Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=188837
Printed Date: 06 May 2024 at 1:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How would you like to be told you have cancer
Posted By: dr p
Subject: How would you like to be told you have cancer
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 8:06pm
After 35 years of practice, I had to deliver some really bad news to a long term patient; what he thought was a dental abscess turned out to be metastatic cancer. Before I said anything, I got two oral surgeons to confirm my fears. It was after 6 PM by then, so I called him Saturday morning, asked if I could come over to his house . I sat down with him and his wife, told them the cat scan was actually much concerning then I had originally told him Friday but I didn't want to say anything until I triple checked it. I gave him some names of places he should consider for treatment and how sorry I was and that I would help in anyway I could.

Ran into a physician friend Sunday morning, told him about the case. He said he would never go to a patient 's house, he only delivers that news in his office. And even though I knew it was cancer, he would let the oncologist tell the patient after all the tests. What do you guys think?

Replies:
Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 8:19pm
I was told (in 2017) by a doctor that I had never met before. MY Nurse Practitioner had sent me for an ultrasound, then a CT Scan (insurance wouldn't approve CT Scan until I after an ultrasound). The doctor that read the CT Scan (I believe he was a radiologist) told me that I had cancer.

My feeling is there is no easy way, but I admire the fact that you let a patient know yourself. I, personally, think you went above and beyond by informing him as soon as possible. Most doctors would have waited until after the weekend. 

MY NP diagnosed it early and, to my thinking, is responsible for saving my life.

Posted By: Red Bank
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 9:18pm
Dr P I commend you for doing what you did and if in the patients shoes I would want you to do that for me. Chances are setting the appointment up like that allowed them to ready themselves for what they knew would be bad news. It shows to me that you care for your patients in a way that has long been forgotten in the medical world. It’s not easy delivering news like that but I think you did the right thing.

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 9:22pm
dr p I believe you are a very good man! He is your patient and you took care and time for him. A person can't ask for more!

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 9:23pm
I commend you for doing that. Not many would. Never an easy situation. I received my news after getting handed off twice. Early detection was noted by a wellness check as part of our insurance plan.

Posted By: Wispitfiremike
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 11:35pm
The fact you went to the house and didn't duck out and call says alot about you as person. I am sure they had an inkling of possibility but I am sure they appreciated the extra effort. I heard on the phone though circumstances from confirmation came in late and need to take next step were present. Referral for next step is also helpful as details at that point can get foggy from shock of diagnosis.

Posted By: Dirt Farmer
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 1:46am
Like the others have said, you did a very commendable thing there and took bed side manner to the next level. Wish more Doctors took your approach. Follow your heart and treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Posted By: Bob D. (La)
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 5:10am
You did a Good thing Dr. P. I would sure appreciate a doc going out of his way to tell me the bad news. May your new week go much smoother. Hope he gets follow up in a timely fashion. God Bless.

-------------
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!

Posted By: JoeM(GA)
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 5:21am
I would much rather hear news like this from someone I knew and trusted.
As said above, I agree you did the compassionate and humane choice delivering devastating news face to face in their place of comfort, not in an office setting.

-------------
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:33am
Dr. P, as the others said, you went above and beyond.  That's a level of care and service that's extremely rare these days.  As awful as the news was, I'm sure they appreciate how you handled it.  There's no good way, but you did a very kind thing.  

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:36am
I don't think you or they will ever regret how you handled things.

Posted By: TomC
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:40am
Dr P you did the right and graceful thing. I had colon cancer in 2015, it was an absolute fluke they caught it,news was delivered to me by the surgeon that cured me, after 7 years I am cancer free but my surgeon to this day still calls me. On the flip side our son was diagnosed in April this year with esophagus cancer and the way that news was broken to us was like getting sucker punched, apparently the doctors office couldn't reach him so,they had my wife's cell number, a lab technician called her out of the blue and dropped that bomb on us,,I don't know who or how that ball got dropped but a phone call from a lab technician is not the way to break that news. That said other than that initial screw up Cox Cancer in Springfield has gone the extra mile to give him the treatments to whip this crap. In my book you did the right thing in taking it into your own hands,it may piss off some 9 to 5 HR idiot worried you stepped on their turf but screw them they go home at 5 people like you wear your job 24/7.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:54am
Currently have a abcess and dentist is worried of it. Do not know if could handle it as well as you if diagnosed cancerous

Posted By: TomC
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 7:10am
Do NOT put that on the back burner Dave,

Posted By: nella(Pa)
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 7:19am
Dr. P., you did the proper thing, if only all doctors and technicians had your principles and skills.  

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 7:58am
My hat's off to you, Dr. P
Darrel

Posted By: D19allisowner
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:30am
I think that was a very upstanding thing to do. We need more doctors like you!

-------------
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:18am
A person who stands out and cares and goes that extra MILE to inform or comfort another . It's a real caring individual that does that - 
  When wife passed, about a few days late her internist called me to pass on his condolences - was again something one does not expect . 
  There seems to be few out there who value their patients , not as just a name on a chart but actually take the time to know them , then be human and caring in the full Dr. / Patient  interaction .
  God Bless for being a caring person !

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: dr p
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 2:16pm
thanks guys. Feeling pretty crappy but your feedback helps a lot.

Posted By: Scott B
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 3:18pm
Had my appendix perforate last year.  Surgeon told me there was a 1 in million chance I could have cancer of the appendix.  He took time out of his vacation (which turned into a covid quarantine for him) to call and tell me things didn't look good. 

It all turned out on the good side for me but I remain very appreciative of his advance call

-------------
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:18pm
     Dr. P, you did a good and compassionate thing. There should be more like you.
      Have to tell about an elderly my cousin. Was diagnosed with lung cancer about 1 1/2 yrs. ago and told she had no more than 6 months to live. Due to her age and the short time diagnosis she decided not to do chemotherapy. Last week she had a check up and scan and then told her there was no cancer. Sure would be stressful to live with the knowledge that you were on a short rope all that time. What if she had gone ahead with the chemo? Guess the  moral is to always get another opinion if there is something that could be serious going on.

Posted By: matador
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 1:05am
You did the right thing. I was there next to her when I found out my mother had Pancreatic cancer last July. None of the doctors seemed to want to tell us. Every doctor who wouldn't give a straight answer just made me panic even more. I knew it was bad, and I knew I'd probably lose my mother, but not knowing is even worse sometimes.

As for if I'd want to be told if I had cancer, who would? But you know what, after watching the woman I've known and loved more than anyone else in my whole life go from being totally fine to dead eight months later, my bond with my mother is even stronger. She's with God in Heaven, and some day I will be too. I'm awestruck by how much she wanted to fight. When we finally got a doctor to tell us, her words were "Don't give up on me. I'm going to beat this". I'd love to be as strong of person as she was. I think I'd have probably fallen apart completely. But, the doctors not telling her for what seemed like an eternity really dragged her down before she got the news. You did the right thing.

-------------
Tractors: Allis WD (x2), Allis 7040, Oliver 1800A Diesel, Case 830 Caseomatic, White 2-105, Massey 1105 | Plus a Gleaner F2, 30' A-C 1300 Cultivator, Flightline bale elevator

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 12:55pm
Doc you did the right thing. Sorry to be but late had things that needed doing yesterday. 

But I have been on the patients end of this conversation back in the summer of 16, THE SUMMER FROM HELL.Without all the tests first guess was hepatis's . Tests came back as not that. With another week of tests gallbladder not working. Sent to a surgen to remove it, he wanted more tests. By luck a new machine a hour away and a very good doc to run it. He put a stint in my baile duct and sent me home. But very weak and miserable, turned out all the hardware poking around set off pancreatitis. But not know this called the surgeon, he took a quick look and and looked at more test numbers. HE drops the big one on me  you have pancreatic cancer . What do we do, you have only months left was his answer. His next wards are I have friend at Stanford needing test subjects let me call him. Walked out of his office in shock, but having big doubts. My wife was looking after her mothers estate and needed to look for papers in a safe deposit box. I about pass out in the car. She hauls me to hospital to get things under control. They get on the phone to the doc who had looked around inside. He had sent me home saying nothing to big wrong. I am sure he told the hospital that, but they pushed the lab where he had sent a sample for biopsy. NO CANCER thankfully only hours after the news I was almost dead already.

The problem where far from over. But with the bile duct open and pancreatitis under control I started to feel better than in the last month. All doctors but the surgeon who was to remove the gallbladder where lets get it out of you.  Should have insisted on another surgeon but being a small community by medical standards no a easy thing. Three week later he was ready. Told it would be laparoscopic and I would go home that night. When I awoke we have bad news did it by cutting you wide open, your here for a few day. After one trouble and another was 13 yes 13 day in the hospital.   BUT NO CANCER AND I AM STILL HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yes some doctors have no bed side manners. The story was no over yet ether.

The doctor that put the stint in  said it needed to be changed, which set off another case of pancreatitis, for more fun hospital time. Finally in spring of 17 the blockage in the duct was broken up and stint removed from bile duct. But pancreases was upset and almost sent me back to hospital again.

But after being treated like just another lab rat to have experiments run on. I will say thank you for your patient that you went out of your way to treat like person of worth. With the shock they are in I can see where they might of forgot the THANK YOU but I am sure will be thinking it at times.

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 1:30pm
Very tough spot to be in. I commend you for how you handled it. Compassionate caring. I'd rather be told in my living room than the Dr's office. Chin up. you did good.

Posted By: Tracy Martin TN
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 7:49pm
A friend in your corner helps with everything! You did great, compassion goes a long ways! God Bless!Tracy

-------------
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 9:50pm
Dr p.
 Not a easy thing to do but I also believe you did way more than most doctors.
Regards,
Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 12:21am
**high fives Dr P**! yep Doc...you did the right thing...i know you hurt and feel sick because of it, i know i did when ever i had to go to someones house to deliver news that one of their family members was just killed in an accident...i was sick for days afterwards. i know you will think about that off and on prolly for the rest of your life and you'll still get a sick feeling! you are a true professional with feelings!  

Posted By: fixer1958
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 7:18am
I think what you did was the best thing ever.
With all the stuff I have had to deal with there is only 2 doctors that showed any sort 
caring I guess you would say.

Of the dozens of doctors, nurses, technicians I can immediately tell who is on there game and who is not.

One in particular was when I had to go to St Louis on a clinical trial for melanoma, It was a teaching hospital. It was one of 4 in the country and that was the closest. The doctor and nurse were awesome but every now and again they would get students I guess in there and be a part of the 'once over check' before I got my shots. This one 'student' 
was looking in my ear and grabbed onto my earlobe and jammed that thing in there and I jerked back and told her to take in easy. She gave me the stink eye and did it again. So I jerked back again and said listen dammit, I'm not some dead pig you are practicing on. 

Anyway. Nicely done sir. I commend you.

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 1:57pm
  I agree with everyone else, the way you done it showed how much you cared about the person and going to his home on Saturday show how much respect & how professional you are..

Posted By: Dan Hauter
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:30pm
In late 2007 I got the news that I had kidney cancer. It was test day at the hospital. Patients were lined up in recliners in a large room. I was sitting in 1 of the recliners. I noticed the doctors walking up to patients, telling them good news, & the patients leaving. My urologist came in, asked me to come out into the hall, shook my hand, and said "I'm sorry, you have cancer.". The hospital could have made a small consultation room available, although that wouldn't have changed the news. It was a bad day. My wife was in the waiting room so I asked her to come talk to me. I told her & she refused to believe the news & wanted to tell the doctor that he had no right to tell me that I had cancer. I told her that that was his job. Not a good day for me. The update is that I'm still here.  After the insurance company nightmare, the surgery, & my recovery I sent 3 doctors thank you notes. Doctor #1 is my primary care doctor, doctor #2 is the urologist who diagnosed me, & doctor #3 is the surgeon. They're the reason I'm still here. The insurance company, however, can go straight to hell!

Posted By: FREEDGUY
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 4:56pm
I've given your question much thought since your first post , If "I" was the patient, "hit -me hard-and honest " with the prognosis Confused, just my opinion though 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net