This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

really?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: really?
    Posted: 14 May 2022 at 1:09am
shopping Lowes for 18V nicad and 20V lithium batteries. can get 1- 18V battery for $40. or get 2 for $99. LOL...was gonna go buy some HF batteries and switch the inards around, but they are $46. each. guess i'll go buy alot of single batteries or even a drill for $39. and get a battery and charger with it!!   
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:38am
I have a 19.2 v Craftsman set... Several years back when SEARS was in business, i would buy a new battery every 2 years so i had a 2 year old and NEW.. Replace when they got to 4-5 years.... You could always save $5. by buying a DRILL and CHARGER with battery as compared to just the battery... Now i have 6 DRILLS !!!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:49am
Is all pretty sad, have taken batteries to Batteries Plus and had rebuilt, they can change NiCad cells but not repair Lithium units, so end up buying 18v whatever can get for my DeWalt tools.  Do not really want a box full of useless cannot repair become disposable battery electric tools, way cheaper to buy corded and carry a generator or use extension cords.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:02am
Harbor Freight a year back was cheaper to use coupon and buy drill and battery than just battery alone . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:37am
A regular drill and extension cord would be cheaper and more reliable. Those batteries for "cordless"  tools are always dead when you need them.
  1 battery for $40 and 2 for $99 is marketing for the stupidLOL  I'll bet they get lots of sales for the 2 pack. Wacko
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:49am
I still have a assortment of DeWalt battery feds, will keep them so long as batteries are buildable where when can only get replacements and at a price they will go to scrap and will revert Back to corded.  Those I also have and still use.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 3:32pm
i do have alot of corded tools, but it's sure nice when i'm away from the juice to have working tools! a couple fellows in town gave me their battery tools uncluding chain saws, recarple saw (use that alot), and circular saws. I haven't used any of my corded tools for years!i even bought a battery powered air comptessor from wall world, that thing is really handy! Dewalt batteries are wayyyyyyy outta my price range, but i do have a dewalt slide miter saw that works great so far! guess i'll have some more drills to add to the pile i have so far!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

i do have alot of corded tools, but it's sure nice when i'm away from the juice to have working tools! a couple fellows in town gave me their battery tools uncluding chain saws, recarple saw (use that alot), and circular saws. I haven't used any of my corded tools for years!i even bought a battery powered air comptessor from wall world, that thing is really handy! Dewalt batteries are wayyyyyyy outta my price range, but i do have a dewalt slide miter saw that works great so far! guess i'll have some more drills to add to the pile i have so far!
The BIGGEST battery-eater is a circular/reciprocating saw IMOLOL ! I can NOT imagine the aggravation of a "cordless" air compressor Confused
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 6:06pm
best deal I ever got was from Homerdepot.... 4-5 years ago, drill/impact/charger/2 batts/case for $99CDN, 1st week of december. the 18+ system. so happy, bought TWO more 'kits', year and 2 later...
STILL on the first kit, but using 2nd set of batts as 'backups'.
Also have the 18+ weedwhacker, 1 batt has almost enough juice to do what needs to be done, in one charge.

Yeah not 'professional' or pricey BUT they work very well for me.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 7:11pm
i always take my recip saw camping, can use it to get firewood "out back" of the camper, it's pretty quiet too!
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:21pm
I have a Milwaukee M18 air compressor, I use it for airing up pivot tires, among other things.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:19pm
I have that Milwaukee air compressor in M12. Handiest thing for airing up tires when not near an outlet or setting up the generator. I don't know a plumber who does not have one for gas and water pipe pressure tests
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:59am
Guys at work have air compressor s, table saws and miter saws all battery powered.
I don’t see the stuff lasting long under heavy use. It’s great for punch list work but not for all day every day.
I use the saws all and circular saw quite often and I use my drill and impact daily.
Some guys at work have the Dewalt 60 volt circular saw. I like it but again they don’t last under heavy use.
I’m quickly becoming not a fan of lithium batteries.
They don’t like cold or hot.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 6:09am
re: They don’t like cold or hot.

me neither !!!! So I don't work when it's cold or hot,unless I have too......Wink

NO battery likes hot or cold, nature of the beasts, All ( most ?) battery packs have computers inside to  take care of how  and when recharging can occour.

One problem is that we've been able to get a zillion amps out of 'car ' batteries, all year long, for decades and 'expect' battery powered tools to work the same... THAT ain't possible.

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 6:20am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

One problem is that we've been able to get a zillion amps out of 'car ' batteries, all year long, for decades and 'expect' battery powered tools to work the same... THAT ain't possible.
 That's why I don't waste my money on battery powered tools that are always dead when you need them. Corded or air tools for me. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:30am
I have had the 19.2 volt Craftsman set for close to 20 years.. Use the drill or impact about every day for something.  SAwzall , grinder with cutoff wheel, vacuum, and Circ saw get a little less use... Flashlight with a base is nice...

Gave up on SEARS batteries when they got to be $75.00 each... I can buy aftermarket on Amazon or other that are twice as big for $30. each.... and mine last 4 years each... I  put two on charger for a day and one in the tool... Switching every few days... as long as your USING your tools, they never go dead.

look for a seller that has over 1000 sales and 98% Positive review..

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 May 2022 at 9:35am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 5:37pm
While I have no doubt that battery tools are not for everyone or every purpose, I have to say that I love them Ryobi 18 volt tools, if for nothing else the sheer variety of this line is astounding.  Also they are pretty cheap on the used market.  I just picked up 10 tools for $195, off of a craig's list raid, last week.  Today I got a used trailer, that had some weld breaks in the aluminum floor, and the rail around the trailer was busted up pretty good, too.  In 2 hours, I had the floor patched, and th rail sawed off, all done in off and on pissing showers, outside.  Finally quit, when I got wet!  A cordless drill/driver combo allowed me to get'er done, without worrying about draggin out a cord, fighting with it in tight conditions, and worrying about getting shocked or blowin a breaker...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 12:57am
Just threw a 19.2 Craftsman Recip saw in the trash last night. Was cutting up some branches for the fire ring and on a 2 1/2" thick one the old saw quit and I restarted cutting 41 times. Bought a cheap B & D 20 volt, mainly because I have a battery and I'm about 75 years old. Hope not to use it much.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 5:57am
I was given an Ryobi 18v recip saw (nicad version) and the NEW  Li batts fit ( Ryobi did the SMART thing !!). Works very well  though I removed the silly 'safety' push BS  button so I can easily use with left hand to cut branches juuuuust a weee bit higher than I 'should'.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic