Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66536
Printed Date: 21 Sep 2024 at 8:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Electronic ignition
Posted By: Cowman68
Subject: Electronic ignition
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 10:03am
I have a D-17 pulling tractor and a WD I gonna make a pulling tractor. I would like to know if changing the original ignition to electronic ignition will improve performance .

Replies:
Posted By: mlpankey
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 10:25am
If the reluctor can be phased to ensure no variances between cylinders overall timing then yes

-------------
people if they don't already know it you can't tell them. quote yogi berra

Posted By: Gary in da UP
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 10:37am

Your biggest gain will be a hotter spark. I have had good results with pertronix systems. I also index the spark plugs and modify the outer electrode for a fatter spark open to the piston top. 

Posted By: Butch(OH)
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 10:50am
Depends on what you intend to build or ened up with,
Stock engine at stock RPMS and the assuming the OEM unit is in good condition you will see very little to zero gain on a dyno in my experience. Start adding compression and RPMs there quickly will be gains to be had from going electronic/MSD.  The more pressure there is in the cylinder the harder it is to light. The more RPM you run the more critical timing becomes. 

Posted By: wi50
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 10:54am
I rember dyno testing a John Deere with a couple sets of points and an electronic ignition.  A good quality Napa Echlin set of points made the best power on that gas tractor engine.  Typical good quality points have a COPPER ground strap (hint hint).

I like magnetos myself.

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Posted By: Carl(NWWI)
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 10:31pm
I run pertronix on all of mine. Any tractor I usually work on that's a gas I convert to electronic. They always seem more snappy, hassle free, and more reliable. Mostly a matter if opinion. I've heard ppl say they always like one over the other.

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:56pm
Gary, please give more detail on "indexing" spark plugs. I'm familiar with the concept, but would appreciate your thoughts and advice in the matter. With a WD45 or D17 engine running power craters, where do I want the electrodes positioned? Thank You in advance...KipWink

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:51pm
 We sell quite a few of the E.I.'s to our customer's. They are a nice upgrade, to a stock engine, and adds to the reliability of the machine. Because they are a little more precise with distributing a more even current to the plugs, which equates to faster starting, and also help out an engine with some wear n' tear on it. In most cases, if our customer's installed an E.I. in one of their Tractors, its not to long afterward that they purchase a few more units for their other Tractors.  Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B

Posted By: DonDittmar
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 7:43am
Guy who used to pul with us had a JD A. He took the mag off, coverted to distributor and added an eltronic package. Pulled a few times and put the mag back on. He said the tractor atrted ALOT harder

-------------
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start

Posted By: rob young
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 1:22pm
Kip in Utah, when you index spark plugs you want to mark on the outside of the plug where the open end of the electrode is with a magic marker. You want that mark facing downward, hence the open end toward the top of the piston. Use copper indexing washers to accomplish this.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net