Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=197095
Printed Date: 26 Jul 2024 at 10:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: walnuts...
Posted By: shameless dude
Subject: walnuts...
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 1:01am
the old lady....oooooops.....I mean the loving wife has been picking up walnuts in our yard all week, says it's better than letting the mower hit them and send them zinging towards one of our new windows! anyways...I took a couple buckets of them to town with me yesterday morning....was in a big parking lot and there was a pickup parked next to me, I looked around and didn't see anyone watching me, I dumped one whole bucket of them in the back of that pickup. then pulled into a gas station lot...did the same thing there! they sure left a lasting smell in the cab of my truck, guess that's good nuff to cover up any fart smells in there! will grab a couple more bucket fulls this morning and go to town. look at all the squirrel food i'm just giving away! no need to thank me! 

Replies:
Posted By: Unit3
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 2:02am
  When I came out of the store, I must have counted 50 squirrels milling around and climbing on my truck. I could not, for the life of me, figure out where all them dang walnuts came from. Mystery solved.

-------------
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C

Posted By: ACinSC
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 6:12am
We have quite a few walnut trees at the 'farm'. Always wondered how you get inside the nut and if it's worth the effort? Thanks

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 6:43am
English walnuts you eat, Black walnuts you make stain out off
Blacks WILL kill a LOT of veggies like toms and peppers ! jugalone is their poison...

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 7:38am
Black walnuts have higher nutritional value than any other nut. Also greater anti inflammatory and cancer fighting properties. Worth it to husk and shell? You decide

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 7:50am
Seems like grandma used to say that you put them in a feed sack laying on the driveway and run over them?

Posted By: thendrix
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 9:38am
My grandmother puts hers in the driveway and lets everybody run over them to break the skin. Then she lets them dry a few days then picks up the nut and shells them. Once you get the skin off you can put them in a cement mixer for a while to get the goo off before shelling

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Posted By: AcFordHawk
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 9:42am
Dad used to lay them in the drive without the sack.  Seemed to work ok.  I have a few trees and a 5 gallon bucket of uncracked walnuts is about all my wife needs at a time.  

I took a section of 2X4, added a couple legs, and drilled a couple holes just larger than the walnut. Use it to peel the outer husk off by driving them through with a rubber hammer.  Works fairly well and do the job by the tree so the mess stays there.  

I let them dry down and then use the regular vise to crack open. Able to control the speed and depth with the vise without destroying the walnut.  Can remove the meat fairly easily as the parts stay in larger sizes.  What I can't readily pick out I use a cheap set of Harbor Freight picks to get the rest. 

Left them in the shop one year drying and all winter had to collect them from the mice/varmints moving/eating them.  Little buggers put them everywhere.

-------------
IB (restoring), MF GC1705, MF 2705E

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 12:05pm
sad thing is I know  of a Model A Twodoor sedan ,that has nuts  level with the seats ! Dang silly kid won't sell, been in nice 'shed' for 30+ years .....

-------------

Posted By: sparky
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 12:19pm
Have a small feed mill close to me that has a huller and most everyone around me has their walnuts hulled there. I’ve seen everything from 5 gallon buckets to a 4 horse trailer full of walnuts. I take the hulls and boil them in denatured alcohol for stain I use in my woodshop. Planting walnuts from seed they have to go through a winter cycle. I put mine in a wire mesh container to keep the squirrels out of them. Come late February I’ll plant them. Before I plant I put a few at a time in a bucket of water and the ones that float get tossed because they won’t sprout.

-------------
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 12:39pm
Thanks guys , good info !

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 4:19pm
Lower tire pressure, the right gap,  and an old tire tread as a liner on the ramp, and this method works pretty good, if you have the time...Wink

https://youtu.be/CDPYag1-igw?si=WuWIl8yp42IE0Mnj" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/CDPYag1-igw?si=WuWIl8yp42IE0Mnj

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 7:40pm
A good excuse to practice holeshots without getting yelled at when you're a kid.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 7:49pm
Dad always threw them in the driveway and everyone drove over them when they came and went from the farm. then he picked them up after laying there awhile to dry. if you boil them in a pan, you can take the shells off with your fingers to get the whole meat out.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 6:32am
Interesting video Dave
Think I would have found some gloves though

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 6:47am
I have a nut cracker that has a rack gear that is super slick for cracking walnuts.

Edit; Was going to take a picture of it and post, can't find the silly thing!

Posted By: KJCHRIS
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 12:39am
The squirrels are busy burying them here. Last lawn mowing I pulled another 4 or 5 small trees out, I do this at least 4 times each summer. If they grew faster I'd transplant a few to the farm. I helped granddad's neighbor transplant about 12 when I was in Junior high, they were 3 - 4' then (55+ years ago) are about a 4" trunk and 20' tall now. 

-------------
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:08am
Originally posted by KJCHRIS KJCHRIS wrote:

The squirrels are busy burying them here. Last lawn mowing I pulled another 4 or 5 small trees out, I do this at least 4 times each summer. If they grew faster I'd transplant a few to the farm. I helped granddad's neighbor transplant about 12 when I was in Junior high, they were 3 - 4' then (55+ years ago) are about a 4" trunk and 20' tall now. 

Only a 4 inch trunk in 55 years ?Sounds like poor genetics, or very poor site for growing trees. Trees do that good or better in my 20 inch average rain fall area. Even with a drought or 2 with less than 1/2 that.

A trick I stumbled upon completely by accident to make trees grow better, simazine the ground sterilizer. Simazine stops germination of about all seeds. Acorns seem to love it. At least here at my place.  Besides taking away compotation from other plants it also tends to keep gophers away as there are no roots to eat until they travel across the bare area until they get to the tree.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 12:58pm
Just watched a walnut you-tube video . Think I'll stick with pecans . Thanks !

Posted By: Lars(wi)
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 1:23pm
Mother had us spread out the walnuts on a couple tables in the garage, and let the outer green dry, to husk and crack open later on. There were two hickory trees and the end of the road, that we would pick up the nuts from the road and ditch and climb the fence into the neighbors hayfield to get the hickory nuts.

-------------
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 9:06am
Black walnuts are really good eating if you've the patience to get them out of those shells!

I found that nut cracker now if I can just get the pictures added one of these days.

Posted By: alan-nj
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 11:02am
Always picked , hulled and cracked black walnuts.  Always messy.  Now I use an old corn sheller for the hulling part.  Great in cookies and cakes.  Won't have many this year, late frost got the trees.  Hickory nut trees are loaded though.  They're easier to work with.

-------------
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.

Posted By: mdm1
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 11:11am
Me thinks it's easier to just buy some nuts!

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: sparky
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 11:41am
My mother made hickory nut pie. She made it just like pecan pie but used hickory nuts instead. Lots of work but worth it.

-------------
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

Me thinks it's easier to just buy some nuts!

I would guaranty you are right. I have picked English walnuts after the husk is off and dry and still leave them sit in a bucket until the mice get in them and then burn the remains. As we don't use that many nuts. And the English walnut are way less than 1/2 as hard to crack and shell as black walnuts.

But you all have me drooling for a good English walnut or a pecan pie. Here my cook uses them both the same just which ever is handy.

For 50 years English walnuts were a good paying crop in California. The mechanization started making it hard to compete in my non irrigated side hill country.  Put then organic came to be a big thing and that made this area competitive again. But those crafty Chinese were watching 20 years already. They had ever farmer with the right climate plant English walnuts as shade trees. So they have taken the European market and walnut prices have crashed here. It has cost more to pick them than the selling price the last 2 years. 

Wink But me thinks it pays to be very, very careful  if you think Chinese walnuts are organic...........................no matter what the package says. LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 1:11pm
Yeah I would love some pecan pie right about now

Posted By: KJCHRIS
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 3:21am
Ray54, 
 I think it has to do with that they're planted in 2 corners of that farm and have corn & soybeans growing within a few feet of them so I'm sure they get a good dose of herbicides on occasion. They were volunteer trees from someones yard. 

