This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding the D14 backhoe/loader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 10:06am
On my D-17 Series I, that rod goes from the choke shaft to a slot in the side shield near your left foot.  I don't have any pics of it.  It doesn't come close to the instrument panel.  Maybe somebody on here has a pic?  I'll look and see what I can find.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 10:14am
Here ya go......

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82903&title=new-to-me-d14-pics-motor-question

In this thread, DSeries4 has a pic of the side shield.  Above the hydraulic line next to the D14 decal to the right is the choke knob.  Hope this helps Joe.

Edited by Ted J - 17 Feb 2016 at 10:15am
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:09pm

OK ,,Ted,,,i see it in the pic,,, this tractor didn't have the side covers when I got it and don't think,,at this point,,that I'll make some for it, so I'll have to fashion some small bolt on brackets for the rod. Thanks for your takin time to look into this for me,,,,,
Dismounted the old wore out front caissons, and cleaned up and primered the front wheels. These look to have been all orange inside and outside,,,,Right,,,????

Edited by desertjoe - 17 Feb 2016 at 5:11pm
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:33pm
ohhhhhhh....an incomplete tractor for sale??? whew! (poke,poke,poke)
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:59pm
Shameless by that scale i don't think i have ever driven a complete tractor. .....

On edit Joe I fixed it so it reads on that scale not sale.... lol

Edited by Dan73 - 17 Feb 2016 at 7:32pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:30pm

HUH,,,,?????? lookin like you gonna have to lead me by the hand,,,,one more time,,,,,,
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 12:12am
hehehehehe...gimme yer hand....i'll lead you!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 10:15am

OK,,,got another one for the D14 Guru's,,,I cleaned up and painted the front wheels on the D14 yesterday and something's got me buggered. It seems the valve stem hole is on the WRONG side of the wheels,,,??? The "smooth" side of the wheels is opposite of the valve stem hole,,,,!!!! OR,,,,do the wheels mount on the tractor with the valve stem to the INSIDE,,,,???

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 10:50am
DJ

It's still too cold for me to vist the 'boys' BUT the wheels go on either way depending on the 'width' or 'track' or 'spread' you want to run the tractor on. That depends on crop spacing. I think there's 2" offset, so 4" overall. So you've got a 50-50 chance of the valve stems being outside as opposed to inside....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
1953CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1953CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 11:39am
The choke rod comes out on the left side panel under gas tank, as your sitting in the seat
1945 AllisCletrac / 1948 "B" / 1953 "CA" / 1955 "WD-45" / 1963 "D-15 Series II"           

"No Air Support without Ground Support"
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 5:34pm

Hey Jay,,,yeah, I had checked the back spacing,,,just seems that the "smooth" side would be on the side the valve hole is,,but no matter,,,I'm gonna put the smooth, pretty side to the outside,,,,,
Hey 1953,,,thanks for that info, Guy,,,,,I appreciate your time and efforts,,,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 10:49pm

Well,,,we reached a big milestone with the D14 Industrial today,,,,,,It moved under it's OWN POWER today,,,,!!!!!!it hadn't moved in 20 something years,,,maybe 30,,,and it moved out pretty as you please,,,,!! Sure am glad I let ole Rick talk me into getting the right clutch disc ( like in lots more expensive),,,THANKS Rick,,,!!! The shuttle clutch worked so smooth in forward and reverse just as slick as owl chit,,,!!!! The push button on the handle kept hanging up,,,so we'll check out it's problems tomorrow...
I thought I was chitin in tall cotton,,,until the engine started to bog down and finally quit,,,,I could smell gas so I pulled the inlet hose from air filter to carb and lots of gasolins ran out,,,Gosh dang chit chicken chit son of a buck,,,!!!! If Mr shebler was close by,,I'd let him know where he could ram this POS carb up into,!!!
what's a man to do,,,???? and I was feelin SO GOOD,,!!!!!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:18am
and I see.....(gasp)...something green in that pic! I gots a tear running down my cheek....I feel...so...
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 5:06am

DANG YOU Shameless,,,,,,,!!!! It's so hard to NOT like you cause of your unmatched compassion for your fellow man,,,,, your unabashed concern for peoples is beyond words for mortal men,,,,,,gosh,,,I'm beginning to believe this chit,,and,,,,and,,,mayhaps even feelin some compassion myself,,,,,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 5:09am

I gots a tear running down my cheek""
   whimper,,,,snif,,,snif,,,whimper,,,,was you feelin bad for that POS carb,,,,,or ole Joe,,,,,??? makes a difference,,,Ya know,,,,,,
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:14pm
Glad to hear of success with the project. Is this one going to be done up as purdy as that D15 LP turned out? That'd be a tough act to follow, but I know you the man to get er done. I hope I can get that feeling of accomplishment with my Allis HD5G track loader some time in the near future. Good luck with it man, and keep pictures coming. Darrel
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 6:30pm

Hey Thanks Darrel,,,,,I'm thinkin you're right in that this one is goin to be more of a "work tractor,,,but I AM goin to paint it up to copy one in a video of an industrial backhoe/loader I saw a long time ago,,I think on Youtube and it was all orange too,,, if I remember right the Guy said his had a "Shawnee" loader, where this one has the Allis hoe and loader,,
Ya know,,,I just can't leave things alone, cause I like for them to look nice as well as run and work well. Fact is,,,a contractor friend of mine is supposed to come over Tuesday morning and brush blast and primer the backhoe and loader for me,,,so things are movin along.
I'm STILL having issues with the dang carb flooding tho,,, so I took it off AGAIN Grrrrr,,!!!! but I did find something odd,,,, the dang floats had collapsed inwards,,,,????Now,,what the hades caused that,,??? I had another carb off the B engine and is the same float,,but it was collapsed the same way,,,!!!!?????? what the hades????? Put em both in some gas and they WILL float,,,, but barely,,,?????
Fixin to call Rick see if he got one,,puzzling,,,for sure
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:07am

"" the dang floats had collapsed inwards,,,,????""
Anybody got an idee on what caused the floats to do this? I got new one coming from Steiner but wanna know why so don't happen with new float,,,????
   These two floats I got WILL float but barely,,, could a guy heat em up and maybe they expand back out,,,,,thought blowin em up,,,?????
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:05am
My floats on the 15 carb were collapsed in.  And the sidewall of the bowl busted out.  I always thought it was rain water filling the bowl and freezing.

Edited by structures - 22 Feb 2016 at 6:05am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:11am

Hey Robert,,Good to hear from you, Guy,,, Well,,that sure might explain the why and I can't figure I didn't notice they were collapsed in like that since I had that dang thing apart so many times. I got a new one coming so, maybe that will cure the flooding.
Are you bout ready to put a spark in your engine,,,,???? I know you getting close,,,
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:28am
Yeah.. I haven't had a chance to post a little short video I shot where I fired it up for second!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:44pm

OK,,,I got 'nother one on the D14,,,,Yesterday before the carb went to floodin so bad,,,I tried the steering and I had to use BOTH hands to turn it,,,after so many tries back and forth,,,it got a little easier to the right but still takes two hands, and can't hardly turn it to the left,,,!!! Now,,bear in mind this tractor sat for several years,and still had bout half of the fluid in reservoir and looked like ATF.
Any suggestions from the group,,???
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:01pm
Blow up the front tires.... There is a chance you got a couple of the lines crossed to the control valve.   I remember reading about that a while back. I would be more concerned that it is a problem with the pump though sounds alot like when I run out of oil in my d15. Not sure if there is a good place to test the pressure in that setup but you need to figure out if the lines to the control valve are correct and then if the pump is working.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:02pm
Oh atf or hydraulic oil both work fine for power steering.

Edited by Dan73 - 23 Feb 2016 at 3:02pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:51pm

Thanks for chiming in Dan,,,The only line I took off was the big suction line from the reservoir, and the other lines were left intact when I removed the whols assy and I sealed up the two openings. It looks to be a BFJ to get the pump off and was hopin for an easier fix or borry'in somebody's magic wand,,,,
You can't even get to the adjustment screw, to see if relief valve is stuck open,,unless I torch cut a chunk out of the right hand main side support,,,,,what to do,,,,what to do,,,????
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:19pm
Joe I know it is really tight around that pump but is there somewhere you could get a line off the output of the pump and t in a pressure gauge? You need to think of the system as two parts the pump and the control valve one has issues the easiest think to test for at is the pump if you can get a pressure gauge on it. I was also just wondering if there could be a blockage to the supply line to the pump. Don't know if there is a strainer in there or not just a thought maybe pull the supply line and see if the oil runs out fast? I really hope it isn't the pump they are really expensive.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:38pm

Well,,,I didn't do CHIT to anything today,,,,it been colder than Blair for the last 3 days it was 31 this morn and I think the high was all the way up to 38,,,,, BUT,,,BUT,,,it gonna be in the hi 60's tomorrow,,,,,!!!
In between the drizzles, I run out to the D14 and took a quick look to see how big a job it gonna be to remove the pump,,,and Like I said,,,it goin to be a BFJ,,,!!!! Much as I HATE to consider it,,,,prolly faster to remove the whole PS reservoir to get to the pump,,,,CHIT ,,CHIT,,,CHIT,,,,
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:48pm
Joe, how does the tractor steer with the engine shut off?  Have you checked to see that the spindles move freely from left to right (jack up the front end).  Start with that.  Might just need a bunch of greasing if it hasn't moved in decades.  Chances are your pump is struggling trying to steer a seized axle.
The reservoir is in the front casting, so no need to remove that.  The pump is only held with 2 bolts below the distributor.  Not bad once you remove the lines.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:05pm
I like the idea of testing it with the front wheels in the air. Best part is you have that built in hydraulic lift.... have to love the loader when you need to do anything to the front wheels.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:45pm

Hey Myron,,,When I had the front end dis-assembled, the spindles were free and turned very easily,,, The left wheel bearing was some tight,,but turned loose when I started the engine and moved the tractor back and forth to test the shuttle clutch. You can't hardle turn the steering wheel with the engine off,,,so it must be pumpin some fluid,when engine is running,but very dang little,,! I could only see one of the bolts holding the pump to front of block,,,,?????
Here is something,,,If I disconnect both tie rods from the center steering arm,,should I be able to move it back and forth by hand,,or will it require lots of prying,,,??? Reason I ask is when I was trying to line up the tie rods to the center arm,,I had to move the arm to get it in "center" and it was very HARD to move to line it up on center,,,????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic