Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39895
Printed Date: 01 Oct 2024 at 5:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: massey balers
Posted By: wjkrostek
Subject: massey balers
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 8:07pm
Has anyone out there used the inline massy ferguson balers.  like the MF1835 or the 1837. I'm looking for a baler and these are the ones I have found to be under 102 inches but I have never seen one or used one.  I was wondering how well they work? It sure looks like a good idea and they only need a 40 hp tractor.  i can pull that home on a trailer behind my motor home and keep the truck cops off my butt. Sounds like I'm ready for another trip.

Replies:
Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 10:53pm
I have a Hesston 4600, the original inline baler.  The 1837 is the wider pickup version, also may have a higher strokes per minute.  They are great machines, even if they are painted MF red instead of Autumn Prime.  One downside is the pto shaft uses a very expensive CV joint, like over a thousand bucks expensive.  Keep it well greased and you are fine.  A Hesston 4590 is the same machine and they sell in the $10,000 range used.  I priced a new MF this summer and was told $24,000. 
Have you written of the straw for the winter?

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 11:55pm
I gave up on the straw this week end.  The ground is frozen and it is snowing but I got the straw off by giving it away to a fella who has cows to feed and a round baler.  I cut it and raked it three times and he baled it up and is feeding it to his cows.  It never did get dry. I'm glad it's gone but I lost most of the crop. from the little I got to combine I got 20 tons of oats and some of my customers wanted my straw so bad they bought the so so wet ones at half price.  Never got it disked before it froze.  I'm kind of thinking that the oats where getting more Nitrogen from the crop plowed under last year, After the soil warmed up.  the ground is real fertile, very high in everything except N.  What else can it be that makes thoughts oats grow so tall?   The man that combined my oat the last years used some of my seed and his only got waist high but his is full of weeds and he didn't water much (he said). I hope to get it better next year.  If it lodges next year I'm spraying it with round up and hope it will dry.  this is my 7 year doing this and 1 out of 7 may not be that bad.  But my combine didn't have a chance to prove herself so we will see next year.

What size tractor do you use with your baler? can you do a heavy crop with a 40 hp tractor.  Can I but out more bales than I do with a NH 273?  I kind of need more capacity.  I can't always keep moving with a 273 there is just to much there and my tractor doesn't have a creeper gear and I can sure use the wider pickup.

Posted By: Dale-OH
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:16am
The MF inline baler is the same as the Hesson balers that have been built since early to mid 90's when the 4550 4570 4590 balers where introduced.  We sell several of these a year with almost no problems.

Posted By: james6600
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 11:34am
    I use a NH 273 wire tie with a super sweep pickup a Farmall M will hardly run it in grass mix hay, in heavy alfalfa or oats it will it will give my D17D a work out when the plunger and feeder rake cycle plus it will pop a shear pin every so often from the up and down surging behind the D17D. When I pull it with my Ford 6600 Dual Power creeper trans (70 PTO HP) I hardly ever break a shear pin and drop a 70lb bale every 10 to 15ft. If you don't have a super sweep pickup I under stand you wanting a different baler but with a conventional baler I think the limiting factor is your 40hp tractor, 40 hp will run most balers just not to full capacity, but remember a bigger pickup means more drag on the engine. Also if you drop your hay on the ground you are fine but if you pull a wagon thats another limiting factor because with my 273 I can over load the guys on the wagon when ever I want. As far a the inline balers I have no experience but have always been interested in trying one. James

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 1:14pm
The smallest tractor I've used on my 4600 is about 60 hp (at 5300' altitude) The last few years I've used a Kubota M110, with about 95 pto hp.  I usually double rake two 12' windrows and bale them at about 2-3 mph.  If the hay is dry, the bigger windrows makes better bales.  One needs to remember that I'm in the "great American Desert", and we don't get near the rain or humidty you do in Alaska.  I think a Hesston/MF has a lot more capacity then the 273 so it's mainly a question of how big a windrow you can bale.  If the combine has a 10' cut, I would think most any baler would work fine on it unless you rake two rows together.
As for the way your oats grow, I have to wonder if the soil really needs more N, usually tall growth is a sign of too much N, not too little.  Maybe your extension service has some ideas.
At least you got the straw off the field, the sun should be able to warm the soil enough in the spring that you can get it disked then.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 1:32pm
I have noticed that when I use my jd 5310 to pull the 273 it does a lot better job without the shear pin braking.  the 5310 is a 55 hp and I need that for cutting.  I have alot of little fields scattered all over and the baler and mower are never in the same field and are miles apart so I need to use my ford 941 to run the baler .  With the limited time I have to bale I need a way to speed it up to save some better hay.  I only do about 50 ac of grass hay most fields are less that 10 ac. twice a year on the good years.  What I need is a bigger tractor and a higher cap. baler.  I'd need to double the price of hay to pay for it.  Which is not possible.  I put about 3000 to 4000 bales through the baler every year so I don't do much.  Which is more important the baler or the tractor in your opinion? If you sell them send me an email and let me know your prices. Do you have any used in your area? I need a good one I already have old warn out stuff. but $24000 for a new one is way out there.

Posted By: james6600
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 8:31pm
  This web site might help you some it has at least one inline baler (Hesston 4600) http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/eng3050/ . If you buy an older New Holland do some research because if I remember right some of the early hi capcity (90 stokes per minute) balers had plunger problems, some had aluminum plungers that would fail or something. I read this 10 years ago and dont remember much about it so research it. James

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net