-------------
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 6:44am
well if any of ya'll come, drive yer pickup...i'll have a surprise to give ya!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 8:49am
Ray, I love black walnuts, wouldn't walk across the kitchen for an English version! They are easy to crack but why bother, I'll leave them in the mixed nuts and eat the almonds, filberts, and other good stuff.

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 5:24pm
Has anyone used a vice to crack hickory nuts and walnuts? I use a 6 in. one after I clean it up real well; get the oil  and stuff off it. Less damage to the nuts than a hammer and less damage to fingers too. I pick nuts out on winter evenings while watching TV.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 7:03am
Couple of pictures of the nut-cracker. This thing works great!

Posted By: Clay
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 8:16am
I have the exact same nut cracker.  Wish I had a penny for every nut it has cracked.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 9:02am
Yeah Mike,that looks like it would work well. Thanks for sharing

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 1:03am
well...I been busy!! a gal at a local gas station drives her truck to work there everyday...I overheard her say she was gonna go visit her Granny in another state this week...sooooooo....I gathered up many 5 gallon buckets of them walnuts and have been pouring them into the back of her truck all weekend and these week days while she's gone! so far they are about a foot and a 1/2 deep in the truck box! think she'll be surprised when she returns?? lol

Posted By: alan-nj
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 7:31am
We had the same nut cracker.  My brother has it now.  Would like to find one of my own.

-------------
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 7:42am
go visit brother.
..and bring home your early Xmas present......Wink

-------------

Posted By: GSTROM99
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 11:01am
Yep, it's that time of year again.  I've got about a dozen of them dang black walnut trees.  I HATE them.  The crows seem to like to eat the soft meaty outsides, but I don't have enough squirrels to use up what's left over.  Time to get out the shop vac, extension cords and loader.  I usually get a dozen of so bucket loads, dumping them on the burn pile.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 11:54am
I just bought a nut gatherer for the large ones last night and tried it out. Works great. Like running a vacuum cleaner without the cords. Even my accountant likes it

Posted By: GSTROM99
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 12:11pm
Yeah, I've tried one of those.  It does work okay, and the lawn vacuums don't.  When I said "a dozen" bucket loads, I meant tractor buckets.  I've got too many, to use the roller type picker-uppers.

Posted By: HudCo
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 10:00pm
i would like to try hickory nuts i can founder on nuts my favorite is hazal nuts or may you guys call them filberts 

Posted By: Dirt Farmer
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 1:41am
I had issues several years ago with the walnuts as well so I contacted a local pest control person and put in a request for him to relocate a couple squirrels to my place the next time he caught a pair, They have been fun to watch gathering their bounty and bouncing from tree to tree till they tried to follow the power lines to the house then we had words which resulted in putting tin flashing 18 inches around where the power enters the house, only took 1 attempt for them ninjas to try and fail at gettin into the house, wish I had my camera out, other that they have been great at picking up the walnuts

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 6:19am
A squirrel has been living here for a while. What it lives on I don't know. Have sycamore and pine trees and see ear corn stripped to the cob. I brought home a batch of walnuts the other to lay in the driveway for layman husking which by the way is very inefficient and busted him loading up on those walnuts

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 8:32am
Five LARGE red squirrels have taken up quarters in trees by our drive, have been planting/burying walnuts like mad here.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 9:22am
You guys can keep the squirrels! I shoot every one I see. They bury walnuts in the garden by the truck-load and have blown the electric service to my house twice in the last year!!! That never ends well for the fury one.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 5:27pm
Mike, I have a movie for you!  It's only 10 mins. Watch it and give me a moral...Wink

https://youtu.be/e_ofen9SDeM?si=G3RgARwZseokhDy3" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/e_ofen9SDeM?si=G3RgARwZseokhDy3

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 6:49am
If a woman shows up at the door, don't hold her at gunpoint?

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 11:09am
Humm moral of the story is to keep your pants on and watch your potatoe! Damn squirrels! Hummm!
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 5:38pm
I still like mine, watch out for that last raisin, it might not be a raisin...Wink

-------------

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 6:59pm
Someone had to give the squirrel the single raisin? The old man hates squirrels. Did the old lady take the mean old man "out" and give the squirrel the last raisin? Hummm???:) 
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net