Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38359
Printed Date: 01 Oct 2024 at 5:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: gleaner EIII in Alaska
Posted By: wjkrostek
Subject: gleaner EIII in Alaska
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 10:02pm
I posted some pictures on the YT forum if your interested.  Didn't know how to do it here. 

Replies:
Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 10:04pm
How did it work out?

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 10:15pm
It hasn't yet.  I'm having a hard time but I guess I'm learning.  got about 700 bu of oats so far but thats not 1/4 of it.  I cut the standing to get it, now for the lodged if I can find a way to get it dry.  I cut about 1/3 with a mower and that didn't want to cut either.  And it seems to stay wetter than the stuff that is lodged because at least a part of that is off the ground.  Rained the last two days maybe tomorrow it will be drier.  i need to get to the straw bad and I'm already on borrowed time. 

Posted By: Skyhighballoon(MO)
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 1:00pm
Bill - sorry haven't had a chance to synch up with you on the phone...my schedule has been unbelievably crazy and I was busy at the farm all weekend.  I need to load one or two of the other photos you sent.  The one with mountains in the background is fantastic.  I'm glad you got the EIII working as good as you did.  You had lots to go through on the old girl to get her field ready.  Too bad the lodging is causing you such a problem.  I hope you still get some good weather so you can get some more of it out.  Mike

Here's the pics Bill posted on YT:

-------------
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers

Posted By: clint
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 3:05pm
try cutting higher so you dont send so much material through the machine?

-------------
Our farms stuff: agco gt55, AA 8775, 8765, 6080, 185, 180, 175, 170, d15, d14, d14, wd, wd, wd, g, F3, L3, R62

Posted By: acd21man
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 7:01pm
that stem is makeing it wet, pick the head up

-------------
2 wd 45,2 D-17 diesel/gas 3 pt, 220,d21, 4020,2 4430s used daily http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCudh8Xz9_rZHhUC3YNozupw

Posted By: wheatbreeder
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 7:41pm
Bill from the pictures the straw is still wet you need more drying weather or a good frost to kill the straw  the sample in the bin is clean you just need more time to kill the straw i realize your time is limited perhaps another week take care of that 

-------------
Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD

Posted By: Skyhighballoon(MO)
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 8:21pm
Here's 2 more pics from Bill including the one with the mountains in the background.

FYI - According to Bill, the straw is worth more up in Alaska than the oats are worth - that's why he's trying to run as much straw through the combine as possible so he can bale it afterwards without having to mess with trying to mow it too.  Mike

-------------
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers

Posted By: TREVMAN
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 8:38pm
Do you have lifters on the header? If not, buy 6 of them and install over the guards 10-12 inches apart. You may have to order them from the south. The lifters make a gigantic difference in anything lodged,  in conjunction with the pickup reel, you can shave the ground. When you turn, lift the header or the lifters fold under the table, been there. Google crop lifters, Hope this helps, Trev.

Posted By: wheatbreeder
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 8:46pm
The original version of that very simple and easy to make at home rod iron was welded to a flat strap iron bolted to the guards. the rod iron projected out in front of the knife with a six inch rise over the knife sections no springs etc 

-------------
Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD

Posted By: AllisChalmers37
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 10:13pm
Those are awesome pictures...and the mountains in the background just make it AMAZING.

-------------
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 10:24pm
I realize you are loosing daylight quickly up there but since you still haven't had a hard freeze, it's going to be hard to run it.  Hopefully you will get a freeze without snow.  Keep us posted.  BTW what does a bale of straw sell for there?

-------------

Posted By: TREVMAN
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 10:29pm
The unit I'm talking about is the scandanavian style that is spring steel, has a point on it and can be run right on the ground, they are the best I've ever seen. They are not cheap, but work far better than flat iron or Gatorman style. Even as suggested above will definately work better than nothing, but have a tendency to build up with mud. Good luck, Trev.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 11:25pm
your right but we just can't seem to get that killing frost.  Some years we get it in late aug but may years its Sep this year it's oct and still no killing frost.  we had frost just not cold.  in  week we normally have sticking snow so I'm sort of in  a rush to beat that sticking snow.  Dog mushers  are ringing my phone off the hook.  

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 11:28pm
10 bucks in the field

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 12:06am
I notice Fairbanks didn't get a hard frost until Sept 28th, the new banana belt!

-------------

Posted By: Dean/MN
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 11:19am
Bill, did you manage to get all the crop out. How's the weather there now?

-------------
HD16,917H,185,7050,8030FWA,8050FWA

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 2:10pm
no I never did get it all.  I thought I sent an up date so I could let everyone who was fallowing would know.  But i must of posted it somewhere else.  Any way I did end up with about 500 bales of straw that I sold too wet to store or use in the woods. because it will freeze solid and cant be shaken out. It's possible some of it was good and the dog musher's hand pick through it and took their chances because you cant find straw like mine up here.  It sort of surprised me how loyal some of my customers were.  Some really wet ones I sold at half price for immediate use. We have had some below 0 temps and about a 8 inches of snow.  right before the snow I turned my mower into a rototiller (joke) and try to cut as much as I could.  I know a man with cows and a round baler so after I raked and cut it about 3 times he rolled it up and got about 60 round bales to feed his cows.  by the time that got done  the ground was frozen solid and I couldn't disk it.  So the land lord isn't happy a lot of straw still in the field and not disked. The round bales where so heavy he broke his wagon trying to move them but they where full of oats.  His cows loved it. i did end up with about 20 ton of oats in the bin so it wasn't a total loss.  Had I got all the oats I would of run out of space to but them.  Next year I have a new variety to try (Ceal) next to the Toral oats and will only water to get it started and hope we don't have rainy year. Ceal oats is a short var. and Toral is is a med/long straw but has very good lodging resistance. (the say)  I'm hoping the water trick will shorten them up to say 3 to 4 ft becasue I don't know how long the Ceal will get but I need the tall straw if I can get it.  Thats the product not the oats.   I'll have to clean it up in the spring. For us thats the first of May to the middle of May in some fields.

Posted By: Stan R
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:14pm
I'll trade scenery with you any day! Some day I'm gonna vaca in Alaska.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net