209ETSS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=flat+snap+ring+pliers&qid=1611079359&sr=8-2

Dave has the correct advice. Back when I first started doing my own repairs, I used chisels, screwdrivers and such; it was difficult. Over my many years I've collected a few snap ring pliers and life became a lot easier. The 4 pairs in the lower RH corner of the main picture are of the type Dave speaks of. Some pliers are compound leverage which makes it easier and some are locking which is a big help as well. Three of those flat tipped pair are the compound type.  My favorite pair is the chrome plated pair which are Craftsman #P4735 and may very well be like the pair Dave has. 

Edited by Brian G. NY - 22 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
fleeter allis fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:57pm
That is a very impressive collection of snap ring pliers in Brian's photo. I used to remove and replace lots of snap rings while rebuilding air conditioning and refrigeration compressors. I have seen them really take off when they slipped off the pliers under tension. I used to always put the end of a big screwdriver inside the snap ring to keep it from getting lost, or even worse, from hurting somebody if it went flying.
I'm a man...and I can change...if I have to... I guess.
'44 B, '46 WF, '49 G, 810GT, 916H, 620
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:03am
The best ones I ever used for that type of snap ring are my Snap-On pair. They have the grips like pictured above but also have a small divot on each side so it grabs the ring better if the ring has a bit of a point on each end.

Edited by Lonn - 22 Jan 2021 at 2:04am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic