This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pulling a B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one54dodgetruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pulling a B
    Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 3:52pm
Lets see some pictures of what works for weight placement on your B's. My Daughter is now 5 so I need to get on the ball and get the tractor ready.  Also pictures of what works well for an adjustable hitch.
Thanks
Andrew
2 WDs
B
B112
D14
D15
7040 pd
Sponsored Links

bigcountry48 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcountry48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 4:11pm
I mounted my weight brackets to the torque tube where the belly weights bolt on. I have a bar run all the way across the bottom to keep from flexing the torque tube, and I figure if it can hold those belly weights itll hold a couple hundred lbs of weight. Don't know about an adjustable hitch I just use my stock hitch. Charlie175 will probably have an opinion on this he pulls a ca and a couple others in this series I think.

Edited by bigcountry48 - 10 Nov 2014 at 2:55pm
1950 B, 1952 pulling wd, and 1954 wd45
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 4:59am
My wife pulls a CA  wf and does very good in the 25 and 3k classes. Weights are carried on the pivot point just ahead of the battery and when needed, on a stinger out front. We are running 16.9 x 24 8plys on wheels I built @ 65# ea without tires. It balances real well and pulls very strong. The B is about a foot shorter and seems to be hard to balance, keep the front end down. We compete with a couple of B's with more hp but they usually end up with their front feet in the air and we cruise on by. Love to post pictures but not smart enough, yet!
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 5:41am
I pull a B in 2500 and 3000. I have 250 lb's of front wheel weight and a few times it has came up in the front. Otherwise you have the engine side mount weights, or a bracket on the side mount. The wishbone has no mounts unless you have a later model with the CA type. 
I have seen a few that has the PTO/hydraulic delete and this cleans up the back for weights.
I pull mine as is and can easily get in the 2500 class.

My CA pulls much better due to gearing.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 7:16am
Kip needs to chip in as they have had good luck with B's

This little sled always gives me fits....

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:30am
I heard a while back that Bs do really great in percentage pulls. There are no percentage pulls close to us East Texas and North Louisiana pullers. I watched a little bit of percentage pulling at the GOTO in Lathrop Mo. Still haven't quite figured out how the math works to determine the winner. Missed seeing the lightest tractors compete. I believe they started pulling in 3500 to 4000 class.
   I got to pull a friends bone stock unweighted IB and it just kept on going like the energizer bunny. I Couldn't believe how well balanced it was without any help.
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 6:45am
Ken,
How'd you do this year with your CA? We did real fine!, just like the "bunny". At our finals in Moses Lake, had a real hard track, the only time we had to put weight on the front, 100 lbs on a stinger, but more blue than anything. They started calling the wife ol' full pull.
It was a good season,
Dan
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 6:06pm
If you have a 2000 pound class locally, that would be the thing to do. I've have a few different B's that I have run in a 2000 pound class and they were always tops in that class. For 2500 pounds a CA will have better gearing and balance. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 5:09pm
I really got snake bit this year at the LA State fair pull with the CA set up just like it was last year where it won both 3500 and 4000. Couldn't get anything right and did no better than 4th in 3500 and 4000 in two attempts Friday and Saturday. Got beat bad by a little old CA on hard as rock 11-2 24s with half the lugs broke off and cord peekin out of the side walls. My 13-6 24 Firestones spun out way short of a decent pull every time. Bigger is not always better on changing track. It was hard as concrete this year.    
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 9:31pm
We have done well with our B at 2500 lbs. using nothing but the engine weights and some barbell weights bolted to the final drives using the mower mounting brackets. Actually our most successful small tractor has been my wide front C with engine weights and loaded rear tires at 3000 lbs. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 7:13am
If you have no B rear wheel weights you can bolt on a pair of reversible B 5 hole wheel centers for rear weights. The B 5 hole wheels fit very nice over the B standard wheel
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 7:09pm
I pulled three different B's and I adjusted my hitch with a long bolt and spacers.

This is a picture of my one B in the 3000 pound class. I had two B wheel weights and one pair of C wheel weights. I cut steel bar stock that fit on the fender rails under the seat. I got at the exact 3000 pounds with gas in the tank. The day this picture I took third with this tractor and pulled my C in the same 3000 class and took first. No added weight in front of the rear tires on the B.

Tractor balance is much more important than having drawbar high and adding weight on the front. I pulled the C at 12 and 13 inches off the ground. I also cut and welded the drawbars to get the hitch point close to 18 inches from the axle center.
I tested my tractors at home so I knew what they would do as far as front lift by building my own track.

This is a better later picture of the B drawbar after it was shortened.

The C drawbar.

Edited by Dick L - 20 Dec 2014 at 7:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic