Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93707
Printed Date: 01 Oct 2024 at 5:04pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: questions about gleaner EIII
Posted By: wjkrostek
Subject: questions about gleaner EIII
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 7:45pm
I'm getting my EIII ready for my oat harvest and found a leaking seal on the right side Reel Lift Cylinder.  I can't find a new cylinder. one part store said they are discontined. I can find a seal kit but can't figure out the best way to get into it. some of you must of repared yours before.

Do you have to cut out the back part at the weld where the hose connects?  I can't figure it out and thought I better ask someone with more experience than I before I screw it up. May never find another one.  Anyone replace theirs with something else and want to share?  Maybe someone can steer me to a parts place that has some or know where I can get a new or used one.   Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: Ryan Renko
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 7:52pm
We had a nice E and sent both rams off to a good hydraulic shop and it was repaired. Something about a hidden snap ring you got to somehow??? Someone else will chime in. Ryan

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 9:05pm
I saw a snap ring through the hole where the hose disconected but was afraid to mess with it.  I hope that's it.  seems like a real pain to do it other wize. Then you must slide it back in held tight like the rings on a engine.   Hope someone will come up with a smart way to get it undone,  Thanks

Posted By: SHAMELESS
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 9:06pm
what size cyl?

Posted By: Skyhighballoon(MO)
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 9:07pm
Bill!  From my EIII Service manual:

Disassembly:

Remove hydraulic fitting from port on cylinder
Use screwdriver through port to remove lock ring from inner end of rod
Pull rod from barrel assembly and remove o-ring, backup-washer and seal from barrel

Assembly:
Use new o-ring, backup washer and seal from repair package.
Install o-ring and backup washer in the inner groove of barrel.   Backup washer is toward outside or rod end of barrel.
Place seal in end of barrel.
Place lock ring into barrel.   Coat rod with oil and install rod into barrel.
Use screwdriver through port to install lock ring on end of rod.
Install cylinder and connect hydraulic lines.

Hope that helps!   Mike

-------------
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers

Posted By: skipwelte
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 10:37pm
Yea, Mikes service manual has it correct.    Youll need an assortment of screwdrivers, try not to scar it up to bad, lotsa lub going back together.  You probably wind up swearing at the engineer who dreampt up that blankity blank snap ring.  Good luck.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 10:37pm
thanks mike it's been a year since we last communicated. I guess it will be every oat season some thing will pop up.   How is that baby must be 2  years old now.  or Has it been 3 years.  I'm getting to old.  
I tried removing the snap ring and I broke it.  Now I have a piece stuck in there that will not let the rod out.  I'll have to get a small piece of wire to fish around and hope to nock it loose.  Always something. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Posted By: Skyhighballoon(MO)
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 11:22pm
Blll - scanned the manual page and mailed it to you.   Matthew is 3 1/2 now.   Got some pics of him riding in the EIII during wheat harvest in July.  I need to post them.  Got those crop lifters I sent you installed?   Mike

-------------
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 11:59pm
thanks mike I got it loose and free.  Order the seals in the morning.
Injoy your children, they grow so fast.  Wasn't he born after I got the gleaner?  Must be going on the 4th harvest this year.  Only the first one was a nightmare.  The oats are still standing but they are only 4 ft high. and not 6. (so far) I quit watering and cut fertilizer by 2/3's. 

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 10:15pm
Just to say I got it back together today.  What a pain getting the ring back on.  It's not very posible tring it the way the directions tell you to.  I Tried for an hour or more before I figured out the right way.  The directions don't tell you this but unless you but the ring on the large grove behind the small grove and them bring it up to the small grove I don't think it can be done following the directions.  Put the snap ring on  the rod  in the large grove thats behind the small one before you put it in the tube and then slide over the oring that's already iinstalled using a lot of lube. then you can use a screw driver to bring the snap ring into its proper grove. Put the seal on last after you have it together as the ring will not pass the seal if it is installed.   It was easy once I figured out the way to do it.  This should help others to do it the easy way.  Thanks to all for your inputs. She is ready to go now. all I need is the grain to dry down. 

Posted By: GM Guy
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 2:27am
for future reference, we are parting A's, C's, C2's, a few A2's, and some F's, and very few, but a small handful of straight E's so many parts interchange.

so if you need anything, feel free to ask and we will try  to help.

we have two yards, one in KS and one in ID, and the ID location isnt staffed most of the time (we are a small family operation) so in the off season, getting something out of the ID yard may take a little time.

good luck with harvest!

-------------
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net