Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=198052
Printed Date: 25 Sep 2024 at 5:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 7060 oil leak near turbo
Posted By: Ben (MI)
Subject: 7060 oil leak near turbo
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 7:08am
This morning I found that oil or maybe fuel had been leaking on the right side frame rail of the 7060. It appears to be coming from a bolt that connects exhaust pieces together near the turbo. It is not coming from above. What is going on here, please? Thank you.

I'm sorry the picture is huge, I tried to size it before upload but no luck.

I forgot to mention, the tractor idled for a few hours last night so I could have the lights on for harvest. I've done this many times in the past with no issues.

-------------
Part time farming with a 1980 7060 and 1984 F3 hydro.

Replies:
Posted By: RedHeeler79
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 7:33am
Many diesels will “slobber” when idled for prolonged periods. Especially when they have high hours or miles… it’s normal, really. It will show up at exhaust manifold joints, turbo clamps, etc. it looks like theres a trail leading to that bolt that it’s dripping off of, but we can’t see the origin. Try bumping your engine speed up to 1000 rpm or so, next time you idle for an extended period, and see if it improves. Does the engine have much blowby? … if it originated on the cold side of the turbo, you may have more to worry about…

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 7:47am
May be your turbo oil feed or drain tube are starting to leak and running back to that bolt and collecting there. Check closer, or post a pic of the whole area, it looks to me like it started farther forward and ran back.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 8:02am
I will get another picture in a bit. The top end of the engine was rebuilt about 300 hours ago.

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:03am
Red,

The breather tube is basically dry. I always set the idle at 1100 per the engine guy that did the rebuild. I see where it could be coming from farther forward, I suppose the oil does weird stuff when it's hot. I will monitor it today when using it to pull wagons and see what happens.

I'm only a fair mechanic at best, is this safe to run without concern for further damage if the leak continues, please?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on what's happening. Thanks.

-------------

Posted By: CW2 Ryno
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:15am
Have you noticed any oil consumption? Was break in oil utilized post overhaul?     Was the turbo rebuilt or replaced?    It doesn’t appear to be soot residue from condensation.   I’d clean the area well and blow it dry with compressed air and monitor further.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:15am
Well, looks pretty dry around the turbo… does appear that exhaust is leaking around turbo mounting flange gasket… on left side in picture. maybe the slobber was coming from same place and running down from there. When a big engine like that idles, and cools down from normal operating temperature, sometimes they slobber. Heat and cylinder pressure, boost, etc will facilitate better ring sealing while the engine is working hard. I would check that turbo gasket and mounting hardware, repair as needed. Make sure your thermostat isn’t stuck open, allowing lower than normal coolant temps, and bump your rpms up when idling. Wouldn’t worry much about it unless you’re starting to use more oil. Did you have the pump and injectors freshened up at time of overhaul?

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:26am
I will have the mechanic check that out next time he's here. The pump and injectors were gone through at the time of the rebuild. I really appreciate your time and help. Thank you so much!

Edit to add: I will monitor the water temp to see if it runs differently than expected. I'm going with the slobber theory! Thanks again.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:28am
Have a good weekend!

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:29am
You as well! The help I have received here over the years is absolutely priceless.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 9:59am
I agree! Obviously everyone here loves Allis equipment, so we come here for that reason… but it’s the friendly and helpful people on here that make this forum really stand out from the rest!

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 8:49pm
I see I didn't answer Ryno's questions for some reason, I claim senility on my part. Break in oil was used, I had the turbo replaced probably 5-6 years ago, and post break in period oil consumption has been nearly zero. I have cleaned up the area and am keeping an eye on it. It's clean after today's activity which didn't include lengthy idling like yesterday when the problem appeared. Thank you!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net