Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19065
Printed Date: 28 Sep 2024 at 3:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pictures from the Agco Tractor Plant in France
Posted By: nowaktj
Subject: Pictures from the Agco Tractor Plant in France
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:08am

Guys-I am traveling for work here in France this week and with coming in one day early I thought it would be fun to go up to Beuvais and find the AGCO tractor plant.  After some driving around I found it.  Notice one of the pictures shows probably one of the last "orange" tractors off the assy line.  Enjoy!  Terry

-------------
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G

Replies:
Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:37am
I just don't understand. If AGCO can build a red tractor, then a yellow one that has different sheet metal, different cab top, and fenders and different wheels, why not make all the parts the same and just paint different colors. It wouldn't cost as much to change the color as it does to have all the different pieces of trim.
 And the sign I notice has no orange on it.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Posted By: Spud
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:53am
I didn't know they built Valtra in the same plant.  That is interesting.

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 12:45pm
Charlie, that would be way too easy.......
Thanks for the pictures, nowaktj. Thought I spotted two orange units in one of the first pictures.

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: DREAM
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 6:49pm
Aww that's just a shame and really ticks me off. In a way i'm glad that they killed off the orange, it was nothing but a Massive with orange sheet metal and different trim. They tortured Allis long enough, put her to rest.
Did I metion that I REALLY, REALLY hate Massives?

Posted By: Rick of HopeIN
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 7:32pm
I saw a presentation on the cab top at a conference.  They are all made as just minor variations of the same design by the supplier.  Keeps costs down but lets each brand have a different look.  

-------------
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless

Posted By: Oldoug
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 10:19pm
I like the orange ONE.  What a joke, I never thought I'd see it come to this.

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 10:42pm
Your "AG Company" my behind, how long till the ex flooring salesman retires?

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 6:27am
Don't all the tractors in France run backwards?  You know, run the other way!!! LOL!!!

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: redline
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:48am
I will never forgive Richenhagen for thrusting this upon us.
Spitting in the face of your loyal customer base is idiotic beyond measure. I have learned to hate masseys, too. I will never buy anything with that brand name. I own a challenger track tractor, and now wish I had never bought it. There will not be another on this farm.

-------------
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!

Posted By: Jim Lindemood
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:48am
I'm with Charlie -- can't really be that hard, or expensive -- don't get it. Interesting to see the plant. Thanks for taking the time to get some pictures.

Posted By: Dale-OH
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:29am
We toured the plant in 2000 and it was impressive then.

Posted By: GT in Indiana
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:20am
Is it true that one of the tractors back fired and all of the french workers ran to the front gate to surrender?  (Sorry, couldn't resist)

-------------
1955 WD45 we like to call Ruby

Posted By: Byron WC in SW Wi
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 1:08pm
You can get an orange tractor made by AGCO but it's a Valtra.  You can get Valtra in I think seven different colors or something like that.  Why didn't they do that with AGCO?  I have never got a good reason for them not to make an AGCO tractor with several different heritage colors.  Trimming down the lines for money savings is BS.  I thought they did it so they could get rid of some lower producing dealers but it seems like, at least around here, all of the dealers were retained.  So now I think it's just a European trying to screw Americans.  So, I move on.  I may buy AGCO-Allis tractors to get the air cooled diesels and get my parts for them from the Deutz dealers of which I have two that are closer to me than AGCO.  Anyway, I digress. 

Posted By: AllisFreak MN
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 3:55pm
Massey sucks.

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Posted By: AllisChalmers37
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

Massey sucks.

I second that!

-------------
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:35pm
Already stated my opinion on Massives, but it goes farther back than the AGCO version. I have disliked them since I was a kid having to run a a stupid little 135 gasser. It was gutless, hard-starting, and stayed broken down more than it was running. On top of that, I think having to use it with a scrape blade helping the neighbor do landscaping work is why I have a screwed up left knee these days. Maybe I go too far blaming the knee on it, but I have gotten off of it and hardly been able to walk, it hurt that bad.

Sorry for this turning into a bashing session. Thanks for sharing the plant pics.

-------------
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:57pm

The pictures got me to thinking I wonder if all these tractors in the photo's are ones that are not sold yet and all the orange ones have homes here in the states? 

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:52pm
Oldoug, I like the way you think!!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 11:03am
Does anyone know if that plant is just an assembly plant or do they actually manufacture part of the tractors, like the transmissions/rear ends there? Place looks pretty neat and clean, no smoke stacks or dirty buildings.

-------------

Posted By: allisrutledge
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 11:38am
I attended the late Allis Chalmers funeral in 1985, I am sorry to see the once great orange fade but I refuse to mourn Agco. ALLIS CHALMERS ORANGE will always be dear to me. Whew I feel better now.

-------------
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns

Posted By: Dale-OH
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 1:23pm
This is a manufacturing building, they build the smaller rearend and transmissions here plus assemble all the tractors over 90HP to 275hp.  The CVT transmission and rearends are built in the Fendt factory in Marktobodorf (sp) Germany.  And the AGCO Sisu engines are built in Finland.  I have been to all but the Engine plant and my brother has been to all.  Very impressive factorys

Posted By: Rick of HopeIN
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 5:59pm
I don't care.  If that 5445 showed up in my yard I would not complain a bit.

-------------
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 11:46pm

Rick, you wouldn't complain about the 5445?!

Don't you know that Massey causes bad knees, deficit spending, genital warts, global warming, etc.?  Everything is Massey's fault.  If you paint it orange though, it will all change as somehow the orange paint on the hood changes the iron underneath so that it is a completely different tractor.  People that were perfectly happy with an orange tractor, shriek like little girls and call it crap if the hood is red.
I am still not sure how a tractor can go from the greatest thing since sliced bread to the cause of all afflictions to mankind with a dab of paint but maybe one day I will figure it out.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 4:01pm
Hey Spud, you should probably go to the doctor and get those warts taken care of.

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Posted By: Goose
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 4:05pm
I have a question:
If it's the Agco Tractor Plant in France, why is the printing on the sign in English  (Your Agriculture Company)? You'd think they would have had the words in French! Maybe I'm thinking too hard.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 5:45pm
Good Comeback AllisFreak!

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 8:25pm
Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:42pm
Somehow people have this goofy idea that massey is loved all around the world. In my neck of the woods it is ridiculed. I would be embarassed to have that brand on my equipment. Taking away the brand I wanted did not automatically make me want massey. Taking the orange paint away and removing the AGCO name from it and calling it a massey doesn't change anything about how it is built or designed or what factory it came from, but it does have a very negative image in much of the midwest. I don't see that changing any time soon. They have pretty much poisoned the whole batch of AGCO brands with this move. With the exception of Gleaner, I will steer clear of any brand they market.

-------------

Posted By: ILGLEANER
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:59pm
Spud if you are honestly to stupid to understand the difference in paint,why would you even say anything?
                                                IG

-------------
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 6:49pm
I am not stupid ILGleaner.
I find some people simple that say "all Masseys are Junk".  I understand where you are coming from because you laid money down and have lost value.  I believe you were running some RT and DT Agco's?  Up until Agco did away with orange, did you think they were junk or were you happy with the tractors up until that point?

I am not saying that there would not be bitterness after losing a brand but to say that "I have learned to hate Massey", "all Massey's are junk", "Massey gave me a bad knee" is getting a little foolish.
As you can tell, I am also like Massey.  I am glad that at least one of my favourite brands has survived the economic turmoil.
Running down Massey does not build up AC in any way.

Posted By: Dave in il
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 7:16pm
Spud,

I put a post up "Would you by a red AGCO?" The reason I asked was, yes the Massey is the same basic tractor and I like many others am very happy with my AGCO dealer.

However the name Massey Ferguson is a deal breaker for me and a lot of other folks. By the 80's Massey had fallen behind the competition, after the 1155 tractor and the 860 combine there were many issues with their equipment and dealers were dropping like flies. If you had an 860 you had to drive 75 or 100 miles to find parts.

The very few around here that stuck with MF equipment were odd ducks anyway or farmed with the cheapest junk they could find. Massey Ferguson is a name with a stigma attached to it around here.

It would help if in the North American market they would change it to AGCO Massey or at least have an advertising campaign something like this not your Grampas MF. There was a reason that Massey North America was on the list of AGCO aquisitions like White and others and it wasn't because of their market share! 

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 7:33pm
Spud, don't forget - Agco bought out massey, not vice versa.

-------------

Posted By: GBACBFan
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 7:53pm
I guess I need to understand Business 101. How does it matter which company bought out the other?

-------------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:43pm
Normally the business that buys out the other keeps its name and phases out the other, no?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:45pm
As in Allis Gleaner Company, that is. This is an Allis related forum you know, not a massey forum.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:58pm
Well, no, the business that buys out the other does not necessarily keeps its name and phases out the other. In 1985 KHD bought out Allis Chalmers and left the Allis name on the tractor, no?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 9:13pm
Well, Packer fan, did you not notice that the Allis name came after the Deutz name and the color changed to green??

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 9:38pm
Yes, but they didn't loose their identity. It's also noteworthy that " The group (KHD) finally managed to dispose of its "black hole" in the United States" (Deutz-Allis) Source: KDH Konzern company history. In their words, they didn't sell Deutz Allis, they managed to dispose of it's black hole. The US is a very small part of the worldwide tractor market, and a tough market when stateside manufacturing is not competitive and you have shipping and import costs.

There is no business rule that the larger company name prevails in a buyout, aquisition, or merger. It's the stronger managers that survive that control the companies direction. Don't take this as an endorsement of AGCO's management, I don't necessarily think there doing a very good job, but for whatever reason they are at the helm. 

When Coca Cola changed their formula for Coke there was a groundswell of customers that objected, and they retreated. AGCO is getting a relatively small percentage of their potential US customers objecting to this change, and it's not enough to change their direction. Of almost 4000 members of this far reaching Forum, for example, there's maybe 20, heck say 50 strenuous objectors. You have valid reasons, you're entitled, but you don't make a loud enough voice to be heard by AGCO management. They're writing off what they perceive to be a small loss in business as a cost of a marketing change in direction.

I not in total disagreement with you, but like you I'm voicing an opinion. I'm entitled. And yes, I'm a Packer fan. There are few venues for football like Lambeau Field. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 10:07pm
OK, let me clarify. Seems no one noticed the several other solid mechanical issues that I listed as to why I have never liked Massey-Ferguson. The knee issue is in part hereditary, i'll say that. My issue with the Massey clutch(and any other that uses the reverse-hinged pedal) is that it causes you to step down on it in an unnatural manner, and having to hold it in that position and repeatedly work it will cause a lot of muscle fatigue over time.
Not Masseys' fault that I have bad knees. It is Masseys fault that they chose to build a cheap, underpowered, and mechanically unsound piece of equipment. Spud, apologies to you and anyone else who has had good luck with them. I do not like them, have never liked them, and will never like them. I have tried more than one piece of their equipment also, so i'm not basing this on an isolated incident. Also, for the record, I have not, nor will I ever buy an AGCO product. I don't give a crap if it's Plum-crazy purple! It is NOT an Allis-Chalmers. Allis-Chalmers ceased to be 6 December 1985. They will never be replaced. Even a new Allis-Chalmers branded tractor would not be the same, as it is not built by the Allis-Chalmers company, tractor division, Milwaukee, WS. Case in point. The new AC lawn mowers. Got to check one out last weekend. I am disapointed. Not the quality, especially in the deck area, that I would have expected from Simplicity. I guess Briggs is calling the shots, and wants a price point mower to compete with the big-box boys. Guess i'll have to break down and buy something green(uggh) if I ever wear out my 1986 Snapper lawn tractor.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 10:57pm
Spud ,
 Up until they changed the color I liked there tractors,were they the best?? I dont know,but they were orange just like every other tractor on this farm for 40 years. And now that they are gone,I have to change colors.No? Will I drive 50 miles for something I really dont want? No. I can drive 5 miles for something I dont really want. So it will be green. Yea I have had a couple Dts a Rt and a silver combine, but they tractors are all changed to a different color now, And the combine is next.

IG

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 10:59pm
GBACB,
 How long did that work out for them??? 5 years. If they had it to do all over again, you reckon they would put there engines in the Allis equipment and keep them orange???
                                                    IG

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by ILGLEANER ILGLEANER wrote:

GBACB,
  If they had it to do all over again, you reckon they would put there engines in the Allis equipment and keep them orange???
                                                    IG
That would have been a smart move. They followed that game plan with the Gleaners, and the Gleaners managed to survive. Admittedly, the air-cooled engine works much better in a tractor than in the super dusty engine compartment of a combine, but they worked ok, they just needed a little attention from time to time.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 1:08pm
If they had it to do all over again, I reckon they wouldn't have pissed away their $107 million bucks and would have let AC die a natural death.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 9:17pm
I don't think A-C would have died, if they could have figured out some way to hang on the 8000 series was a great tractor and the Gleaner combines were still selling strong I think they would still be in business today maybe.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 10:09pm
Unfortunately Allis Chalmers was already done when Duetz took over. A huge diversified company but poorly managed and slow to adapt and change. If the Agricultural Division was able to make it's own decisions they may have been around today, but when times were good many times profits were used to shore up the bottom line of other ailing divisions instead of R&D, updating mfging processes and other things that could have helped keep AC one of "the big 3".

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 11:53pm
Good point Dave. Love 'em or hate 'em, JD is where it is today because it was and is an agriculture company(with some forays into the construction equipment). They make all of their decisions based on what is good for JD agriculture, not any other division. Contruction equipment comes in second, and you can tell.

-------------

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:55am
Massey at one time was the #1 tractor in the world but not in the U.S..Where I live Massey was not very popular so I really do not know much about them other than most people who did own one was always working on them.I do not like AGCO packaging tractors as Heritage line because they share only the name in common with Allis Chalmers,maybe I am too much of a purist but I will always be loyal to the A.C. tractors I have known over the years they were reliable.I have a neighbor that is a John Deere man that told me he would not buy anything but Deere because they are built here I told him to look at where his Deere was built,he found Mannheim Germany on the serial tag.The only tractor built entirely in their own country is Kubota and they are orange!

Posted By: nowversatile
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by GBACBFan GBACBFan wrote:

Yes, but they didn't loose their identity. It's also noteworthy that " The group (KHD) finally managed to dispose of its "black hole" in the United States" (Deutz-Allis) Source: KDH Konzern company history. In their words, they didn't sell Deutz Allis, they managed to dispose of it's black hole. The US is a very small part of the worldwide tractor market, and a tough market when stateside manufacturing is not competitive and you have shipping and import costs.

There is no business rule that the larger company name prevails in a buyout, aquisition, or merger. It's the stronger managers that survive that control the companies direction. Don't take this as an endorsement of AGCO's management, I don't necessarily think there doing a very good job, but for whatever reason they are at the helm. 

When Coca Cola changed their formula for Coke there was a groundswell of customers that objected, and they retreated. AGCO is getting a relatively small percentage of their potential US customers objecting to this change, and it's not enough to change their direction. Of almost 4000 members of this far reaching Forum, for example, there's maybe 20, heck say 50 strenuous objectors. You have valid reasons, you're entitled, but you don't make a loud enough voice to be heard by AGCO management. They're writing off what they perceive to be a small loss in business as a cost of a marketing change in direction.

I not in total disagreement with you, but like you I'm voicing an opinion. I'm entitled. And yes, I'm a Packer fan. There are few venues for football like Lambeau Field. 

Why are tractor sales in a tank since the Orange decision then? Your Coke analogy is great, but what did Coke do? They listened to their customers and gave them what they wanted, their old Coke back. Unlike the little bullheaded dictator in Duluth who spits in the face of customers. "You Vill buy what I tell You"! Similar as to why the Deutz fiasco failed, they ignored what the market place was telling them. Another example is Chrysler Corporation, never worked under Mercedes Benz. Cultures are different. There is HUGE opportunity for AGCO in North America but customer goodwill is evaporating rapidly and NA should be considered by any responsible executive as a "must win" for success. Gleaner is still the most respected name in North American harvesting but the world is rapidly going to green, red and NH yellow, simply because they are always there for support and service, even though they may not be the best. Look at what this stubby one man wrecking ball is doing: Orange gone, tractor sales tanked, He soon has Hesston eliminated, hay equipment sales tanking, attempts to eliminate Gleaner, failed due to their only success story in NA, but sure to be Challenged again. And we always hear from the "move on and accept it" crowd (Neville Chamberlain types) and my question to those who say the market can't support AGCO's founding brands, what is Challenger combine doing? Will they make it to 10 sales this year? If so, sales need to get in gear. Somehow though, big bucks continue to flow to Challenger as this is a good business case!

Posted By: TomYaz
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 1:55pm
 "Of almost 4000 members of this far reaching Forum, for example, there's maybe 20, heck say 50 strenuous objectors"

I would assume only a very small number of AGCO customers actually visit this site, and even few are registered members.

If so few object, the NA sales dont reflect that fact.  The first 2 quarters since the announcment have been a disaster (NA only).  The competition is having a good year.
Grain receipts are good. No reason why AGCO NA shouldnt be doing good. But wait there is a reason. Guess what it is? 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 2:21pm
Tom, I empathize with your perspective, I truly do. Sales had dropped significantly while the company was AC, and they were not a factor in the tractor market in 1985. When they were Allis Chalmers and orange, there were not enough customers to sustain a profitable business. It was more than the name on the hood or color of the tractor. 

Allis Chalmers had gone down the $hit chute before KHD bought them in  1985. KHD paid $107 M for a loosing company, lost money for five more years, and finally stopped the bleeding and dumped them in 1989, and took a one time loss of $282M. It wasn't like KHD trashed a successful company, they couldn't resuscitate a terminally ill aquisition.

What you're missing with the Coke analogy is that a LOT of Coke customers objected, and Coke responded. With orange AGCO tractors, the negative response is viewed by AGCO as relatively insignificant. There is no groundswell of concern being voiced to AGCO. They maybe get a few hundred letters, a few oranges left at shows from a minority making a point, but not enough objection to change their business decision.

There are many factors that impact AGCO's current sales. I'm sure the color change is one of them for some people. We have certainly seen that here. I'd assume the greater factor is People don't want to buy a tractor that will be considered obsolete, whatever the color. I wouldn't.  

An earlier post said it well. Allis Chalmers died in 1985. The remnants that exist are some other company. Nothing is forever. RIP.

-------------

Posted By: DougG
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 3:36pm
Those are great pics , thanks for posting ; with the discussion of KHD , I just googled it and it explains that KHD was on the verge of collapse by 87 cause of the bad business decision and great expectations of buying AC Ag and the $500 millon it was supposed to generate ; it explains that the NA ag market was underestimated and that the ALLIS CHALMERS buyout at $107 millon was no bargain and almost broke them ; Deutz + AC were talking merger in 1977 , Deutz really wanted to get a hold in NA  to expand; and AC was doing good THEN - so no merger ; that- YOUR AG COMPANY - really turns my guts but you cant change things out of your control !!! 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 3:38pm

Tom, I empathize with your perspective, I truly do. Sales had dropped significantly while the company was AC, and they were not a factor in the tractor market in 1985. When they were Allis Chalmers and orange, there were not enough customers to sustain the business.

What you're missing with the Coke analogy is that a LOT of Coke customers objected, and Coke responded. With orange AGCO tractors, the negative response is viewed by AGCO as relatively insignificant. There is no groundswell of concern being voiced to AGCO. They maybe get a few hundred letters, a few oranges left at shows from a minority making a point, but not enough objection to change their business decision.

An earlier post said it well. Allis Chalmers died in 1985. The remnants that exist are some other company.

Im not talking about AC sales in 1985. DOnt really care about that.  Im talking about AGCO NA sales this year. They have dropped considerably for some strange reason when by all accounts and compared with ther competitors they should be doing well. 
Not all marketing blunders are going to be made themselves known by letter writing campaigns ala Coke.  Seems to me farmers are the speak softly and carry a big stick type anyway. So there may be no verbal clamoring about the change, but it does seem to me that the customer base has spoken their dis-approval with their wallets.

How else would you explain those weird NA numbers?

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 4:00pm
Sorry, Tom, I added the following to the post above as you were answering:

There are many factors that impact AGCO's current sales. I'm sure the color change is one of them for some people. We have certainly seen that here. I'd assume the greater factor is People don't want to buy a tractor that will be considered obsolete, whatever the color. I wouldn't.  

Another consideration is that perhaps they are simply writing off the NA market in favor of greater opportunities worldwide. NA is the center of the universe from our perspective, but for worldwide corporations, not so much.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 4:59pm
GB fan.  Tough loss today.  At least the Badgers won. 

Maybe cause I'm from the good ole USA and in particular the Midwest I'm biased. Maybe I think we're more important than we are.  That's fair.  I guess AGCO thinks Brazil is more important than us because they have more AGOC brands including Deutz-Allis than the whole US does.  Maybe the all the world leading sales of Valtra has allowed them to continue to offer several colors of their tractor including orange, red, green and silver, (among others).  Come on.  The dude got rid of orange paint and kept all his European stuff going because he is from EUROPE. 

I'm so glad they got a monopoly over there and that all those huge sales from countries the size of my state are sustaining them.  That those countries are so good with their money than their about one more bad economy among them to crash the whole Euro. 

Bottom line is color matters and as far as I can tell, with my limited and biased knowledge, the Midwest of the USA matters.  Guess we will find out for sure though if AGCO goes belly up.  Course they can then blame it on AC like Deutz did when IMO if Deutz would've stuck their engine into Allis tractors and kept them orange they'd be a world leader now.  But, still it was AC's fault.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 6:35pm

Sorry, Tom, I added the following to the post above as you were answering:

Another consideration is that perhaps they are simply writing off the NA market in favor of greater opportunities worldwide. NA is the center of the universe from our perspective, but for worldwide corporations, not so much.

Ok your post made more sense now! LOL!

>>>People don't want to buy a tractor that will be considered obsolete, whatever the color. I wouldn't.

So you think AGCO's tractors are obsolete compared to the competition? Wow if thats the case AGCO got bigger problems then Orange!

>>Another consideration is that perhaps they are simply writing off the NA market in favor of greater opportunities worldwide.

So your saying AGCO is thinkin "We are going Massey and if it costs us NA, then so be it"... I would have to think the AGCO Board wouldnt like that strategery...might as well close up HQ in Duluth and go to Europe.  

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:03pm

Obsolete was a poor word choice. Actually, I was saying that buyers may stay away from buying the last of the new orange tractors because they will no longer be made, and their resale will be less, service may be less, factory support may be less, etc., not staying away strictly because of color. Not having confidence in corporate decisions generally (color and otherwise) would also reduce new sales. When GM announced the end was in sight for the Oldsmobile and Pontiac, I wouldn't have bought a new one. They were high quality car, I'm sure, but less appealing because it's life cycle had ended.

I do not believe NA is AGCO's biggest market concern, and moving corporate offices from state to state and country to country is pretty common. Longer term I think you will see the headquarters leave GA and move elsewhere.

This is only conjecture on my part. In time we'll know, and we can all look into our hindsightometers, replay the ninth inning, and discuss the woulda coulda shoulda's.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:14pm
Why beat the dead horse from 1985,  Duetz couldn't sell their euro design product in N.A. so they bought AC, threw every bit of their tractor design away, got rid of the signature orange paint, bought another tractor design that was already obsolete, with a much lower market share than AC. (no offense to the White guys) Had it assembled with their air cooled motors that most farmers weren't interested in. And it still looked like a goofy colored White with a strange engine. What a plan! When the plan failed it was the inferior AC dealers and stupid N.A. farmers fault.

Is anything similar about todays situation? AGCO has a top notch line up of machinery and tractors, sales were growing up until the "No more orange!" announcement. (Remember 4 orange tractors sold for every MF & Challeger combined) Now sales are way off. Maybe AGCO IS thinkin "We are going Massey and if it costs us NA, then so be it"... You WOULD think the AGCO Board wouldnt like that strategery but so far no one has said anything PUBLICLY... Who said closing up HQ in Duluth isn't the long term plan. After all AGCO HQ is in Duluth, sounds like long term AGCO will eventually become MF and where is that HQ located?

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:39pm
One last comment, Dave, if I may. The only point to bringing up 1985 was that KHD bought a company that wasn't selling tractors. There was no demand for the orange Allis Chalmers. KHD certainly did themselves no favors with the changes they made, but there was no good reason to continue with the product AC could not sell. People weren't buying orange Allis Chalmers tractors in 1985, there was no reason to believe new ownership alone building the same unsellable product would change that. Just a thought.

The last comment is to thank Terry for taking pics of a factory most of us will never see in person. Cool pics, Terry, and much appreciated.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:04pm
None of the brands could sell tractors in the mid 80's because the farm economy was in the crapper. A-C just wasn't strong enough to survive the tough times for such a long period.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:13pm
It wasnt just ALLIS CHALMERS tractors that werent selling-  no tractor company was moving tractors - if you remember in the EIGHTYS there was a huge AG recession , interest was high , prices low ,alot of farmers went broke , you could buy a JD 4020 for 3 grand on auction !!! Allis Chalmers released the 6000 series and here in the midwest they were selling great , then the EIGHT thousand series got in the picture, they sold great  ; these were dam good tractors , and people knew it but wouldnt spend $$$$$ cause  the future didnt look good at all , thats why ALLIS couldnt  sell tractors , thats why no tractors were being sold !!!

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:26pm
I'm glad you last two guys finally brought up the fact that nobody could sell tractors in the 80's due to the ecomony.  Everybody was talking just like A-C???  A-C had top of the line products in the mid 80's and I believe they could have survived in some way if like the four guys who formed AGCO could have just bought the agriculture division of A-C and did what they did with AGCO instead of selling if off to KHD.  Just my thoughts I guess.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:27pm
Gotta agree with Doug. Everyone was hurting in the 80s. AC was just a more diverse company than some of the others. Tractor division wasn't doing good, Deutz wants it. Why not? Unload it on them and watch the profits go back up. No more dumping money from other divisions to shore up AG. Problem solved.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:29pm
I believe IHC went under a year or more before AC.  Biggest Farm equipment company in the world couldn't make it.  MF was hurting bad, JD was close to the edge, made some money with other products, (lawn and garden and building frames for motorhomes, etc.) Ford was being carried along by the car/truck division

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:37pm

One last comment, Dave, if I may. The only point to bringing up 1985 was that KHD bought a company that wasn't selling tractors. There was no demand for the orange Allis Chalmers. KHD certainly did themselves no favors with the changes they made, but there was no good reason to continue with the product AC could not sell. People weren't buying orange Allis Chalmers tractors in 1985, there was no reason to believe new ownership alone building the same unsellable product would change that. Just a thought.

The last comment is to thank Terry for taking pics of a factory most of us will never see in person. Cool pics, Terry, and much appreciated.

This is just plain wrong! AC had a respectable market share into 1985 and there was (and still is) a tremendous respect for the AC tractors. What was MF doing in 1985? The problems within AC were related to a coal gasification project that was started during the Carter administration, and when Carter was expelled from the White House, the project was tabled and it cost AC nearly a Billion dollars - hence the sale of the ag business which was still profitable. As has been posted here many times, the 8000 series tractors were among the best on the market during their time and still command high resale prices. The biggest product snafu from AC in the early 80's would likely be the N7 combine, but that too got fixed. Look at the problems IH had, Ford was eventually sold to NH (where they wisely kept the colors), so there were many issues with all manufacturers, not just AC. Speaking of MF, along with going bankrupt, their prime tractor of the time (I believe the 2000 series) had many issues and We had local dealers that were just dropped with no parts or service remaining. So this is what the wrecking crew in Duluth is going to bank on!

I too, believe that NA is not an important player for AGCO going forward, but from a financial strategic position, I don't see how you can be successful in the global ag business without a strong play in NA. The naysayers can bloviate all you want about the "insignificance" of the Orange tractor customer, but facts are facts and they are speaking pretty loudly right now.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:05am
The big problem AC had was the AG division was making money all along , that was money being used to shore up the whole corporation ; when farm equipment got slow , and then stood still ; it all went to hell quick ; they had other good bussinesses , but to many sucking the life out of them; the Coal Gassification had great promise for a while ; but it too came at a bad time in THE ECONOMY SITUATION ; That could have been huge , but as many INNOVATORS do; that much innovation takes money to pay off ; ALLIS just got caught with too many irons in the fire at a bad time

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:09am
Too many NON- PAYING IRONS THAT IS !!!

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:41am
Despite any conjecture the lesson from history is that any company no matter how good their product is, how diversified they are or how big they are can go under and cease to exist.  AGCO is decent sized and has a decent product.  But they are poorly run and alienating their customer base during an economic downturn.  They also aren't diversified at all which they claim is a good thing but in who's world is that I don't know.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:01am
GBACB fan says A-C had an "unsellable product"?? I'm not sure what planet he's from. Around this region orange still dominates, even if most of it is 25+ years old. There are quite a few orange AGCO's around but I honestly can't think of one single Massey owner anywhere.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 11:26am
I see AGCO stock is up $1.15 this morning, makes you wonder.  One machine that would make sense for AGCO to market would be a extending boom forklift, like a JCB.  Most of the other ag type companies sell them although JD dropped the models they were selling, wonder why?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 11:50am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

I see AGCO stock is up $1.15 this morning, makes you wonder.  One machine that would make sense for AGCO to market would be a extending boom forklift, like a JCB.  Most of the other ag type companies sell them although JD dropped the models they were selling, wonder why?

Stock is going up for all of them because the grain supplies are looking tight meaning
more money for the farmer...Again one more reason NA should be up but have gone the other way.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 3:07pm

When IH went under they did something that AC didn't. I don't know really how it happened but somewhere down the line someone saw that the IH name was a really well recognised name that sold well and had a great reputation among American farmers(just like AC). That person, or persons, actually had some common sense and put 2+2 togeather and saw that they would be stupid not to put the IH logo on the side of their new tractors and paint them the iconic IH red.

What I wouldn't give to see that AC logo back on the side of an ORANGE tractor!!!  I know that the real AC died in 1985 but the real IH died before that. Today all of your IH and JD fans have either new Case IH or John Deere tractors to show how their companies name is carried into the 21st century. All we have is tractors that are either 25 years old and older (the good stuff)  or what used to be orange AGCO tracotors.  

Having the name back on a tractor would hopefully let the world see that again that the Allis-Chalmers name is a name that that is a world leader and the definition of quality and innovation.

It about makes me sick to be watching TV and see JD commercials when I know that AC had a better in 1985 than JD does now. AGCO was on the right track until recently. If they would have stuck with the name AGCO ALLIS in North America and put the AC logo on their equipment it would have been perfect in my opinion (shot of AC not folding in '85).

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
For what it is worth, ILGleaner and AllisFreak, I am not saying the orange should have been dropped.  I just don't like hearing that all Masseys are crap.
I know that Massey shot themselves in the foot with the 2000 series and have been trying to re-cover ever since.  AC had a bad reputation back home with the 7000 series.  They didn't seem to stand up to slow speed, high load potato harvesters.  Because of that, a lot of people wouldn't touch an 8000 series which I believe is a very good machine.  Every brand has had their problems at one time or another.
The best way out of the whole mess in a perfect world would be for Agco to try to pick up the AC name now that AC has been bought out again (and presumably the name will go in the trashcan) and perhaps put out a limited edition or special order AC edition in orange?  I can understand not wanting to maintain another whole network of dealers for one color.  Perhaps it could be sold through current MF and Challenger dealers who would often have been Agco orange dealers anyway.
My thought anyway.  I would like to see the orange stick around one way or another. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:22pm
Allis Chalmers37 and Spud: You both make some very good points. I also think Agco should seriously consider purchasing the Allis-Chalmers name and logo if they can, and put it to some kind of use to redeem themselves to all the people that they've alienated. Don't see it happening though.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:26pm
Hey Spud, you didn't happen to work for a large potato farm in west central Minnesota back in the 90's did you? I knew a guy nicknamed Spud back then. The farm he worked for used all green equipment.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:55pm
Forum: Farm Equipment
Topic: Pictures from the Agco Tractor Plant in France
Posted By: redline

I am pretty sure that AGCO will be disappointed in the amount of effort that many of the old diehard AC/Deutz-Allis/AGCO Allis dealers put into selling the Massey line. I imagine alot of them will drop AGCO all together, and many others will pick up another equipment line to sell. I think a large number of the AGCO dealers already had New Holland to work with, I am sure they will push on those even harder (even if they are uglier than a mud fence)
By not offering the full line of equipment and tractors from small tractors all the way up through the AGCOStars automatically through the orange dealers, the orange line was being set up to fail.

I totally agree. The Agco Allis dealers have been getting the shaft for years, not having the full line of equipment.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 9:04pm
Hello Allis Freak:
No, I grew up in Prince Edward Island.  Milked cows and worked on neighboring potato farms too.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:33pm
That was strange! I deleted that post because I thought it sounded incoherent, but it showed up anyway. I will confess to posting it originally, otherwise people will think it was just pulled out of thin air.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 10:52pm
Here is another example of a marketing blunder that was corrected because of public outcry.
http://www.kcci.com/money/25360260/detail.html - http://www.kcci.com/money/25360260/detail.html
See how you do that, AGCO? When you screw up, you fix it and go on. Ignoring the blunder doesn't do anyone any good.
And of course there is this blunder:
[TUBE]W6t7deaplgY[/TUBE]

-------------

Posted By: SHAMELESS
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 11:25pm
very simple guys....when you go order a new tractor...tell them you want it painted orange, if they say no, tell em then forget it i'll go buy a kabota! think they'll wanna miss a sale?

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 7:47am
Redline, I got that in an email notice and when I looked at the forum, it wasn't there, that's why I made an attempt to Quote it. I thought it sounded perfectly reasonable. I guess you never know what might happen on these here puters.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 8:26am
Originally posted by redline redline wrote:

Here is another example of a marketing blunder that was corrected because of public outcry.
http://www.kcci.com/money/25360260/detail.html - http://www.kcci.com/money/25360260/detail.html
See how you do that, AGCO? When you screw up, you fix it and go on. Ignoring the blunder doesn't do anyone any good.
And of course there is this blunder:
[TUBE]W6t7deaplgY[/TUBE]

Thanks for the great link Redline! As has been stated a million times here, the Duluth wrecking ball don't give a hoot about customers like Cokes CEO, as He will go down like the Captain of the Titanic (or save himself and his shipmates will go down). It is interesting in the clip that Pepsi took the day off to celebrate. In AGCO's case, CNH and Deere don't even notice as AGCO is on the high speed highway to complete irrelevence!

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 1:46pm
So I wonder who the flooring salesman passes the protest letters to?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 9:24pm
I think the little dictator shreds 'em.

-------------

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 9:55pm
Allis went out of business because of bad management decisions not bad equipment we will see what Agco does now that they are all Massey.One other item Agco needs to increase their dealer network and how are they going to do that by forcing Massey tractors on everyone?

Posted By: black_no_3
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 2:36pm
I used to work at Allis-Chalmers for 10 years, right up until 1985. I'm telling you all, I still miss that company and it will never be replaced for the void it left in my life. There was a tremendous amount of pride and dedication by alot of professional people, blue and white collar, to the product. The best people I've ever seen or met in business, worked for that company, so it's no wonder the tractors were well respected. One of the saddest days of my life was walking out of Allis-Chalmers Tractor Division on my last day of work in June '85. Anybody else posting here work there?

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Spud Spud wrote:

AC had a bad reputation back home with the 7000 series.  They didn't seem to stand up to slow speed, high load potato harvesters.  Because of that, a lot of people wouldn't touch an 8000 series which I believe is a very good machine.  

There is very little difference between an 8000 series and a 7000 series. What were the problems back then? Around here Allis had a good name back then and in my area they were gaining market because of a very good nearby dealer.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: black_no_3
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 2:46pm
Also, I'm not really sure the reason the company went under had to do with management decisions. I think some of the new product ventures of the late 70's had an effect, but the bottom line was - the economy was the worst in 50 years back in the late 70's, early 80's. When you got 20+% prime rates and you're selling huge farm equipment, farmers couldn't afford to upgrade unless they had cash. Your average farmer didn't have the type of cash flow to spend on an 8550 - they took out loans. No farmer in their right mind would pony up several tens of thousands for a new tractor at 20+%. It was a crazy time in our country. The AC tractor division folded because the market had shrunk to the point where one of the major players alone could have support the volume demand of the entire market! That is a fact. At one point AC was making 60 tractors a day. Breakeven was something like 25 units, and in the end, there wasn't sufficient market demand to make those volumes. People always want to blame management, but trust me, management tried to negotiate new reduced wage and benefit contracts with the union, but the union leaders wouldn't budge. They (union) thought management was bluffing right up until the end. Those union guys made ridiculous wages for the times, and I'm not just talking hourly wage, I'm talking benefits. Those legacy costs destroyed the cost structure of the company to be competitive. Everybody gets some blame for this failure, but bottom line, it was the general market condition that didn't improve for 5 - 6 years of Reagans term. 79 to 85 were terrible years for business.

Posted By: BiG210
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 4:32pm
I see a green gleaner in the backround far right.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 4:48pm
What are they doing with a Gleaner there? Don't they realize that Laverda is now one of their core brands?
Kinda surprised to see this topic bumped to the top of the heap again.........

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:35pm
Nothing lasts forever, CaseIH is now CNH. Someday they may be just Fiat. If you added up all the brand names Fiat controls around the world I belive they may be they largest tractor company in the world.

When AGCO ceases to exist and the company is called Massey Fergusen (sp?) they will rewrite history and AGCO, AC, White, Oliver, MM and eventually most of the other euro brands they currently sell will become "lesser known classics" from "failed" companies and the Massey history will begin with the original Massey and go "seamlessly" into the future. The victors always write history.

Posted By: ScottinSWIL
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 8:00pm
 It seems more fitting if they could have used their brand name "Agco" for the NA market.  I prefer orange but would have been more accepting to a red Agco as opposed to a MF name.  It is an exciting time now with high grain prices the last couple of years and the changing technology.  Why did they decide to come out with a new series that was supposedly designed with farmers ideas and then immediaely s*** can it ?  Were these farmers all Eureopean or what?  For me it just comes down to that MF badge more than the hood color.   It is frustrating that they can specialize their product line for certain parts of the world but are now telling us NA customers that ve vill love Massey.  I'm just glad for now they haven't screwed up the Gleaner line. It is true that this is just another point in Ag history that is tough to follow for some of us.  CaseIH and NH though, have been smart enough so far to keep the red and blue fans happy.  I'm sure it would be tough for one side or the other to change also.

Posted By: Unit3
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 8:07pm
I wouldn't mind if they painted them all silver to match my Gleaner and then sell different side hood color kits that would light up the name and size when the light get switched on. You could buy a used tractor with green Oliver badges and swop them out of orange AC's.

Posted By: ScottinSWIL
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 8:24pm
 Unit3-------------That is another good idea.  Too bad the Agco big shots didn't listen to some people with some common sense before running off some customers.  I guess common sense and dollars and cents don't always go together.

Posted By: ncrc5315
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 10:02pm
Spud, you are absolutely right, it is the same tractor no matter what the color of the hood, and it was a very difficult decision to switch to CaseIh because I really liked the CVT transmission. But here is why I did it. I had heard rumors of agco dropping the orange paint in July of 2009, I asked the district rep if they was any truth to this. I was told that agco was very committed to the agco tractor line. So I traded tractors. Less then six months later, the agco line is being dropped. Neither one of my local agco dealers have sold a high horse power MF. By agco's own admission the MF line is not nearly as strong as the agco line in the midwest. (Where they are strong is outside of the midwest, meaning small tractors, larger profit per unit). So how long till the Gleaner name is dropped? If you noticed, the Super Sevens didn't get the new unloading auger, or new poly sides to match the A series.
My point in all of this is this. agco created uncertainty and doubt as to if they are interested in the midwest market at all. I for one was not going to wait around, and see if the MF's have any resale value. My banker, has already suggested that I lower my machinery value by 10-12%, that is a pretty big hit on the balance sheet, not going to risk that again.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net