This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remembering way back when

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remembering way back when
    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:23am
Guys I was laying in bed about 4:00 am trying to get to sleep and I got to thinking about old girl friends. How many of you guys drove a car with bucket seats and a console? How many of you guys went to the local upholstery shop and had a cushion made that fit between the seats and sat on top of the console? That way your best gal could sit beside you. How many had that cushion made the same color as the rest of the seats? I'm trying to remember which gal was the first to sit on it. Dang if I can remember that. Their all still alive and great grandmas now. Maybe someday I'll remember to ask them.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:35am
Never put one in after an incident with first girlfriend. You see she was trying to move over as we were driving along at highway speed and bumped the gear shift into reverse. Car got a little squirrelly at that point. Never gave it a second thought
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 9:08am

Well,,I never had one throw the tranny in reverse,,,whoa,,,!! almost a disaster right there,,,,LOL
 I always made sure my cars HAD a floor shift whether a standard or an auto,,,that way,,,when going after a hard 1st to second speed shift,,my hand always had a tendency to "slip" off the shifter and ,,,,and,,,wind right in the middle of her le,,,,,errrr,,,never mind,,,but they would most of the time just squeel,,,,,LOLLOL
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:57am
Ever get carried away at the drive-in, in a Corvair?  That was a nice car, baby blue with white interior.  LOTS of memories in that car.  Then there was the 59 Chev Impala rag top.  Had a 6 cylinder auto when I got it.  Had a 427 4 speed when I got rid of it.  I should have never gotten rid of that one!!  Was ALL kinds of room in the front seat with buckets, no console.  I made a box that went in between with padding and carpet on it.  (Hidden things inside)

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:58am
WTH?!?!?!  Why can't we put Youtube videos in here anymore??  What happened to the filmstrip??!!
"Allis-Express"
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:24pm
Youtube censorship??
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 5:34pm
Shows up on my computer!!  Mary Hopkins!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 6:00pm
Had a 8 track player in the car, buckets seats, console. Girlfriend found a 8 track storage box. Fit right in the passenger seat level with the console. Got a nice cushy blanket and everything. Worked really well. I loved that girl and she loved back till..........Somehow, beats the chit out of me how, got left in there and it wasn't hers??

I really liked her and her brothers were really big guys.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Had a 8 track player in the car, buckets seats, console. Girlfriend found a 8 track storage box. Fit right in the passenger seat level with the console. Got a nice cushy blanket and everything. Worked really well. I loved that girl and she loved back till..........Somehow, beats the chit out of me how, got left in there and it wasn't hers??

I really liked her and her brothers were really big guys.

Yeah Fixer,,,I think most all Red Blooded American boys are the same everywhere,,,,WinkWinkClap
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 8:40pm
Always had bench seats...steering wheel wasn't that much in the way..... didn't need the back one....
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 10:13pm

I like these "old Timer" threads ,,,them was the Good Ole  Days,,weren't they,,,,Clap
 Does anybody remember the "ECHO CHAMBER" attachments for your radio or record player,,?? I used to really like that sound and then you wired up a Vibrato unit,,,,Man,,, you be chittin in tall cotton as far as amazing sound effects,,,!!!!ClapClap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:02am
mostly only drove trucks, i did have a '68 Impala coupe for awhile, it had air cond, and none of my trucks did. drove the car on dates when we had to dress up. other wise we tooks the truck...lot of GREAT memories there too! tried a jeep out in the toolies one night...i don't recomend it! we are still a truck family...but do like the burbs and open jeeps too! Fixer...i used to "lose" girl things in my buddies cars, or their parents cars, or the not so buddy cars. sure was fun seeing the aftermaths. condoms were fun to leave in the parents cars! 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:03am
oh...and i still do those things sometimes, great to have a wally world so close, with the cheap items to have fun with!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:31am
I was a 19 year old working at the local pizza joint, middle of March. Boss had left for the night and one of the waitresses brought in some 2 liters of "Purple Passion" and while closing/cleaning up we had a few drinks. At the time it was legal for 19 years olds to drink.

The discussion switched to cars and the one of the waitresses (Dana, and she was CUTE!!) mentioned she had never rode in a convertible. Guess who happened to be driving their dad's '66 Impala convertible because his car was out of commission? Me!! So I offered her a convertible ride in Iowa in the middle of March. 

I, my best friend Jack in the passenger's seat, and Dana sitting on the console went for a drive with the top down. I guess the cop working at 2:30 in the morning thought I had taken a corner a little wide (plus a car with the top down when the outside temp was about 40 might have been suspicious) and pulled me over. Made me get out of the car and started doing the DWI tests. He asked "did you know you took the corner a little wide?" I said "yes, you see Dana is sitting right next to me and if I turned any sharper my elbow would hit her boob and that wouldn't be very gentleman like". He finished his tests and said "you barely passed, put the top up, one of them get in the back seat and get home" Then he said "I have heard a lot of excuses in my time but yours was, by far, the best".

Of course I made Jack get in the back seat as we drove back to the restaurant. Ended up being good friends with Dana and was in her wedding a few years later.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:39am
Lot more room in the cab of a 79 C10 and the front seat of a Honda Civic then looks like there is. Especially when you're young and flexible
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:50am
Guys, I read this post and thoroughly enjoyed dreaming of the "good old days"  Wink  Yes I said the good OLD days.

I think those memories kinda got better with age.  Thumbs Up
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 6:28pm
Never really understood why Mom and Dad let me buy a 77 Trans Am with a 4 speed until one night at the drive in we tried out the back seat. I am not that flexible
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Grayray Grayray wrote:

Youtube censorship??
Nope, has something to do with this site... I'll keep trying!!

Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

I like these "old Timer" threads ,,,them was the Good Ole  Days,,weren't they,,,,Clap
 Does anybody remember the "ECHO CHAMBER" attachments for your radio or record player,,?? I used to really like that sound and then you wired up a Vibrato unit,,,,Man,,, you be chittin in tall cotton as far as amazing sound effects,,,!!!!ClapClap
Still have a stereo that has that on it, but on it it is called 'Reverb'.  WHAT sound!!
I've got a handful of 8-track players that have it yet too.  I JUST bought an 8-track player that also has 'record' on it.  I never knew that they made them!!  Anybody got any empty 8-track tapes??
The OLD record players are making a BIG come back!!  The kids now like the sound so much better than anything they can buy now.  I'm sitting on a few $$$$, as I have quite a few of them!!  I don't really want to sell them though.

Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Fixer...i used to "lose" girl things in my buddies cars, or their parents cars, or the not so buddy cars. sure was fun seeing the aftermaths. condoms were fun to leave in the parents cars! 
OR, ex wives...
"Allis-Express"
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:10am

You're right Ted,,,they were called "reverb" ,,,,don't remember what I was thinkin, tho,,,Wink
  Jeeeeze,,,Ted,,,you closed the door too quick ,,,,,!!  I would sure love to have one for My Ole School 55 Belair,,,,,,,,
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:40pm
1963 Chevrolet Impala SuperSport bucket seats, PowerGlide shift console.  One key worked the ignition, console, glove box, truck, doors.  Ignition switch could be started without a key if left on the "off" position and not the locked position.  My (now) wife made a special cushion for the console.  Also had the built-in "reverb" unit in back seat speaker to give a delay to the radio signal.  Back seat was a firm bench type.....................................................   R. Musgrave 
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:43pm
Above post "truck" should read "trunk"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic