This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pump
    Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 3:36pm
What would be necessary to run a 450 head running a 390 now.
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 5:08pm
Don't think nothing it should fit right in the Rossa housing ,, what size injector tips are you running , that may make the 450 back up too much pressure, ive went from a 450 to 390 just to run it , but my tips are huge
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 5:19pm
I mean any motor need be done. I know I need bigger lines rods are harden running hx35
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 7:36pm
The pump should fit right on - same drive shaft. Lines will fit too. Be sure the lines from the fuel tank though the filter base (including the fittings) and to the pump are large enough. Be sure your injectors are big enough. 4 X .022 - 4 X .024.

You may or may not have to change the exhaust housing on your turbo depending on what your max boost is. I assume a healthy .450 will increase the boost a fair amount. You don't want to over do it and blow the turbo up. I would say if you are at 55 - 60 lbs. in the intake manifold that would be plenty.

The next issue will be how long the head gasket lasts. I would run it until it blows and then get a copper one or go with seal rings. Seal rings will require machine work on the sleeves.

You said your conn rods were hardened. That's a good thing and a smart choice.

Giver hell.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 05 Aug 2014 at 8:16pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 8:01pm
One more thing:

If you are using Allis Chalmers injector bodies the later bodies (with the rubber o-rings vs. the copper washers on the top)have a larger diameter fuel passage from the line to the nozzle tip. If you don't have those I would find some and change your tips over to them. They make a difference performance wise compared to the older bodies and will be easier on the pump.
200 allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 6:39am
I'm going to delete power director this winter and should anything be done in rear
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 11:04am
Good call on removing the power direct too. Not saying you would have to, but installing a needled spider shaft would be a good idea.

Are you open RPM or limited? if you are open, you may be able to graduate to a bigger turbo with a good DB .450 pump.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 3:38pm
I have the fire rings in stock to drop on the top of the block that requires no machining. Obviously not good enough for a light limited P pump tractor, but very adequate for a Roosa pump/small charger setup. I've built several of these setups using a 450 head, and EDM nozzles. Adding to what ops said, not all the oring top bodies are bigger passages. I have been drilling them out as well.  
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 7:57pm
Ed, I stand corrected. I though all of the o ring type bodies had the larger fuel passage. I learn something every day. Any way to tell without taking them apart and measuring?

I have drilled out the older bodies before. Not a fun job, but not too bad. Until I learned how to do it I broke a couple of drill bits off inside the passage.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 8:28pm
have to take the nozzle out. I'm thinking higher hp injectors are the ones with the .093" hole. I haven't seen any rhyme or reason to it yet. Have a set that originally came from a 301 out of an M2 I think it was, they are the big hole. I bought a set of cores off ebay out of a 7G track loader with a 426, and they are the small ones lol! 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic