Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=199693
Printed Date: 24 Sep 2024 at 1:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 8050 and 6 row JD vacuum planter
Posted By: 977.3Ford
Subject: 8050 and 6 row JD vacuum planter
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 5:58pm
Bought a 6 row Deere 7300(3pt version of 7200) yesterday and looking to clean up some of the existing hydraulic lines as its a mess. No clue what it was previously ran on but they have it set-up with a  flow control valve on the inlet side of the motor, and on the outlet side there is a very large cooler with 2 electric fans. A few years back i added the remote flow control handles under the seat of my 8050 so i should be able to adjust flow from the cab as needed. Is there any reason to keep the flow valve or hydraulic cooler on the planter?

-------------
Jimmy
1982 8050 Powershift
1982 6080
1992 R52 Gleaner

Replies:
Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:40pm
I’d leave the cooler, what could it hurt? If you think you have adequate control then eliminate the valve I guess. I’d open wide, and see what you can do with the tractor. But that’s me, both time and money are precious! You will love the job the planter does if you get it going correctly.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I’d leave the cooler, what could it hurt? If you think you have adequate control then eliminate the valve I guess. I’d open wide, and see what you can do with the tractor. But that’s me, both time and money are precious! You will love the job the planter does if you get it going correctly.

The control valve is fine, just wasn't sure if its needed or not. The cooler is a mess though. The brackets they made for it are pretty crude and in the way of how i'd like to re-route the fertilizer systems. Also looks like either the cooler or the lines around it are leaking, they used an excessive amount of fittings to plumb this thing into the return line, including 2 quick connects so i guess it can be bypassed if it failed. Except that the quick connects don't match. Ermm Looks like they put it on in a rush with whatever parts they had laying around.

IF the tractor needs a cooler on the planter i'll remount this one or get a smaller one and clean the lines up, otherwise it'd be nice to get it out of the way.

And i'm excited to try this out. I wanted a White 6000, but i was able to snag this at auction for $4k. Has Precision meters, seed firmers, Yetter floating row cleaners, and Martin spiked closing wheels. Its an oddball being a 3pt planter on a Yetter caddy cart but  should make a nice until i'm ready to go to a splitter or 12 row.

-------------
Jimmy
1982 8050 Powershift
1982 6080
1992 R52 Gleaner

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 12:42pm
I understand you better now.

I’ve only got 1 year experience on a vacuum planter, but te population and spacing was perfect!

I guess what you could do is hook it up to your tractor. Either open that valve wide or bypass it if easy to do so, and try it. See how sensitive and how much control you have by using what’s on the tractor. There’s recommended vacuum in the book for a variety of seed, but it’s pretty forgiving really. As I recall, 8-10 inches works pretty good.

Posted By: 8070nc
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 1:09pm
If it was mine id try opening the meter on the planter wide open. Set the tractor to about 5 inches. Fill the plates with seed and the vacuum will go up. Adjust the tractor to a little above the recomended vacuum. The you can fine tune with the meter on the planter

-------------
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor

Posted By: Dkienzle
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 8:50pm
I wonder if they were running a PTO pump to run the vac motor, hence a cooler, is there any hyd resivror on the planter? I doubt you would need the cooler, a 8050 should run it fine without it. Like mentioned just run the needle valve on the planter wide open an control with the tractor. If it has precision esets in it you can run the vac up around 18-22 inches of water and should plant very well.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Dkienzle Dkienzle wrote:

I wonder if they were running a PTO pump to run the vac motor, hence a cooler, is there any hyd resivror on the planter? I doubt you would need the cooler, a 8050 should run it fine without it. Like mentioned just run the needle valve on the planter wide open an control with the tractor. If it has precision esets in it you can run the vac up around 18-22 inches of water and should plant very well.

Thats what i thought as well but no sign of a reservoir on it. The only thing i've found is in the binder the previous owner sent with the planter is a bunch of old manuals and literature for the planter and attachments, and one is for a hydraulic fertilizer pump. It's possible somebody was running fertilizer pumps and the blower and had cooling issues, or it could've had a PTO pump. Currently has electric pumps for fertilizer.

With being a single vac motor do i need to worry about running a case drain or will it be fine to run it back through the remote?

-------------
Jimmy
1982 8050 Powershift
1982 6080
1992 R52 Gleaner

Posted By: Dkienzle
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 8:17am
It would be better to run it through a zero pressure return, be sure when you shut the fan off, put the lever in float and let the vac fan coast to a stop, not an abrupt stop or you can shear the fan motor shaft. Looks like you got a heck of deal on that planter with all those upgrades, it should plant really nice.

Posted By: 1963D17
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 7:28am
I would keep the cooler. I went from a 7000 to a 7200 a couple years ago. I pull it with a 4020 and that oil gets plenty warm. I plan on adding a cooler. Putting it in float is a must as stated. john Deere makes a T shaped rubber insert to put in the lever slot. You cut it to length so you can't put it into the off position. Make sure it also has the open return tip. With that tip you can't accidentally hook the hoses up wrong and blow the pump by running it backwards. I would also look at e-set meters. Set the vacuum at 20 and go. One thing with that screaming fan. My wife says she can hear where I am planting.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net