Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=201669
Printed Date: 23 Sep 2024 at 2:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sickle mower options for CA
Posted By: littlemarv
Subject: Sickle mower options for CA
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 8:34pm
I am looking into getting a sickle mower for my CA. I can't seem to find a whole lot of info about them. I'm assuming there was a mid mount one, and a snap coupler one? I can certainly see the advantage of the mid mount one for ease of viewing. But I'm leaning toward a snap coupler one for ease of mounting/dismounting. Plus, i need to load it onto a trailer, and i wonder if a belly mount one would interfere when loading/unloading. Anyone know the sizes and model numbers that fit a CA?

-------------
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H

Replies:
Posted By: im4racin
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2024 at 10:18pm
Snap coupler no 7 for twin wheel drive and I have used I think it’s a no 3 semi mounted pitman stick on mine. No real issues that I remember just moved to 82t on bigger tractors 

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 6:44am
as mentioned the #7 is a Snap couple rear mounted mower. The #7 requires a heel spring assembly which the CA mounting parts are hard to find. The later version 80R is much easier to find all of the CA mounting parts as the D10/12 & CA all use the same unique pieces. The 80R has a base mount that goes in place of the drawbar bail, then the mower mounts to that. 
  For side mounts the #5 is a pitman mower and doesn't have much ground clearance.  My favorite mower that I've ever had on a CA is the 80S this is ideal for a CA as it mounts the mower head a little closer to the tractor and is out front where you can watch it.
   I once had an 82S with the CA, D10/12 mounts and hated it. As the mounts are primarily designed for larger tractors, the twin-wheel head is positioned quite far front the tractor and a CA is not a big enough tractor to counter all that weight hung so far out to the side. Also the complete mower as Allis designed it hangs on the two 5/8" bolt holes on the bell housing and can easily rip out the threads of these two holes. I got this 80S from a fellow that had brought it new mounted on a D12 and that is just why he considered it scrap iron. I made extra brackets that also tied the mounting frame to the two cultivator holes in the torque tube and the two out in front of the grill. This helped the weak mount, but the balance of all that weight hung so far out to the right made the little CA unsafe on even the slightest slope. 

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: littlemarv
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 8:58am
I found an 80R, but it is 7' and came off a WD. So did they make different 80Rs, with different bar lengths and snap coupler dimensions? I would think a CA would be better suited to a 5 or 6' bar?

-------------
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H

Posted By: Gary Burnett
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 5:32pm
If you want easy to hook up and unhook get a trailer type like an 82T,used one for years to cut hay until I got a New Holland 456 trailer mower

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 9:23pm
I run a 6 ft side sickle on a B at half throttle.. Dont take any HP to run a sickle... I would think a 7 ft on the CA would work it you have a good buy on one.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: Gary Burnett
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 7:44am
We mowed for 10 years with a No.7T hooked behind a CA,supposed to be one the first AC sold.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net