This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QUIT Smoking , 3 years now

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QUIT Smoking , 3 years now
    Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:16pm
Been over 3 years since I quit now - kind of both financial and health related . 
Seems after 40 years of smoking Camel's then going to then small cigar type smokes (20 to pack like cigarettes) went to a pipe for couple years but spent more on lighters than tobacco . 
 Tried that Quit Plan from MAO here in MN and did help some but the free gum and such - well got lozenges from them - and now it seems been using them since i quit .
  Now gotta wean myself from them lozenges as it seems they give one kind of heartburn or upset , so need to hit the bi-carb soda a few times a day and before sleep . 
  Now could be the pot of coffee along with the lozenges that create the problem also . 
Big thing i seem to notice is the weight gain - need to trim some of that as nothing fits any more and buying all new clothes - well might cost more than the savings from not smoking.  Then thinking now with Cigarettes costing $80.00 + a carton would be expensive to start again , them little cigars were only $15.00 a carton if I snuck across the border to WI and brought them back .
 The pipe tobacco ran around $10 a week if I used the cheap junk but now have 5 pipes laying around but all were under $20 units . 
 Still then lozenges only run about $7.00 a week and no problem in falling asleep with one or smell from them . 
  Sure do notice that smoking leaves a odor in the air when someone lights up , and yep still get the urge to try one now and then . Last time I did was with a friend back at High School Reunion - she had some small cigars and shared one of hers while we talked - outside of Legion Hall .   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:48pm
Congrats on the 3 years Coke! I quit about a month before my oldest was born and she's 6 now. I hear you on the cravings. Sometimes I smell a cigarette and I believe I could eat one. Haven't fallen off the wagon yet but sometimes it's hard. I miss snuff more then cigarettes but I've got more money in my pocket and more life to go with it so I'll just stay quit. When my FIL quit was when he decided he needed a new tractor. My MIL told him "if you'd quit you could probably afford it" so that's what he did
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:05pm
Heck, quitting amoking is easy,,,,  a piece of cake............ I've quit thousands of times!

It's the staying quit that is hard...................
I ain't made it there yet.......
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:31pm
I have been off the 'smokeless' kind for 4 years now..don't really miss it
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:01pm
Just read the other day that those Eciggerretts are worse than the real thing for cancer causing issues...
 An Coke, you were pretty thin back in November... You gained some over winter? Springs coming and yard work starts... and what ever else your boys get ye caught into too..

Edited by JC(WI) - 09 Mar 2018 at 8:29pm
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:15pm
Good for you Coke!!   
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:30pm
Yes,,, you are doing a good thing for yourself...and those around you :)    Speaking of weight I never smoked and I have that problem of keeping "healthy" too.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 8:48pm
Good job Coke!  You gotta just bear down and fight the urges.  When I quit I kept reaching for my shirt pocket for about three months.  In 2019 it'll be 30 years since I've had a smoke.  I gained way too much weight, but food tasted sooo much better.  I'm slimmed back down now, but it took a surgery to do it.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 8:53pm
Congrats Coke! been 26 years for me, one morning you'll wake up and you'll realize when
you smell one burning that it stinks and just about makes you sick, then you'll know for sure that you've got it beat! It took me twice to quit, second time was when my Daddy told me that he was dying from smoking and didn't want the same for me. I pray everyone
trying to quit finds the strength to leave them alone. Tyler, them girls need their Daddy, even after they're grown, remember that when you feel the urge!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
bikley View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 8:54pm
I agree with John great job I quit when they hit a dollar a pack but still miss them now and then keep up the good work
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:14pm
Great Job Coke, took my oldest son to the hospital with type A flu tonight. He is a heavy smoker, he had type B last week. If I haven't gotten the 2 mixed up, type A effects the lungs and being a smoker makes it worse. Hoping now he will can them. Now their telling him he has COPD at 43 years old he may have to lug a 02 tank around for the rest of his life

Edited by HD6GTOM - 13 Mar 2018 at 8:23pm
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:27pm
Story told to me by a co-worker:
He had an uncle that was a night security guard at a hospital. The uncle was a 3 pack a day smoker since he was a teen. One evening a surgeon calls him over and shows him a lung he had removed from a patient. The patient had been a life long chain smoker. The surgeon grabbed the lung and squeezed it. This nasty brownish black stuff oozed from it. His uncle never picked up a cigarette again.

Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 10:27pm
don't remember the date I quit, have I had some since? yes! but I can count the amount on either hand yet. problem I have is all my trucks and the burbs all smell like ash trays, and that really is hard to not light up when driving them! I can't afford to have them detailed yet. and the old lady.....oooops....I mean the loving wife still lights up, so I gots to stay away from her too!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:32am

Well,,I remember Sept 20 1987 as my last day with them ceegareetes,,yea,,!! The Company I worked for, sponsored a program, Smoke-enders, that made the difference for me as I had tried many other methods, including hypnosis.
The one thing they did, was you HAD to get a mason quart jar and put your butts in there along with some water in the btm,,and keep lid on tight,,,,,You cannot imagine how ugly thet chit smells like after the 3rd day,,,!!! AND,,,by the 3rd day you can see some black tar lookin stuff startin to climb up the side of the jar. The instructer told us,,,"that is what your lungs look like,,!!"
THAT,,my friends is what done it for me,,,that was last one for me,,!!
AND,,,even better is he said,,,The day you do quit,,,your lungs start to heal and by 6 months, are almost like they were before you started smoking,,,,
I'll admit, IT IS VERY HARD the first 3-6 months, tho,,,
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:51am
Coke I'm extremely pleased you've 'kicked the habit' ! Both my parents died due to smoking ,within 6 months of each other. Mom in a careless smoking fire.It was NOT easy to identify her in the hospital morgue. That was in 86, so 1/2 my life has been without them. So if anyone needs a reason to quit, just ask  yourself how YOUR kids would feel getting the call.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:16am
I quit in 91 after smoking for over 30 years.  I got tired of paying that kind of money, couldn't breathe, and the smell was probably the worst.  Yes, food tasted better but then the weight came.
Back when you're young, keeping weight off is pretty easy, but it gets harder as you age.
I STILL want one every now and then, that part never goes away.  But then I think about having that chain around my neck again,,,,,,,,,,,poof, don't want one.
You scan smell a smoker from a block away because of the smell.  They don't realize how bad it is.  The smell is in EVERYTHING!!  Even the paint inside your house!  YECK!!
CONGRATS Coke, you'll never regret it.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:34am
My grandpa smoked, off and on. Every time he'd quit, he'd gain 15 to 20 pounds. Some times he'd quit for a year or two, sometimes a couple months. Don't think he ever smoked real heavy. When I was a kid, my Dad was a very heavy smoker. Wasn't a real good deal, because we was poor as church mice anyhow. One time, just a couple years after I graduated from high school, he ended up in the hospital. Wasn't a smoking related problem, but somehow it inspired him to quit. He went home from the hospital not even caring if he had another cigarette or not. Now me, on the other hand, I must have had the Good Lord watching out for me. About the time I was sophomore / junior in high school, I decided I was going to smoke cigarettes so I would be "cool". I couldn't have gotten addicted to them stinking damn things if my life would have depended on it. My smoking career was pretty short lived. Tried the same thing with chew. YUCK! Why the hell would I intentionally want to put that teeth browning, God awful smelling, gross crap in my mouth. My hatred for cigarettes got re-confirmed one time when I was a senior in high school. My pickup wasn't the fanciest or most expensive, but I kept that thing so immaculatly clean, that you could have eaten off the floor board on any given day. My Dad, one day (was still a smoker at the time), borrowed it one day, and must have lit a couple up while he was driving it. Next time I opened the door to get in it, and that cigarette stench hit me, I cried like a baby. Darrel
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 3:32pm
Darrel I was like your Dad. I was in the hospital for three in traction for my back and wasn't allowed to smoke in the when I got out I thought why go back to smoking now I did chew snuff for a number of years after that but I threw that out too and have never regretted it.
Tom
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:58pm
Darrel, I'd have said; "Dad, DON'T YOU EVER ask to use my truck again!!!"
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 11:25pm
one year I had to rent a car to go to work in for a week. only cuz my truck wasn't gonna fit in the parking garage where we were sposed to park in. and in the rules and regs of renting the car it said no smoking in the vehicle! when I picked it up, I pulled the ask tray out and it was full of cig butts! I went back in and made sure they saw it and noted it on the rental agreement! otherwise I would have been stuck paying for a detail job!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:00pm
I used tobacco in one form or another for 35 years aND have as much experience quitting as anyone on earth because I quit ever other day. The only way to quit is to quit and the only way to get rehooked is to smok a few. Been 10 years since I quit and cannot stand to be around anyone smoking. But still every now and then it hits me that I could use a smoke, luckily it only lasts a few seconds and it is gone.
Keep it up and stay away from those cheapo stogies!!!!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:12pm
Coke, congratulations on kicking the habit. Don't give in to the urge to light up just one and pretty soon they will smell terrible to you. I quit about 40 years ago but it took a lot of prayer and some determination, today I can't stand to be around anyone smoking. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:18pm
Congratulations to all who managed to overcome that addiction. Actually; addiction of any kind!
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:43pm
Only time I tried was back in grammar school. Nuns caught me and a friend, called my mom, she was surgery supervisor. She didn't yell at us or anything just told us to be at the back door of the hospital after school. Took us into the operating room stood us up on a stool and there was a guy with his chest cut wide open. I can still see the black and brown in his lungs from smoking today.  Neither one of us ever touched another cigarette.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:28pm
Shameless if I can remember next time I get to town I will borrow a can of stuff from Jeff-- that will pretty much eliminate your problem. I think I can mail it to you, might be a couple of weeks before I get in town.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 5:49am
Congrats Coke, been 22 for me now. Started on Lucky Strikes and Camel non filtered, moved to Winstons then Marlboros, tried the fru fru menthol types trying to be Kool, even went to Arango Sportsmen cigars when in a boat so not pitching butts over the side. I went from age 12 to 17 smoking a few a day, as I reached the military that became a pack or two a day(boredom), as a mechanic I expanded to almost 3 a day and then as working foreman was chain smoking up to 5 packs a day.

Got tired of the smell, the film in the truck cab, smelling ash trays and the constant need, threw the last two packs and a partial I had in a trash can have not looked back since.

Will be honest, every morning I would like to have one, in those times of stress I really want one, I just shake that off and continue on. Twenty two years a little weight gain but better off them.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:36pm
It is one thing that it is said to be a good thing to be a quiter!
Congratulations all you who quit smoking and chewing!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:37pm
I see quite a few smokers who are thin. I am not thin. I don' smoke. But I wish I was thin...and I know my heavy body is not good for me either!!!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic