Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=198586
Printed Date: 24 Sep 2024 at 1:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Antifreeze in oil wd
Posted By: dr p
Subject: Antifreeze in oil wd
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 6:21am
There is a wd for sale down the street. Runs fine no obvious oil leek at the head gasket but there antifreeze in the oil. Cracked block, right? RUN FOREST RUN

Replies:
Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 6:29am
Or a freeze plug pushed up or rotten on top of the cylinder head.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 6:29am
Could just be sleeve O rings. To me the real test would be drop the pan and pressure test coolant system and look for leaks

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 6:46am
No reason to fear it, there's plenty of non-drastic reasons.

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 7:08am
When I was a kid, I remember draining the radiators and blocks of the tractors every night in cold weather and refilling them every morning with tap water. I know that contributed to a lot of rust (and corrosion) in the whole cooling system, since I have rebuilt a couple of those engines in the last few years.

The thinnest component in the cooling system is the frost plugs. The first place I would look would be the core plugs in the head. I keep core plugs on hand for the B, C and CA's because the seem to be more prone to it.

To answer your question, keep in mind that the tractor definitely has some problems and will need some work. Expect the worst-case scenario, when negotiating,

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 7:48am
Normally if a block CRACKS, it is the wall to the OUTSIDE and you see antifreeze leaking on the ground... Like the rest, i would assume it is freeze plugs in the head, or o-ring on the liners.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: captaindana
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 7:10pm
C’mon drp you can use a project this winter right??

-------------
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 8:09pm
Probably me being more of a cow guy than a wrench head but if it were the frost plugs wouldn't the antifreeze foul the plugs? Tractor runs ok

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 8:12pm
most of those wrench heads like to eat cow

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 8:45pm
I had a couple tonight that seem to be headed toward somebody's dinner plate. Just about to turn out the light and someone decided to break a water bowl. Turned maybe a hot meal for dinner into a bowl of captain crunch. I have no patience for cow shenanigans with beef prices so high

Posted By: captaindana
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:11am
dr p in my previous life after Cornell vet school I ran 250 head 110 reg holstein milk cows double 7 parlor 550 acres and raised a family and worked myself almost to death for 23 years. My next life of 23 years were in Learjet’s Citation jets and Beech jets as well as Flight Instructor for over 50 completed FAA certificates of some kind. All I can say from experience is if one has 1 cow that’s a possible head ache. If one has 20 cows that’s a possible 20 head aches. And on and on. Don’t miss the cows!

-------------
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:51am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Probably me being more of a cow guy than a wrench head but if it were the frost plugs wouldn't the antifreeze foul the plugs? Tractor runs ok

The core plugs in the head do not go into the combustion chamber, so antifreeze or oil would not foul spark plugs.

In addition to the other scenarios mentioned, I have also seen a sleeve that deteriorated to the point where the sleeve developed a small hole that lead to coolant in the oil. 

On another note, I don't miss the days of broken or stuck water bowls, flooded gutters and all the other not so good things, but it sure brings back memories!

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 8:13am
 but if it were the frost plugs wouldn't the antifreeze foul the plugs? Tractor runs ok

the "frost plugs" or "freeze plugs" are sheetmtal discs that plug the sand casting holes in the head.. Seal the water jacket from leaking into the area Above the head by the rocker arm.. From there the antifreeze runs down into the crank case with the oil from the valves/ rocker arms.... Has nothing to do with the spark plugs............... now if it was a Head Gasket and leaked into the combustion chamber on top of the pistons... YES, that could foul a spark plug.

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 8:41pm
Boy captain i am the opposite side of the same coin. Cornell grad high end dental practice lingerie model girlfriend ... and totally miserable. Woke up one morning 30 years ago walked away from it all. Now got a family practice in a little cow town and the smallest herd of cows the coop picks up( mostly because i helped get the coops director's kid in dental school). Few things i enjoy more then finishing milking and just sitting in the barn listening to the cows chew the hay. Probably would just have a tractor and the t**d hearse but can't find anyone interested in doing custom work. Did keep the model though.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 6:47am
And thanks for the picture steve. Ask me Wednesday

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 9:38am
Go for it Joe! If the engine runs good, it's somethin' dumb that can be fixed.... Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net