Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=199827
Printed Date: 23 Sep 2024 at 11:28pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 7040 Differetial Rebuild
Posted By: Gleaner52
Subject: 7040 Differetial Rebuild
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 7:35pm
Got the 7040 split today and started the process of disassembling the rear end. Almost every tooth on the ring gear has a piece broken out of it. Pinion and spider gears look fine. I am going to replace the ring and pinion and thoroughly inspect everything else. Other option was to swap entire rear with a salvage unit but repairing what I have is cheaper and I will know what I have.

Replies:
Posted By: Lynn Marshall
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 10:24pm

Posted By: MrSnerdly
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 11:52am
That has to be unusual.  I have never seen a ring gear fail, always the pinion.  Makes sense when you figure how many more times the pinion teeth make contact compared to the ring gear.

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 11:15pm
Wouldn't it take a bad bearing or two letting things run out of place to break teeth like that?

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 3:29am
Can't see everything, but I think there was a heat treat problem with the ring gear. There's one tooth that looks terrible with good looking teeth on each side of it. That's a manufacturing flaw.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 7:38am
Hmmm, ought to be able get repaired under warranty then huh?

Posted By: tbran
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:10am
Yup, just call AC in Milwaukee and ask for the warranty dept  :-) 

-------------
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Can't see everything, but I think there was a heat treat problem with the ring gear. There's one tooth that looks terrible with good looking teeth on each side of it. That's a manufacturing flaw.

Seems unlikely, would have failed long before now if that were the case.

Posted By: NEVER green
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 2:09pm
  Looks to me like they got the heat treatment on the pinion gear correct, its hardly touched considering what it was up against.

Its not oil, heat treatment.

-------------
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       

Posted By: I M Fedup
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 2:28pm
Anything you can share on the maintenance history of the tractor? As in any repairs involving major tear down of the rear end to where the ring and pinion adjustments may have been worked on? Maybe even before you owned it? I'm surprised at what appears to be so much wear on the faces of the teeth. Maybe it's just my poor eyesight mixed with photo blur, but that seems unusual to me. Any photos of the pinon teeth?

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 3:58pm
As I said, I cannot see everything BUT there is clearly one tooth on that ring gear that looks terrible and the teeth on each side of it look pretty decent. Explain that with something other than lack of heat treat/harness issues.

Posted By: AC720Man
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 5:09pm
Wow that’s a lot of damage. Where did all that debris go?

-------------
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 5:54pm

As I said, I cannot see everything BUT there is clearly one tooth on that ring gear that looks terrible and the teeth on each side of it look pretty decent. Explain that with something other than lack of heat treat/harness issues.

Every tooth has a piece out of it, worse chips were most likely caused by debris being carried around the teeth.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Wow that’s a lot of damage. Where did all that debris go?

The prices were in the bottom of the housing.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Gleaner52 Gleaner52 wrote:

Every tooth has a piece out of it, worse chips were most likely caused by debris being carried around the teeth.

There are also teeth broken on the final drive ring gear.

Posted By: MrSnerdly
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 6:40pm
I imagine you will be getting salvage parts rather than new.  New would be very expensive, I would think, especially considering you need a final drive ring gear in addition to the R&P.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by MrSnerdly MrSnerdly wrote:

I imagine you will be getting salvage parts rather than new.  New would be very expensive, I would think, especially considering you need a final drive ring gear in addition to the R&P.

Yes, I will be getting used parts with the exception of needed bearings.

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 5:53am
Just an observation- and my opinion- was everything set up inline with the whole pinion and ring gear to engage ? Seems about 3/8, inch was doing all the work, maybe I missed a post 

Posted By: Les Kerf
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 7:30am

That was my first impression; too hard.

Posted By: Lynn Marshall
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 9:15am
Those rear end assemblies are usually bullet proof. However, occasionally, stuff happens. This is an 8030 differential carrier that I was into several years back. It needed the carrier and spider gears, but the ring and pinion were good. One hell of a mess to clean up the oil contamination. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net