Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=203088
Printed Date: 30 Sep 2024 at 2:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: D17 stock pulling
Posted By: D17puller
Subject: D17 stock pulling
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 3:43pm
Anybody on here I can chat with about setting up a D17 for stock farm class pulling ?

Replies:
Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2024 at 10:50pm
Start by getting the engine in the best tune it can be. Run a cranking compression test to determine the healthiness of the engine. Compression should be 140-145 psi on a new engine. If 4500 lbs is your goal, you need a narrow front end and all fluid removed from all the tires. I'd probably remove the drawbars Traction Booster spring assembly from underneath and go with a lighter/easily adjusted drawbar. This will require some torch work to keep your brake pedal linkage. Fenders and brackets need to get removed. I have my D-17 antique puller down to 3900 lbs with 14.9 x 38 rear tires.

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 1:05pm
From what I see at pulls the term "stock" Is a joke. It's just another class the ones that can't compete in real pulling have come up with. like may years ago when a bunch couldn't compete in the SuperStock class they came up with the StockTurbo class. Some places have a "antique" class that means only factory issued components and weights along with a 3MPH limit for show tractors  and this helps the guys that are amateur or part time pullers. These classes generally won't allow entries in classes below the tractor's factory shipping weight. This only really works with at least some minimal enforcement, like a compression check to see that engines area reasonably close to factory specifications. Where this has been done I've seen a few feathers ruffled where guys that had a cranking compression of over 200PSI not be allowed in the antique class.  Anything else is a contest of what those that can't play with the big boys can get away with.
  I could see just having 3 divisions: Antique. Non turbo & Single turbo. Many of the places I go have an "open class" which is basically  what the SuperStock class was in the early 70s. Just my point of view.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 1:11pm
I just pulling in the antique class as is
1st time pulling for me ( new hobby for me ) & im not blind to the fact that guys cheat in all classes as have been around stock car racing most of my adult life just looking to have some fun but want to get the D17 down in weight to pull in the 4500 class against my son in law’s IIH model H

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 6:48pm
You don't think stripping a D17 down below its shipping weight to pull in an "antique" class isn't cheating? 

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 6:54pm
Probably no more cheating than some of the other makes that are swapping to high cube engines in the same classes.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 7:08pm
DrAllis
Scott here got my new to me D17 today my 1st ever tractor
We have been chatting
Got some questions
Im in ontario canada
Can you send me your phone number so i can call you have done questions
Thanks

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 8:49pm
Done.