This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R52 reel speed/head height issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 977.3Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R52 reel speed/head height issues
    Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 8:00pm
Working on my '92 R52/320 head with auto reel speed and 3 position header height. First problem is the head won't auto lower, if i drop it down manually it will auto raise, but never go back down on its own. Sensor bars are clean and adjusted properly. Second issue is with reel speed. In auto mode speed is erratic and will speed up or slow down on its own. In manual mode it stays consistent, but if i raise or lower the head the reel almost comes to a stop.

I have a service manual but it keeps referring to the module tester, which isn't much help. Has 2 new batteries and a 180 amp alternator, so no issues with voltage when running. Any ideas where i should start looking?
Jimmy
1982 8050 Powershift
1982 6080
1992 R52 Gleaner
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 8:09pm
20 ft heads have sensing arms on both ends of the header, right ???  They did when they were new anyway. It takes TWO DOWN SIGNALS to make the header lower. It only takes ONE UP SIGNAL for it to raise. My money is on the fact that you've got something keeping one of the sensors from sending a "down" signal.   As far as that auto reel speed thing goes, JUST SHUT IT OFF and set the speed manually.
977.3Ford View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 977.3Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 8:27pm
This is a later head, only has the sensor on the left hand side. The springs and bar are all clean and making good contact. As for the reel speed it wants to stop even on manual speed, when i was finishing wheat it seemed like any raise/lower on the head would make the reel slow down momentarily regardless of auto or manual speed.
Jimmy
1982 8050 Powershift
1982 6080
1992 R52 Gleaner
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 8:38pm
I have always started at header plug in. Make a jumper wire for plug in. Operate jumper wire like switches work. If it works that way, you know if upper parts are working OK and problem is in header.
Have found a lot of broken wires behind switches and where wires bend around corners of header.                       MACK
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 9:32pm
Just thinking here, you mentioned you last cut wheat with the header, did you take the lock up strips off from under header to allow the header to flex
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 10:50pm
HHC plug can be plugged in bass-ackwards !!!!
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:38pm
Their is a jumper wire in the  header harness  that loops to send current to TWO red wires in the combine side from the 3 spring switch.  That is what Doc is talking about.    It will only lower if both red wires are powered.  The blue wire is raise and their is only one blue going back to the module. The #1 issue is the wire(s) will break in the harness where the header pivots and bends the harness under the cab.  Again check for power on BOTH red wires.   the reel speed sounds like a ground issue.   Have you set the AC powered module under the cab ?  The module tester will only tell you if it is good or not.  
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 7:58am
I have the exact same year 52 as you  my reel has done the slow down thig since it was new  three different heads never changed it.  If you find what is causing the issue please post it up here please.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:40pm
I have never saw a automatic reel speed work the way they suppose to. Work but not worth a $$$$.               MACK
Gregor View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:40am
To start when you are messing with this, unhook the driveshaft so your head is not spinning and be careful it it starts to lower.  I had similar last year on my R62 and 520 head with the 3 spring sensor. on the left side.  Guess I've never seen one on the right side.   With the combine machine engaged, and the switch pushed to lower function and released, the automatic system should be active.  Mine would not lower on any setting either but would raise.  I cleaned the springs and the bar.  After testing with a test light, I could push the spring to the lower bar and it would lower, but just resting on it, it would not make a good contact. Again I cleaned the crap out of it and looked good, but only would work for an hour and again not lower.  I got a new switch and problem solved.  Had one a few years ago also where the wire harness rubbed on a pulley and cut the wire.  Pick up some contact cleaner and spray good where it plugs together at the combine. 
977.3Ford View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 977.3Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:38pm
Did some digging through 10 year old posts on the combineforum and have some idea's to look at. Sounds like the reel speed issue is a voltage drop to the coil because the header height and reel speed module share the same fuse/power from the seat interlock module.  Sounds like the solution there is to just run a separate power wire from the console relay to the reel module and might fix it. 

As for the header height i've got some good places to start looking. The plugs are pretty beat up but ive been matching the wire colors when i hook them up so it shouldn't be backwards.
Jimmy
1982 8050 Powershift
1982 6080
1992 R52 Gleaner
977.3Ford View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 977.3Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 8:46pm
Fixed the reel speed issue, was 100% from voltage drop. Put the reel speed module on its own relay and worked great for 45 acres so far.
Jimmy
1982 8050 Powershift
1982 6080
1992 R52 Gleaner
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 10:44pm
Well now I need to look into that because my 62 is a joke on auto speed. Don't have time now of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic