This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question for firearms folks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question for firearms folks
    Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:22pm
looking for ballistic info on two rounds. 
Underwood Ammunition 45-70 government 305Gr. +P Lehigh extreme penetration
and
Grizzly Ammunition 45-70 government 465 Gr Cast performance Lead WLNGC

I have the muzzle velocity and energy for each, but w/o the bullet data, I cannot calculate the trajectory, and I cannot find it published anywhere.
I know that Grizzley especially, is going to drop fast.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:11pm
Lou, I shoot a lot of 45-70s,, I run Winchester 300 grain through my Encore, it drops at least 6 inches at 100 yards,and starts a steady downhill grade on out. Past 300 yards I'm guessing now but I'm thinking 2 or 3 foot maybe more 300 yards and over, my Trapdoor I run the regular old 45-70 government loads with a 405 grain bullet. That one has the trajectory of a football. A lot depends on the humidity and barrel length. If you have the room get a roll of butcher paper and roll out some long targets to put down at 100,200,300 yards,shoot off a bench and let us know what you come up with. I will say this a 45-70 ain't going to shoot like a 22.250 but if that 45-70 freight train round even clips them they are going down
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:18pm
45/70 I had was a decent rifle for big game to 150 yards
Beyond that bullet drop was terrible
Became similar to throwing rocks
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 8:33pm
Guys thanks for the reply. I don't think I would even try a shot beyond, 200 yards. In fact, what I was thinking is to zero at 200, should be maybe 6 inches high at 100, or maybe zero at 150yards. I have several different rounds to experiment with. I don't have a place to shoot effectively, I do have a pistol range on my property, about 30 yards, but nothing to set up a rifle on. I did read one time that if one zero'd at 25-30 yards, it would be on at 200, but would, it seems to me to vary with the round in use, and, as you point out Tom, barrel length. I will eventually get to a range and play with the ones I have. But it would speed things up if I knew the ballistics going in. I'm trying to find the best grouping round with my gun, with the flattest trajectory, w/o excessive speed. I have watched several comparison tests of various rounds on Utube, some of the rounds are way overkill, they would destroy half the deer. I probably will eventually buy a single station Rockchucker and load my own.
I was watching a Utube where an Aussie was shooting 45-70 1,960yards! had his wife spotting for him. I think at that point it would be considered a mortar!
Wait for the Lord;
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 8:46pm
Pull up Billy Dixon's mile long shot, battle of Adobe Walls, 1,530 yards with a Sharps 45-90, it's a hell of a story and his shot ended the battle, I had a 50-140 most accurate rifle I've ever owned but the lock time I just could not get used to, you'd pull the first trigger and just breathe on the second trigger but it seemed like a half hour for that hammer to fall
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 8:49pm
I have a box of 'cowboy' rounds, has the balistics printed on the box: 425Gr FN lead bullet, 1000F/S at the muzzel, zerod at 100yards, down 12 inches at 200, 36 at 300!
also
Horniday LeverElution 250 Gr Monoflex bullet (copper hollow point with a 'rubberyplastic' nose in the hollow to allow use in a tube magazine) This fellow leaves the barrel at 2025f/s, 2276 ftpds of energy, no trajectory available, but I suspect it is flater than the 'cowboy' round. This is, so far, the round I am looking at to hunt White tail with.
Wait for the Lord;
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 9:02pm
Found a website Lou, Ammo2u 45-70.. that one shows the drop on several different rounds
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

Found a website Lou, Ammo2u 45-70.. that one shows the drop on several different rounds
thanks, 
Billy Dixon, I just read the story, not quite a mile, not bad shooting!

Edited by LouSWPA - 26 Jul 2022 at 9:04pm
Wait for the Lord;
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 7:05am
Lou,the Lehigh extreme penetrtors will do just that! I have shot them out of my 450 Bushmaster which shoots faster than your 45/70 . I will look on Underwood ammo's sight for ballistics and share.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 7:09am
Lou,here is a video on what your shooting. https://youtu.be/6t7EPeET3TU
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 10:37am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Lou,here is a video on what your shooting. https://youtu.be/6t7EPeET3TU
Thanks Mark, I found several similar to that. That round would be useful for grizzly, maybe moose, but not very practical for whitetail. Besides unnecessarily destroying meat, the other thing to consider is where that slug goes after passing through the deer. It would be better for the slug to expand and expend as much energy as possible in the target.

Wait for the Lord;
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 3:01pm
 I did read one time that if one zero'd at 25-30 yards, it would be on at 200, but would, it seems to me to vary with the round in use, and, as you point out Tom, barrel length. 

I believe this is for what some call maximum point blank range. There are probably better descriptons elsewhere and of course there are variables as pointed out. But you sight the gun in so that the bullets trajectory doesn't rise or fall much from the path you see through the sights, out to a point of course. 

For store bought ammo I liked federal 300gr semi jacketed HP. I never really settled on a hand load.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:52pm
Lou,I shot a 9 point Buck last fall with this ammunition. Shoots real well out of my 450 Bushmaster. They also load in 45/70.https://fortscottmunitions.com/450-bushmaster-scs-tui-250gr-rifle-ammo-bulk-ammo/ Here is the link for 45/70 although they are out of stock.https://fortscottmunitions.com/categories/ammo/rifle-ammo/45-70-govt.html
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 1:33am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Lou,I shot a 9 point Buck last fall with this ammunition. Shoots real well out of my 450 Bushmaster. They also load in 45/70.https://fortscottmunitions.com/450-bushmaster-scs-tui-250gr-rifle-ammo-bulk-ammo/ Here is the link for 45/70 although they are out of stock.https://fortscottmunitions.com/categories/ammo/rifle-ammo/45-70-govt.html

thanks!
Wait for the Lord;
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 9:02am
I've got a 9 shot .22 revolver that I bought used before shot shells came with plastic cups, and had the riffling reamed out, to shoot Barn Sparrows with, back when most barns had livestock in. I could use it in barns and not damage the barn.
 If anybody could use this, let me know.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic