Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=197746
Printed Date: 24 Sep 2024 at 9:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Before putting the 190xt back together
Posted By: A&Sfarms
Subject: Before putting the 190xt back together
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 8:20am
Recently sent the engine out of my series I 190xtd for a complete rebuild. While it was out, I did a little bit of painting and have taken care of a few things here and there. I bought this tractor a few years ago with issues and have never had it running properly, so I'm not super familiar with it but I am learning quickly. Is there anything I should look into before putting it back together? I put enough money in the engine, so I can't afford to rebuild the rear end right now and I'm not sure it needs it. The little bit I have operated the tractor, it seems to drive pretty good in all the gears. I did have a question about a curved shield that bolts under the radiator and curves under the crank pulley. Does that serve an important purpose? If it does, I'll put it back in, but all it seems to do is make it a pain to change a belt or bar the engine over.  Thanks for any info

Replies:
Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 5:50pm
I think that things purpose is to help seal off , so air is worked directly thru the radiator- if its was a hard working tractor , yeah probably put it back on- all I ve dealt with they dont see real hard work and leave them off

Posted By: DSeries4
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 2:58pm
Don't cut corners.  That shield was put on there for a reason.  It does not affect changing belts on either.  I do not know the reason for its purpose, but there are only 2 bolts that hold it in place.  I would presume it prevents the crank pulley from picking up vegetation when driving in tall weeds.

-------------
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080

Posted By: KJCHRIS
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 10:11pm
Helps Control air flow thru radiator I think. And most importantly keeps fan from picking up dirt and throwing it back to cab/operator platform. 
 A 190XT I drug home doesn't have it, my 200 does. There's a difference in how much dust & dirt comes back to you.
 Now I'm wondering if the 180 & 185 have them? I'll have to look next time out to farm. 

-------------
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 6:33am
I don't know why you have disassembled the engine for an OH. Do yourself a favor and at least have the radiator flushed/ cleaned inside and out, and use the correct type of heavy duty pre-mixed antifreeze. This will protect your sleeves and sleeve Orings from ever failing down the road. Change this coolant out every 1,000 hrs if it was mine.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 12:08pm
Thanks for he replies. I didn't think about it throwing dirt around more. Either way, I will just put it back on. I took the time to paint it, so might as well. And Doc the engine got more than just an overhaul. We pulled it and sent it to the machine shop to get the works treatment. I will have to look around to see if I can find a place that still boils rads. That also reminds me of a question regarding the oil cooler. When I bought it, the oil lines were not connected to the oil cooler and were capped. I'm not sure why it was that way. I plan on pressure testing the cooler to make sure it doesn't leak and hooking it back up, but do i need to plug the oil galley that bypasses the cooler? The manual shows a plug, but I'm not exactly sure where it would be located. 

Posted By: Joe(OH)
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 12:33pm
I see your from Fletcher.  I have heard good things about Piqua Radiator.  

-------------
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 2:34pm
I will give them a try Joe. It's been quite a few years ago, but my father and I were looking for a place to boil gas that had turned to varnish out of the gas tank on a farmall F20. I think he had talked to them, but maybe they said no because it was a gas tank.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net