Found some 6 bolt rims for my D17 but..

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20928
Printed Date: 25 Sep 2024 at 4:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Found some 6 bolt rims for my D17 but..
Posted By: ChuckLuedtkeSEWI
Subject: Found some 6 bolt rims for my D17 but..
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 9:42pm
They are 15".   I checked one tonite and it is the right pattern and will work fine.   The rims are approximately 7" wide, and have some old truck tires on them that bulge out another 1 1/2 or so.   With the offset, one way they are tight to the side of the wide front.  If I turn the rim the opposite way, the tire is about 3" away, but is that too far out and will put too much stress on the spindles etc.?  These were a set of implement rims I forgot my dad still had laying around.   I think he has one more set over there that may have a different offset, but I think they are 15" as well.    Was wondering if I get some of the wider 15" front tires like what Miller tire has listed, how tall and how wide are they, like the 7.5L, 9.5L, or 11.5L, and whether they will work or if I should just find a set of 16" rims.   I hate to buy a set of tires and have them all mounted up only to find out that they won't work or they sit down too low and make the tractor's nose dive down.   I will get my loader on and finished before snow flies, I promise!!!

-------------
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221

Replies:
Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 11:54pm
9.5 and 11.0 L like 8 or 10 inch wide rims. I put a set of 11L16 on my MF-135 to float the front end better on 8" or 10 inch wide rims. I moved the loader and the tires to my JD4020 but I found the 11L16 wagon tires were poor at steering in dirt when rotary hoeing. On the 135, alfalfa run over by them stood back up right away. So I put 11.00 -16 4 rib on the 4020 on those wide rims. Raised its front axle about 4". You can look up tire dimensions  on line in the farm tire handbooks, I generally go for the one from Goodyear that I have had on paper and have on this computer.

You may have to select offset. What I did was measure the offset of the original rims on the 135 when mounted with the tires closest to the spindle (and there reversing the tires gets you the intermediate wheel spacings the axle adjustments skip, so its acceptable however the loader makes it tougher) then I looked for wide rims with a different offset to make that spacing to the spindle the same. Probably the original offset on 5.5" rims was 1-1/4" a common offset for implement and tractor front rims, and on the 10" rims that would have been more like the neighorhood of 3-3/4" because by rim definitions, offset is measured from the center of the rim, but we want to know clearance to the spindle because tires rubbing on the spindle don't last and tires almost rubbing on the spindle tend to lock up when the mud in that gap dries.

I claim the larger tires are easier on the spindles because they roll over rutts and plow furrows that would capture the original 6.50 or 7.60 x 16 tires on the 135 or 4020.

Gerald J.

Posted By: Rick
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:02am
 Chuck...I have a pair of 15" 6 bolt rims on the front of my D19 that has 9.50 X 15 8 ply tires on them and they work great. They're also about 3" from the spindle,but hold up real well. I have the three rib tires,but feel that maybe I should have gotten the four rib tires. The implement type tires don't work well in dirt,like Gerald pointed out...or at least I didn't like them. Those rims should look good on your D17 and it won't be nose dived in the front either. Ought to be close to level. As far as being too hard on the spindles with being set further out,you'll be fine. I have 1200 lbs. of weight on the front end of my D19 to hold it down on the hills for logging and have never broken a spindle yet in 20 years. Also,I think common sense plays a big part in knowing whether or not you might be picking up more than you should be with the loader. Just my thoughts.  Rick

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 10:30am
Too bad you're not in Newton Ia. The TSC store is closing and everything is 30 to 50% off. There were plenty of those wheels new on the shelf yet.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posted By: redline
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 11:05am
TSC is closing? That is too bad. Newton has sure had their share of bad breaks lately. They had a nice store there. It ticked me off that they forced the Farm and Home out, but now it looks like Theisens is doing the same to them. Ironic. Theisens did the same in Marshalltown to a TSC. Having a Theisens in Ames is mighty convenient, though. The Big Bear store in Ames wasn't much before Central Tractor took over, and then when Central Tractor went under we had nothing for quite a long time. I haven't been overly impressed with Shoppers Supply in Des Moines, either, but they are handy when we are running to DM for truck parts.

-------------
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 12:51pm
Farm and Home was a true locally owned business. They had 3 stores. Newton, Creston, and the main store in Osceola. Far as I know, Osceola is still going strong. I agree with your thoughts on Shoppers. CT was ok until they got bought out by Quality Farm and Country. I liked Theissen's more than TSC.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posted By: RSponenberg
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:26pm
TSC closing stores well I knew that was coming ( I worked for one ) they waste to much!!! Looking for deals check there dumpster after they close for the day!!!
Just checked out Theisens web site and they dont look much better,I think I will stick with Shoup or Sloans!!!!

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:37pm
Theisens in better than TSC, Shoup, and CT in tools and hardware, not as good in tractor and implement parts. Better in pet foods, boots, clothing, and hunting/fishing. And their popcorn is good.

Gerald J.

Posted By: RSponenberg
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:46pm
Thats the problem Implement parts and Tillage parts here in PA. are hard to find,thats why I went with Shoup or Sloans ( mail order)....But would feel alittle better if I could see it before I buy it!!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net