Printed Date: 25 Sep 2024 at 3:22pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How Big Are Your Rocks
Posted By: Macon Rounds
Subject: How Big Are Your Rocks
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 9:43am

Re-perposed rocks

-------------
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate

Replies:
Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 11:24am
well................... NOT THAT BIG !!  Wink

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: steve(ill)
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 11:25am
does that grapple bust them up or ???

-------------
Like them all, but love the "B"s.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 12:46pm
Yeah I got all of those.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 2:19pm

Posted By: captaindana
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 5:59pm
Ok Benny I’ll admit. Yours are bigger than mine. 😫 lol

-------------
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana

Posted By: JoeO(CMO)
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 7:25pm
yep,  You win!

Posted By: MACK
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 8:08pm
Glad I don't have any.                    MACK

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 10:16pm
Wow. I’ve got one field that’s pretty rocky… there’s about a 5 acre spot that’s got rocks ranging in size from half dollar to fist size. And I thought that was bad!

Posted By: im4racin
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 10:23pm
Half dollar to fist size.....that's my lawn!

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 4:27pm
I have rocks to match anybody. I have 2 that I spent 2 or 3 hours digging on each with a D6. Neither would wiggle so I gave up on both. I got several others out of the ground, Had to use a chain to make it stay in the HD 5g loader bucket. Then backed the flatbed dump truck under.  As the HD 5 was standing on its nose with most of the track off the ground. Used them to help hold the culvert pipe in my driveway. 

For farming purposes if it is smaller than a grapefruit or small cantaloupe just leave them. If you want to pick fist size you would never get done.

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 4:31pm
neighbour had a couple close to the 1st one... drilled a few holes, added a 'magic slurry',overnight rock had babies !!! OK, it split into several chunks...

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: Wayne180d
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 11:19pm
50 miles south of Chicago a neighbor of hours tried to dig a rock out of his field there was about a  3 to 4 foot piece above ground  He dug down on both sides of it with a 1206 IH and all you could see was the top  of the exhaust and never even moved it.  

Posted By: 560Dennis
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 6:27am
not that big 

Posted By: Travis2766
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 8:19am
I’ve got them that size and all the little (fist to watermelon size) pain in the azz ones that need to be picked yearly until I decide I’ve had enough. My kids are the 6th generation to pick rocks on these fields and there’s no end in sight, too bad there’s not a market for rocks!

-------------
190XT Series III, D17 Series IV, D15 Series II, All Crop 66 and a whole mess of equipment.

Posted By: captaindana
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 8:47am
I always said going to Cornell I had a degree in pickn’ rocks. It seems like such a brainless waste of time and effort but absolutely necessary. Our 250 acres have always been hand picked since the 1840’s in our family.

-------------
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 8:03am
There is a market for 'decorative' rocks! See them for sale all the time around here. Pretty sure it's big business in Minnesota too.

Posted By: BrianC
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 12:45pm
I have read that the fields "grow" rocks. 
Some sort of frost thaw heaving action.
I am going to call baloney on that. 
Over thousands of years, all the rocks would
be up, and all the land covered with a field of rocks.
I don't see that. 
What say you guys?

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 3:35pm
I respectfully disagree with you

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 7:16am
Me too! If the frost didn't work them to the surface I'd have been done picking them up long ago! Applying anhydrous with a knife bar brings them up too. Really, any kind of tillage helps bring them to the surface.

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 7:47am
     A few years ago we acquired some adjacent property and had to clear some trees and a rock that stuck above the ground about the size of a dish pan. Couldn't budge it with the loader. After a bit of digging with a big track hoe it turned out to be about the size of Macon's big rock. Well the Mrs. spied it and wanted it in the middle of a flower bed beside the house. So we paid the $120/ hr. machine to bring it about 1/3 of a mile to the house. But she's happy. 
     I have always thought erosion may play a part in getting rocks to the surface. 

Posted By: exSW
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 10:56am
My joke is 10,000 years ago the glacier slid south, stopped ,melted on my farm and dropped every rock between here and Canada. Plus we have a bedrock out crop. But the biggest was a glaciated limestone boulder they found escavating for a new township bridge. A JD 350G escavator couldn't move it(it would have made a hell of a yard rock).  Bigger than a Voltswagon. It had rolled under that glacier for a ways and awhile as it were near perfectly round. They just built around it.

-------------
Learning AC...slowly

Posted By: dp7000
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 12:37pm
My father use to say “only one way to get rid of rocks, die and leave em”.

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 10:25am
Reminds me of an old story concerning rocks on a farm. Farmer said that the rocks were brought to his farm by a glacier. City guy asked where the glacier went. Farmer replied, "back for more rocks".

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 12:06pm

Posted By: exSW
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2023 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Reminds me of an old story concerning rocks on a farm. Farmer said that the rocks were brought to his farm by a glacier. City guy asked where the glacier went. Farmer replied, "back for more rocks".
Yep.

-------------
Learning AC...slowly

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 9:45am

re-purposed rocks !!!

never any shortage of someplace to make them purposefull ...

-------------
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 7:34pm

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net