"Around the farm" gun, What's yours?

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Other Topics
Forum Name: Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=202026
Printed Date: 01 Oct 2024 at 6:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Around the farm" gun, What's yours?
Posted By: thendrix
Subject: "Around the farm" gun, What's yours?
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 6:58pm
I'm betting there will be a lot of Ruger 10/22 and other .22s but just curious what you guys tote around for just in case?

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Replies:
Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 7:25pm
Have a Ruger 10/22 in SS, also have a Ruger Mark II pistol 7” barrel as dead on with that as rifle. Otherwise 12ga 3” chamber Winchester auto feed.

Posted By: Kenny L.
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 7:33pm
410 and a 9m

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 8:37pm
Mini 14 at times in the truck.

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Posted By: john2189
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 8:52pm
9MM Browning Hi Power

-------------
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub

Posted By: dp7000
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 9:17pm
Ruger LC9S in my pocket and Ruger 77VR 22-250 with a gold ring Leopold scope and Harris bipod in the truck.

Posted By: AllisFreak MN
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 9:22pm
Savage .22 Magnum

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Posted By: Thad in AR.
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 9:29pm
Marlin 22 mag

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 9:31pm
Dad's Marlin Golden 39a lever action in .22LR. Grandpa's Winchester .22 pump is neat but not as accurate

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:15pm
Guess I'll throw mine in. Remington 870 Express 12GA for opossum and armadillo, Mossberg 500C 20GA for crows, S&W M&P 9mm if I'm in the pickup.

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:34pm
contender with 14 in barrel 223 cal.  or 9mm tauras    i own alot of critter getters and like to swicth ownce a while mostly always have the 9mm on me

Posted By: 200Tom1
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 11:49pm
Marlin 30-06, new 6 shot 22, Remington 12 ga semi auto, etc.

Posted By: Kiwi
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 2:40am
I would not like to mess with you guys you are all packing a bit of heat

-------------
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G

Posted By: only AC orange
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 7:39am
Taurus "Judge", 410 birdshot shells! Loud and deadly!

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 7:58am
I've got a 10/22 'Sporter' that I bought when I was 15, 43 years ago, wow. It gets lots of the chipmunks with birds-hot. Keep an Anschutz model 54M sporter for varmints out the window of the house. Those guns were imported by Savage back in the 70's.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 8:30am

Colt 1911 in 9MM perfect for concealed carry for driver side door and Llama also in  9MM in passenger door,,,,,

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 9:12am
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

Marlin 30-06, new 6 shot 22, Remington 12 ga semi auto, etc.

30-06? Holy crap. Just in case you really need to reach out and touch someone!

Posted By: GSTROM99
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 9:21am
Scoped Ruger American rifle .22LR, for varmints.  Don't "carry" it around, but it's almost always nearby.  There's plenty of more powerful tools here, if needed...

Posted By: Dakota Dave
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 10:25am
AR 15 at the farm.  Nothing once the cows are done calving and go out to summer pasture. at the house a Huglu 12GA.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

AR 15 at the farm.  Nothing once the cows are done calving and go out to summer pasture. at the house a Huglu 12GA.

What brand AR? Got a 1911 I'm not terribly fond of. Thought about swapping to an AR

-------------

Posted By: RP Farms
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 3:40pm
Depends on what I'm doing but my number 1 choice in the saddle is my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk and if on foot, tractor or 4 wheeler my go to is a Spingfield XD in 9 mm.

In the truck lives its own arsenal and I keep a shotgun at the ready for racoons and what not on the porch.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

What brand AR? Got a 1911 I'm not terribly fond of. Thought about swapping to an AR

I have a pair of Rock River Ar’s. I’m very happy with them.
Set up for varmint hunting.

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 4:35pm
Marlin 883? in .22 mag. can't remember if its 882 or 883.  One is stainless, mine was blued, not much of it left, but still can knock a GH in the head out to 150 yds while bush hoggin with the d-14...Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: NEVER green
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2024 at 5:57pm
  Semi auto Mach 17 rifle for little stuff, 308 AR Panther Arms for slightly bigger stuff.

-------------
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 4:00am
I only listed my Truck or general carry on the tractor guns, do have favored others for other duty. An LR308, and a Ruger M77 bolt in .243. Best varmint tappers in my livery. Took out two Black Vultures with the .243 at rough 300 yds.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 6:00am
Yep, plenty more here. For fun, and was still loaded, I removed a couple racoon with my 1858 Army black powder replica revolver.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 6:14am
My deer rifle is a Douglas xxx on a Mauser action in 25-06.
Not a super valuable gun but I wouldn’t sell it at any price.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2024 at 11:41am

WOW, Thad,,,sounds as if you might like the sporterized wildcat cartridges like me and many  many others here, I'm sure!!,,,,!!
  My favorite little wildcat is a .257 Roberts Improved on the long Enfield action ,,3300 FPS and deadly serious out to 400 yards.
  I also have a Browning BAR II Safari in 7 MM magnum with an original Redfield Widefield 4X12 and is the most beautiful gun I've ever acquired. Only been fired 10-15 times altho I now  have to order a new main spring as my son left the bolt pulled back and then put it in the secret place and  has been like that til I did an inventory recently,,Grrrrr,,,,Angry
 The "Meat In The Pot" is my Ruger M77 also in 7MM Magnum, Serves quite well on Deer and Elk WAY,,,,out there,,,!!Clap

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 4:16pm
I have a firearm for assorted uses. After all a Shotgun and a rifle and a country boy can survive!

Posted By: Randy Magnum
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 5:53pm
The kid’s pink keystone cricket for around the buildings, a 16” Faxon with a 1-6 Vortex viper for mid range, and a Savage 110 with a 26” MTU profile Criterion barrel in .280 AI 1-8 twist with a 5-25x Brownell’s MPO for the longer stuff😁

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 10:07pm
AIAX in .338 for the average 'round the farm stuff...

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 10:23pm
Wow Dave! What kind of critters you got around there?

-------------

Posted By: im4racin
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 10:32pm
Apparently dead ones!

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2024 at 10:43pm
I like 17hmr

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2024 at 4:11am

You know,,,I always thought I just had to have one of those .17 HMR when they came out,,,just never could find one that I had enough dollars to buy,,,,,Wink

Dang,,,,! Ole Mr Kamp must be going after some of them rogue elephants hanging down along the bottoms,,,,??  I expect that cannon kills at Both ends,,,,?LOLLOL

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2024 at 6:15am
I have an H&R pre New England single shot on n 22 Hornet that I’m quite fond of.
Now this past year I inherited a Ruger m77 in 22 Hornet. It needs a new optic and a but plate. Fortunately I received it before the stock was shortened.

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2024 at 11:32am

Wow Dave!  What kind of critters you got around there?[QUOTE]

None-  they don't get that close... Wink

[QUOTE=desertjoe]I expect that cannon kills at Both ends,,,,?LOLLOL

17HMR is a sweet little round.  338 has a bit more push, but not bad at all.  Significantly less than a Windrunner... but the shoulder plate is much more pleasant than a Mosin...

Thad-  if a stock is too short, turn that into an opportunity to trim the stock back a little more, and then install an adjustable buttplate and pad system. There's plenty, do a search for Graco for an example.

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2024 at 10:44pm
i have a H&R 410 really like them 410s

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 5:20am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Wow Dave!  What kind of critters you got around there?[QUOTE]

None-  they don't get that close... Wink

[QUOTE=desertjoe]I expect that cannon kills at Both ends,,,,?LOLLOL

17HMR is a sweet little round.  338 has a bit more push, but not bad at all.  Significantly less than a Windrunner... but the shoulder plate is much more pleasant than a Mosin...

Thad-  if a stock is too short, turn that into an opportunity to trim the stock back a little more, and then install an adjustable buttplate and pad system. There's plenty, do a search for Graco for an example.

Dave, they (my brother) were going to shorten the stock for my mother.
She said leave it alone.
It’s still stock length just missing the but plate.
Hoping to find an original Ruger but plate.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 5:22am
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

i have a H&R 410 really like them 410s

I’d like to have one. I do have one in 20 gauge.
A lady at church gave it to me.
Said she wanted it out of her house.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 10:52pm
i would like to have the henery 410 axe

Posted By: ac fleet
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2024 at 8:19am
12 ga.

-------------
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/

Posted By: Clay
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2024 at 4:02pm
12 ga. pumpshot gun, 12 ga. bolt shot gun, .22 H&R seven shot revolver, .22 Mosberg 151M simi-auto rifle .  

Although not a firearm, wrist rocket sling shot. Within 50 feet, it can kill racoon, opossum and armadillio. Not sure of its maximum effective killing distance.  Ball bearings are more accurate than marbles.  Marbles do not fly true.  

Posted By: dr p
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2024 at 10:28pm
Desert eagle mark xlx

Posted By: BuckSkin
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 4:08am
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Dad's Marlin Golden 39a lever action in .22LR. 

That is the sweetest of the sweet.

Many people have owned one for years and never knew that you can use a quarter in that big slotted screw and break it into two parts almost equal in length for easier packing.

Back when I was thirteen-yrs-old, I saved up yard-mowing money - five-bucks a yard - until I finally paid for the one hanging on the wall at Best Deal Discount and brought it home all mine.

A note about the yard mowing --- I lived at the dead-end of a starvation road, four miles out of town = all the yards that people would pay someone to mow were in town; so, I had to bicycle to town, dragging a push-mower beside me as I pedaled along, and somehow managing to not break the gallon glass Pickle Dog jar full of take-your-hide-off Regular Gasoline = don't think I didn't earn that five bucks.

Stupid like, a few years later, never having any money --- if you live in Kentucky you never do --- a fancy high-power Mauser took my eye and I traded my cherished Golden 39A to it --- I have kicked myself ever since.

Years and years and years later, I found one almost like it, same model and very close in date, and brought it home --- but, it just isn't the same and never will be.

A previous owner must have removed the Marlin Buckhorn sight, probably to mount a scope; and then, someone removed the scope and put on a wrong-looking cheap-looking dovetail ramp sight; I keep intending to get a better rear sight and only ever think of it at times like this.

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 4:25am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Browning BAR II Safari in 7 MM magnum with an original Redfield Widefield 4X12 and is the most beautiful gun I've ever acquired. Only been fired 10-15 times altho I now  have to order a new main spring as my son left the bolt pulled back and then put it in the secret place and  has been like that til I did an inventory recently,

I can't imagine leaving a quality firearm spring for a long period in either compressed or totally relaxed state would have any effect on the spring at all.

You have to be careful of old wive's tales about such things.

Think of all the tube magazines and box "clip" magazines that stay loaded and therefore in a compressed state for years and years with no ill effects.

About the only thing that will harm a firearm spring is a citrus soft drink; I had a guy bring me a 1911 Colt, hoping I could fix it, that was in a car console when a bottle of Ski got spilled in and soaked everything inside --- it was in a sad state; the steel was even pitted deeply.

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 4:28am
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

Marlin 30-06

What Model ?  What Year ?

I bet it's sweet.

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 5:21am
Originally posted by BuckSkin BuckSkin wrote:

Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Browning BAR II Safari in 7 MM magnum with an original Redfield Widefield 4X12 and is the most beautiful gun I've ever acquired. Only been fired 10-15 times altho I now  have to order a new main spring as my son left the bolt pulled back and then put it in the secret place and  has been like that til I did an inventory recently,

I can't imagine leaving a quality firearm spring for a long period in either compressed or totally relaxed state would have any effect on the spring at all.

You have to be careful of old wive's tales about such things.

Think of all the tube magazines and box "clip" magazines that stay loaded and therefore in a compressed state for years and years with no ill effects.

About the only thing that will harm a firearm spring is a citrus soft drink; I had a guy bring me a 1911 Colt, hoping I could fix it, that was in a car console when a bottle of Ski got spilled in and soaked everything inside --- it was in a sad state; the steel was even pitted deeply.

NOT an old wifes tale, buckskin, I never insinuated it was such! I was merely posting the opinion of a long time gunsmith,,,and he has the proof. Have a nice day,,,,,

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net