Round baler question (Vermeer vs Deere)

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51706
Printed Date: 24 Sep 2024 at 6:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Round baler question (Vermeer vs Deere)
Posted By: Lonn
Subject: Round baler question (Vermeer vs Deere)
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:31pm
Looking at a Deere 375 round baler and a Vermeer 505I. Are there concernes about each? The Deere looks like it's had less hay run through it. They are both at an upcoming consignment auction. How well do they each feed? Ease of repair? I think the Deere is a 5x4 baler while I believe the Vermeer is a 5x5 but that doesn't matter too much to me. All I have ever run is an old 1500 Gehl which made a good bale for it's time but is well worn out and it's always been a bearing eater since when Dad bought it back in the 70's.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Replies:
Posted By: AaronH
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 10:00pm
I honestly cant say anything bad about Deere balers. What I can tell you is that I have a 605xl Vermeer and it will bale anything. set the air bags for the desired bale tension and away you go. It is built very heavy. The baler weighs 5900 lbs. Do either have net wrap? Mine dont... wish it did. I dont know about the Deere but the pickup speed in this Vermeer is pretty fast. I run my 200 Allis in 7th gear pretty much wide open and it keeps right up.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 5:54am
Both are twine tie. The vermeer has the spider gathering wheels and the Deere has the bars that roll the bale away so you don't have to back up to dump.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: AMB(wcIL)
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:36am
We use to have a 605 J Vermeer, traded it for a JD 535.  Bolth have there good and bads.  I liked the moniter for the vermeer better than the JD, but the JD starts a bale so much easyer.  I was always twisting a belt on the Vermeer, I think I have twisted a belt twice in 12 years on the 535 JD.  I quess the question is witch dealer is closer to you for service?     Andy

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:40am
Vermeer dealer is about 40 miles and the closest Deere dealer is about 30 miles.

-------------
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: allisrutledge
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:56am

we have used vermeer since 1977. Up to this point have had a great dealer, as said iearlier the dealer can make it good or bad. i will akso add if you dont have a twin rake , think about getting one. rake the windroes a little wider than the pickup(As long as the pickup cleans it up) and the bales will be more even and easier to bale. Sorry I cannot say (Buy the green one) !!!! Scott

-------------
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns

Posted By: Russ SCPA
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 6:47pm
Hold your pocketbook,  grit your teeth and consider a CLAAS.   I have had Hesston, New Holland, CASEIH(rebadged NH) and now a CLAAS.  Somethings are just worth it.

Posted By: powertech84
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 8:11pm
I dont know much about the vermeer but ive owned a 375 deere for several years now and its been a great baler. I work around the newer seven and eight series deere balers and they are built like tanks too.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 11:48am
I really like the condition of the Deere at this sale but then again it's green and yellow. LOL 
If I know myself, I'll look at both sell and continue thinking on it for 6 months to a year. As far as Claas I know nothing about them. I'm sure they are good but I don't think I have enough cattle to even justify buying the Deere or Vermeer let alone a Claas. See how I can talk myself out of it after the hay is baled. In a month when I'm off and on the tractor for every bale cause the twine won't cut or the belts get twisted I'll get more serious. This old Gehl can't hold up much longer though.

-------------
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net